What's with these ads for paying AT&T Yahoo customers?

  • Prasad
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 1, 2007
      Opened my email today and bang! Along with the new option for chat
      inside email, I had all these ads on the top, on the sides. Whats
      happening here AT&T & Yahoo?? As a paying customer I certainly do not
      like to see ads in my experience, not to mention this slows down my
      email experience as well!! I have been heartily recommending the new
      Yahoo beta and AT&T Yahoo to my friends, I guess it is finally time to
      say goodbye! I refuse to pay yet again to upgrade to get rid of ads.
      I've been resisting looking a gmail and Live mail, I guess its time to
      move though.
    • RS
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 1, 2007
        Hi Prasad,

        If you are referring to the AT&T customers who get ads, I am so furious about it that I'm switching not just e-mail/net service, but phone service too!  I feel stongly that I'm paying for the service, so I should recieve no ads.  It appears to be something that only AT&T customers are being put through, so it seems like either a bad deal was made between AT&T & Yahoo or one of the them is getting greedy and double-dipping.  It hasn't happened on my farm yet, but if you just got hit, I'm probably not far behind.  I will be voting with my wallet, and I suggest anyone else who is upset do the same.  Makes me sick, and pretty angry as you can tell.  Bad ideas are bad ideas, and companies need to feel the sting of being stupid.  I'll keep my free yahoo account, mostly because I rarely use it, but hearing your experience that ads are also on the top in the paid version...well, I've said what I feel already.  To anyone who will listen.

        -RS

        Opened my email today and bang! Along with the new option for chat
        inside email, I had all these ads on the top, on the sides. Whats
        happening here AT&T & Yahoo?? As a paying customer I certainly do not
        like to see ads in my experience, not to mention this slows down my
        email experience as well!! I have been heartily recommending the new
        Yahoo beta and AT&T Yahoo to my friends, I guess it is finally time to
        say goodbye! I refuse to pay yet again to upgrade to get rid of ads.
        I've been resisting looking a gmail and Live mail, I guess its time to
        move though.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

            mailto:Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

      • Michael Taylor-Judd
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 1, 2007
          Seems like you should be taking that up with AT&T, not Yahoo...

          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 1, 2007
            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Prasad" <patiji@...> wrote:

            > Whats happening here AT&T & Yahoo?? As a paying customer I certainly
            > do not like to see ads in my experience,

            By "paying customer" do you mean that you are a Mail Plus customer and
            you are getting ads? One of the reasons I became a plus customer was
            so that I didn't get ads. So far I haven't seen any.
          • Liz Yumrutepe
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 1, 2007

              if you mean that you are paying AT&T? that service you are paying for is DSL to access the internet... read your contract details and it says nothing about your email account not seeing any advertisements, and you probably got it because you opted for a bundle package since you were making a decision with "your wallet" ... if you want no ads than than you will have to upgrade your yahoo account to a plus membership.

              "Success is a journey, not a destination''
                                     http://www.kaplan.edu
                    *-Knowledge is the key to life-*

              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 2, 2007
                Here's how I understand things.  Yes, I pay for AT&T to provide me internet (DSL).  They have some deal with Yahoo (I don't know the nature of their corporate relationship) whereby I am provided a Yahoo e-mail interface with the 'pacbell.net' domain.  The account comes with the service, thus is a paid-for item, even if DSL is the service in question.  I also have free a yahoo account, whose interface has always had ads, and is significantly different in apperance.  The 'pacbell.net' one has historically never had ads.  Now they tell me it will.  The dominant wisdom on the net has historically been that when you pay for a service such as this, usually you are also paying for not having ads.  They have now gone against this wisdom, a fact I resent.  Now, granted, there may be nothing in my contracts or ToU about ads (and frankly I would be surprised if they closed that door on themselves anyway), but the users expectations are generally that paying for the service means being ad-free.  Most likely the same reason the Plus customers pay for theirs.  Imagine if they started getting ads in Plus.  I'd imagine they would be pretty upset.  I am also, for the same reasons.  I'm just paying for the same service they are in a different way, in my view.  AT&T is of course free to alter their set up any time they like, independantly of Yahoo.  So be it, that's their mistake to make.

