Re: [Y-Mail] FAQs

  • S. J. "Jay" Bienvenu
    Message 1 of 57 , May 2, 2007

      <turner_727@...> wrote:
      On the contrary, I get it.  I'm just not opposed to helping other people, like others here are. Yourself included.

      Excuse me, but at no time did I ever say that I was opposed to helping people. It's quite arrogant for you to make such a statement. I said from the beginning that the moderator could tell the new user what they need to know, since it will be right there in the FAQ. That helps them while saving the rest of us unnecessary messages. How hard is that to understand?

      Nancy J <ordinaryfoolisnj@...> wrote:
      No member is derespected.   If a message is rejected -- we usually give them a reason and ask them to repost the question.   IF a rule is broken, we tell them that.  If its SPAM, they're banned. But every member request for help is RESPECTED!

      I find this entire discussion disrespectful of my views on this matter. I said from the beginning that the best way to help new users is to point them to the FAQ. I never said that requests for help should be ignored. Are you going to give turner_727 the same criticism that you gave me in your very next statement? Showing respect means showing respect for EVERYONE'S opinion, even when you disagree with them.

      (For the record, I once ran a discussion board with over 2000 members. So I know what a chore it is to maintain the forum rules while being open and welcoming to new members.)

      Nancy J <ordinaryfoolisnj@...> wrote:
      There is always the delete button if you see a subject which does not interest you!

      Since you missed it the first time I said it: I don't browse this group by subject; I browse it linearly. I don't look at the subjects, and I'm not going to take the time to look at them and try to discern what is relevant and what is not. That's why the group has moderators.

      This is the Yahoo! Mail Users Group. Its stated purpose is to "ask your questions; bring your knowledge; share your tips, reviews, links, ideas, feedbacks; read and dsicuss the latest news on Y! Mail." Technical support is nowhere in that purpose. Changing someone's farm is not in that purpose.

      Again, there is no reason why we can't have a form letter to explain to new users how to solve their problems, without them fruitlessly badgering the entire group for help. This would show respect to EVERYONE--the new users who need help and the experienced users (such as myself) for whom Yahoo Mail is a vital part of their daily lives.

      -- Jay Bienvenu

    • too_much green_tea
      Message 57 of 57 , May 3, 2007
        Will do :)