Re: [Y-Mail] Vote to chat with AOL members

  • Nancy J
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
      "From: "S. J. "Jay" Bienvenu" <bienvenunet@...>
      We can take polls all we want about this (really, who would vote "no"?)"

      I voted no.

      I have no desire to chat with AOL.  The chat feature on email isn't something I use very much at all, nor do I have a great need for it.   The only use I can see for it for me, would be for tech support, OR if they made it so that large files could be shared.

      Unfortunately, large files can't yet be shared in the chat version of messenger, and I have no interest in the full version.  So, I voted no.

      L8!

      Nancy J
      Ordinaryfoolisnj@...

      "I am not my hair. I am not this skin. I am the soul that lives within."
      India Arie

      "Truth is anything I agree with"
      www.cindyalexander.com

      http://www.myspace.com/ordinaryfoolisnj

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
        I don't know if you wanted our votes here, but I will whole-heartedly
        vote "yes" in favor of being able to chat with AOL members. I have so
        many people that I would chat with if I was able to do that. I refuse
        to download AIM.

        GK

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "daynelloconor" <daynelloconor@...>

          wrote:

          > EVERYBODY, please vote if you would like to be able to chat with AOL
          > members like how we can with MSN members. I am trin to make this
          happen
          > but I need more votes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks in
          advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • dcross1665
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2007
            I use a chat program called Trillian and can chat with MSN, AOL,
            Yahoo, ICQ, and IRC people from one common interface.

            You should try it.

            wrote:

            > Yahoo! said I needed to prove that people really wanted this
            feature
            > so I am using the poll for that and then I am going to give it to
            > them and people have already voted "no"
            >

            > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "S. J. \"Jay\" Bienvenu"
            > <bienvenunet@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I don't see any point in voting on this. AOL and Yahoo will
            decide
            > for themselves whether to work on interoperability. We can take
            polls
            > all we want about this (really, who would vote "no"?) and it won't
            > make any difference until both AOL and Yahoo decide that
            > interoperability is better than propriety.

            > > Jay Bienvenu | jay@ | www.bienvenu.net
            > > 360.yahoo.com/bienvenunet | raichu12.com/wg.asp

          • S. J. "Jay" Bienvenu
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2, 2007
              From: daynelloconor <daynelloconor@...>
              Yahoo! said I needed to prove that people really wanted this feature
              so I am using the poll for that and then I am going to give it to
              them and people have already voted "no"

              And Yahoo and AOL both have hundreds of millions of customers. They are both capable of polling a statistically-significant sample of their customers (tens if not hundreds of thousands) to determine whether the interest is really there in interoperating their services.

              I applaud your effort and desire to take action, but I have a hard time believing that Yahoo really expects one user out of hundreds of millions to prove anything to them. And I have a hard time believing that both Yahoo and AOL really need or want any more evidence besides what they have already collected to make a decision on interoperability. There have been movements calling for one IM standard for many years now. To their credit, Yahoo and MSN saw the value of interoperating, but AOL hasn't. I doubt that they will change their minds any time soon.

              -- Jay Bienvenu