                I have no bundle package with AT&T.   Not only did they not have such a concept when I signed up a few years ago, but I believe I am ineligible for bundling as an existing customer, for one.  For two, if you are suggesting that AT&T customers must pay even more money to upgrade to a version of their already paid-for e-mail account, just to get rid of ads, that reaches heights of absurdity so great it's unreal, and completely justifies switching away from Yahoo also, IMO.  I don't think we two are talking the same concept here, so I'll stop now.  Its hard to tell though.  Yahoo has no info to give me anywhere about this, nor does AT&T.  All I've been told is to bend over.  Until they spell it out somewhere officially, I don't think there's much point in discussing it beyond variations of "I disagree with this sucky decision" and "stop whining, you're being petty".  Which is also sorta pointless in the long run once both sides express same.  Unless you have more clarification you (or anyone) can lend, I'm content with the decision I will be making with "my wallet" in the near future.  Since I have no outlet to let any powers that be know how ridiculous I think the decision is, or get further info, I joined this group to see if I can eke out any tidbits of info any insider types might have, and perhaps bend an ear that I would otherwise not get to bend.  I think I've done that now, so I'm good.  I hope that clarifies my position and my concept of the services I currently pay for.

                Cheers,

                -RS

                > Whats happening here AT&T & Yahoo?? As a paying customer I certainly
                > do not like to see ads in my experience,

                By "paying customer" do you mean that you are a Mail Plus customer and
                you are getting ads? One of the reasons I became a plus customer was
                so that I didn't get ads. So far I haven't seen any.

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                    mailto:Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

              • S. J. "Jay" Bienvenu
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 2, 2007
                  Nice rant, but I cannot sympathize with you. I don't have AT&T Internet service. Thus I have to pay twice for my ad-free Yahoo Mail: once to my ISP to get on the Internet in the first place (and an Internet mailbox that I don't use), and then again to Yahoo Mail.

                  Unless you can find something in your contract or terms of service that states that AT&T shall provide their customers with a Yahoo Mail account that does not have ads, you are in the same boat as the rest of us who don't have AT&T. Deal with it and pay for your Internet service and for your ad-free Yahoo Mail, just like the rest of us. Or ditch Yahoo Mail for someone else. But don't blame AT&T or Yahoo for treating you just like everyone else.

                  Jay Bienvenu | jay@... | www.bienvenu.net
                  360.yahoo.com/bienvenunet | raichu12.com/wg.asp

                  > Whats happening here AT&T & Yahoo?? As a paying customer I certainly
                  > do not like to see ads in my experience,

                  By "paying customer" do you mean that you are a Mail Plus customer and
                  you are getting ads? One of the reasons I became a plus customer was
                  so that I didn't get ads. So far I haven't seen any.

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                      mailto:Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

                • .
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 3, 2007
                    The whole internet is alive with ads that download themselves on to
                    screens without bothering to discriminate between users who are
                    wealthy or poor.The only realistic means of dispensing with unwanted
                    advertising is to install an ad blocker that indiscriminately stops
                    them all from loading up on your pages.No problem for Firefox users
                    who can install an ABP extension.
                    mystic_master3.
                  • David Spanne

                      > Whats happening here AT&T & Yahoo?? As a paying customer I certainly
                      > do not like to see ads in my experience,

                      By "paying customer" do you mean that you are a Mail Plus customer and
                      you are getting ads? One of the reasons I became a plus customer was
                      so that I didn't get ads. So far I haven't seen any.

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                          mailto:Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

                    • Tim Jubinville
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 3, 2007
                        If you have Firefox there is an extension called Ad Blocker pro which blocks ads really well!

