Re: [Y-Mail] Re: The first public viewing of the Mail beta

  • Silvana Wasitova
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 18, 2005
      Hmm.... considering the millions of Yahoo users out there (how many users did Oddpost have?),
      I'd expect it would take more than just a "simple port".

      Silvana Wasitova - wasitova@...

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 18, 2005
        As a former Oddpost user, I would say that Silvana is on the right
        track. Oddpost won't say how many users they had when they stopped
        taking new accounts in July of 2004, but it was/is no where near the
        number that Yahoo has.

        As far as a simple port of the software, Oddpost worked under
        Internet Explorer only. If you brought it up in Firefox, it
        wouldn't even launch. Oddpost also spawned a completely locked IE
        window that you couldn't use for anything else but the Oddpost
        client and that was their way of controling the reliability of the
        interface.

        In tackling changing the Yahoo Mail client, they have to contend
        with different browsers, operating systems, and hardware to somehow
        try to satisfy every Yahoo user out there. I'm betting this thing
        could be in beta for a while longer.

        But they have a little pressure to get this done sooner than later.
        Hotmail is close on their heals with their Tsunami beta and they
        should only have to build on their existing Outlook Web Access
        client which already works very well for corporate MS Exchange users.

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Silvana Wasitova <wasitova@y...>
        wrote:

        > Hmm.... considering the millions of Yahoo users out there (how
        many users did Oddpost have?),
        > I'd expect it would take more than just a "simple port".
        >
        > Silvana Wasitova - wasitova@y...

        Guillaume
        > Beta Promote Apply for
        >

        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.

        Service.

      • abonet
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 6, 2006
          I never claimed it was "simple", but something as basic as a
          spell-checker? C'mon, they could probably hire some college student
          as an intern for a week and get that working on Mozilla.

          Heck, I'm using Google Toolbar as a spell-checker for my Yahoo! Beta
          Mail on Firefox. What's wrong with that picture?