                        Tim

                        The whole internet is alive with ads that download themselves on to
                        screens without bothering to discriminate between users who are
                        wealthy or poor.The only realistic means of dispensing with unwanted
                        advertising is to install an ad blocker that indiscriminately stops
                        them all from loading up on your pages.No problem for Firefox users
                        who can install an ABP extension.
                        mystic_master3.

                        All new Yahoo! Mail
                      • Sasafrass
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 3, 2007
                          Actually, it's called AdBlock Plus. You can get it here: http://adblockplus.org/en/

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 3, 2007
                            Oh yeah... sorry wrong name;)

                            Tim

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 4, 2007
                              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Liz Yumrutepe <polishsiren@...> wrote:

                              > if you mean that you are paying AT&T? that service you are paying
                              for is DSL to access the internet... read your contract details and
                              it says nothing about your email account not seeing any
                              advertisements, and you probably got it because you opted for a
                              bundle package since you were making a decision with "your
                              wallet" ... if you want no ads than than you will have to upgrade
                              your yahoo account to a plus membership.

                              This is what really bugs me: says clearly in my account services
                              that Yahoo Mail Plus is included with my AT&T YAhoo DSL service -
                              that has always been the case.. BUT I get ads and people who don't
                              have DSL through AT&T and have bought the Yahoo Mail Plus package do
                              NOT get ads. I'm not even sure if there is an upgrade path for AT&T
                              Yahoo customers to get rid of the ads - I certainly can't find any
                              short of creating a new Yahoo-only account and upgrading that to
                              Yahoo Mail Plus. But then I would have the hassle of moving all my
                              emails, contacts, etc. I'm just really furious at this point.
                            • Liz Yumrutepe
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 4, 2007
                                So now that you know that you get the yahoo plus with your at&t service, is it limited to a time frame? such as "you get yahoo plus for the first 6 months of paid service..." If there is no time frame than you have to take it up with at&t not yahoo, because your bills and service come from at&t, you pay them... if you get nowhere with the agent than ask to speak with a supervisor, but make sure you have any recent mailings in your hand that may have announced any changes because they will be the first ones to point it out to you.

                                 Liz

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 4, 2007
                                  I actually called AT&T about it, looking find out how bad it would be.  They sent me to a tech support person who gave me a vague description of "a banner ad down the right hand side".  Sounds like it is worse than that.  I agree it sounds like an AT&T choice, not a Yahoo one.  But it's not like either one is telling us anything about it voluntarily, aside from the warning we got via e-mail a couple months back, so I wouldn't know.  There's no time frame on the interface, nor does my interface say "plus" anywhere I can see, it just came with the service.  Mine still looks the same as it ever has, I can send a screen shot if anyone wants to see it.  I've never seen the Plus interface, so I wouldn't know if they are visually similar or if this is a "just for AT&T" interface they can monkey with as a seperate animal.

                                  -RS

                                  > if you mean that you are paying AT&T? that service you are paying
                                  for is DSL to access the internet... read your contract details and
                                  it says nothing about your email account not seeing any
                                  advertisements, and you probably got it because you opted for a
                                  bundle package since you were making a decision with "your
                                  wallet" ... if you want no ads than than you will have to upgrade
                                  your yahoo account to a plus membership.

                                  This is what really bugs me: says clearly in my account services
                                  that Yahoo Mail Plus is included with my AT&T YAhoo DSL service -
                                  that has always been the case.. BUT I get ads and people who don't
                                  have DSL through AT&T and have bought the Yahoo Mail Plus package do
                                  NOT get ads. I'm not even sure if there is an upgrade path for AT&T
                                  Yahoo customers to get rid of the ads - I certainly can't find any
                                  short of creating a new Yahoo-only account and upgrading that to
                                  Yahoo Mail Plus. But then I would have the hassle of moving all my
                                  emails, contacts, etc. I'm just really furious at this point.

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      mailto:Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

                                • James
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 4, 2007
                                    It is NOT a temporary thing. It is NOT a limited time offer. AT&T
                                    (formerly SBC) accounts have just always had the plus benefits. The
                                    only difference has been the logo and the delayed feature updates.
                                    Actually, AT&T users have gotten more than just mail plus. We were
                                    granted the full on Yahoo! plus access (includes ad-free in all Y!
                                    services and a video player with G4 and others). The general Y! plus
                                    was discontinued a while ago, but those services were still given to
                                    AT&T users. I just checked and it is not even possible for AT&T users
                                    to purchase Yahoo! mail plus. The only upgrades are Business mail and
                                    web hosting, the cheapest of the two being a high ten dollars per
                                    month. This whole thing is a crock of $#!+. Under these
                                    circumstances I condone the use of ad blockers.

                                    http://billing.mail.yahoo.com/bm/Upgrades

                                    --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Liz Yumrutepe <polishsiren@...> wrote:

                                    > So now that you know that you get the yahoo plus with your at&t
                                    service, is it limited to a time frame? such as "you get yahoo plus
                                    for the first 6 months of paid service..." If there is no time frame
                                    than you have to take it up with at&t not yahoo, because your bills
                                    and service come from at&t, you pay them... if you get nowhere with
                                    the agent than ask to speak with a supervisor, but make sure you have
                                    any recent mailings in your hand that may have announced any changes
                                    because they will be the first ones to point it out to you.

                                    > Liz
                                    >
                                    > "Success is a journey, not a destination''
                                    > http://www.kaplan.edu
                                    > *-Knowledge is the key to life-*

                                  • too_much green_tea
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jun 4, 2007

                                      It is NOT a temporary thing.  It is NOT a limited time offer.  AT&T
                                      (formerly SBC) accounts have just always had the plus benefits.  The
                                      only difference has been the logo and the delayed feature updates.
                                      Actually, AT&T users have gotten more than just mail plus.  We were
                                      granted the full on Yahoo! plus access (includes ad-free in all Y!
                                      services and a video player with G4 and others).  The general Y! plus
                                      was discontinued a while ago, but those services were still given to
                                      AT&T users.  I just checked and it is not even possible for AT&T users
                                      to purchase Yahoo! mail plus.  The only upgrades are Business mail and
                                      web hosting, the cheapest of the two being a high ten dollars per
                                      month.  This whole thing is a crock of $#!+.  Under these
                                      circumstances I condone the use of ad blockers.

                                      http://billing.mail.yahoo.com/bm/Upgrades

                                      I don't have any info, but from what I've read in the news, it seems the whole ordeal began with the contract negotiation between AT&T and Yahoo. I'd imagine AT&T *icon:money eyes $-) * must have refused to budge on the lower offer, and Yahoo *icon:feeling beat up b-( * ended up saying "fine ... we'll accept that amount, but with that all your customers will be served ads with mail *icon:devil >:) * ..."

                                      http://360.yahoo.com/toomuchgreentea

                                      Bored stiff? Loosen up...
                                    • Liz Yumrutepe
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jun 4, 2007
                                        Hey, don't get mad at me... I have hated At$t for years, I refuse to deal with them, if my cable company goes belly up I will go elsewhere or back to dial-up before I would deal with that corrupted company, I was just trying to help! They are generally known for announcements of the sort. SBC was swallowed up by at$t which was already in contract with yahoo... Verizon is in contract with msn .... the phone companies are not going to develop their own browser if they can just contract with an existing one ... give it time and yahoo will be probably dropped once the contract is ready to expire... that is the AT$T way since the final phase of the take over is done and their name is on everything

                                         Liz

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jun 4, 2007
                                          Sorry if I made it sound like I was mad at you. I just wanted to be
                                          as clear as possible on the situation. I've gotten fed up with them
                                          as well. That's why I now use a plain jane Y! account and ad blocking
                                          (I'm not gonna lie). I'm not at all mad at you. I am, however, mad
                                          at AT&T/Y! for the situation the put their loyal subscribers in. And
                                          it was very underhanded the way they slipped the info in at the end of
                                          the unlimited storage notice hoping people would just call it even.
                                          What is this, AOL?