Farm number in the address bar is gone

  • marciobenisti
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 10, 2007
      I noticed today that the farm number is not present anymore in the
      address bar when I use Yahoo mail beta. Now, what I see is:

      http://br.mg1.mail.yahoo.com/dc/launch?.rand=c16m1317hb3p0

      Insted of "mg1" was my farm number "f308".

      Does anyone know why ?
    • sasafrass452
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 10, 2007
        I noticed that too! They must've changed the server name or something.
        Same build, though..... I was on farm 308 as well.

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "marciobenisti" <marciobenisti@...> wrote:

        > I noticed today that the farm number is not present anymore in the
        > address bar when I use Yahoo mail beta. Now, what I see is:
        >
        > http://br.mg1.mail.yahoo.com/dc/launch?.rand=c16m1317hb3p0
        >
        > Insted of "mg1" was my farm number "f308".
        >
        > Does anyone know why ?

      • Brent
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 10, 2007
          If you view source and look at the last line it still gives you the
          farm number. Mine says web30805.

          Brent

          On 4/10/07, sasafrass452 <sasafrass452@...> wrote:
          > I noticed that too! They must've changed the server name or something.
          > Same build, though..... I was on farm 308 as well.
          >
          > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "marciobenisti" <marciobenisti@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I noticed today that the farm number is not present anymore in the
          > > address bar when I use Yahoo mail beta. Now, what I see is:
          > >
          > > http://br.mg1.mail.yahoo.com/dc/launch?.rand=c16m1317hb3p0
          > >
          > > Insted of "mg1" was my farm number "f308".
          > >
          > > Does anyone know why ?
          > >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Aaron Schroeder
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 10, 2007
            Yeah I do an Alt + Click on the Yahoo! Mail Beta logo and it shows that I am still on web30802.

            Aaron

            On 4/10/07, sasafrass452 <sasafrass452@ yahoo.com> wrote:
            > I noticed that too! They must've changed the server name or something.
            > Same build, though..... I was on farm 308 as well.
            >
            > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, "marciobenisti" <marciobenisti@ ...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I noticed today that the farm number is not present anymore in the
            > > address bar when I use Yahoo mail beta. Now, what I see is:
            > >
            > > http://br.mg1. mail.yahoo. com/dc/launch? .rand=c16m1317hb 3p0
            > >
            > > Insted of "mg1" was my farm number "f308".
            > >
            > > Does anyone know why ?
            > >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Aaron Schroeder
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 10, 2007
              This also could be a sign that they are getting ready to move us to a new build. On my "free" yahoo mail beta account, it still has f584 in the address bar.

              Aaron

              If you view source and look at the last line it still gives you the
              farm number. Mine says web30805.

              Brent

              On 4/10/07, sasafrass452 <sasafrass452@ yahoo.com> wrote:
              > I noticed that too! They must've changed the server name or something.
              > Same build, though..... I was on farm 308 as well.
              >
              > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, "marciobenisti" <marciobenisti@ ...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I noticed today that the farm number is not present anymore in the
              > > address bar when I use Yahoo mail beta. Now, what I see is:
              > >
              > > http://br.mg1. mail.yahoo. com/dc/launch? .rand=c16m1317hb 3p0
              > >
              > > Insted of "mg1" was my farm number "f308".
              > >
              > > Does anyone know why ?
              > >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • James
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 10, 2007
                Very odd. I wonder if there is any particular reason for this?

                My info popup says 30809 so I'm guessing the 09 refers to a server
                within the farm 308.

                I wonder if this change has been made on any other farms? My ATT f812
                account still shows the farm in the URL.

                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Brent <flapdoodle@...> wrote:

                > If you view source and look at the last line it still gives you the
                > farm number. Mine says web30805.
                >
                > Brent
                >
                > On 4/10/07, sasafrass452 <sasafrass452@...> wrote:
                > > I noticed that too! They must've changed the server name or something.
                > > Same build, though..... I was on farm 308 as well.
                > >
                > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "marciobenisti" <marciobenisti@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I noticed today that the farm number is not present anymore in the
                > > > address bar when I use Yahoo mail beta. Now, what I see is:
                > > >
                > > > http://br.mg1.mail.yahoo.com/dc/launch?.rand=c16m1317hb3p0
                > > >
                > > > Insted of "mg1" was my farm number "f308".
                > > >
                > > > Does anyone know why ?
                > > >

                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Nancy J
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 10, 2007
                  Mine says 30814. I had to allow additional javascript permissions to load mail. I hope this is the precursor to the new version. I'm looking forward to it.

                  L8!

                  Nancy J
                  Ordinaryfoolisnj@...

                  "I am not my hair. I am not this skin. I am the soul that lives within."
                  India Arie

                  "Truth is anything I agree with"
                  www.cindyalexander.com

                  http://www.myspace.com/ordinaryfoolisnj

                  Very odd. I wonder if there is any particular reason for this?

                  My info popup says 30809 so I'm guessing the 09 refers to a server
                  within the farm 308.

                  I wonder if this change has been made on any other farms? My ATT f812
                  account still shows the farm in the URL.

                  --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Brent <flapdoodle@...> wrote:

                  > If you view source and look at the last line it still gives you the
                  > farm number. Mine says web30805.
                  >
                  > Brent
                  >
                  > On 4/10/07, sasafrass452 <sasafrass452@...> wrote:
                  > > I noticed that too! They must've changed the server name or something.
                  > > Same build, though..... I was on farm 308 as well.
                  > >
                  > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "marciobenisti" <marciobenisti@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I noticed today that the farm number is not present anymore in the
                  > > > address bar when I use Yahoo mail beta. Now, what I see is:
                  > > >
                  > > > http://br.mg1.mail.yahoo.com/dc/launch?.rand=c16m1317hb3p0
                  > > >
                  > > > Insted of "mg1" was my farm number "f308".
                  > > >
                  > > > Does anyone know why ?
                  > > >

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • James
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 10, 2007
                    Checking now mine says 30812 so either I was just migrated to a
                    different server during the last several hours or my hypothesis is wrong.

                    Does f318 have this lack of farm number in the address bar or is it
                    just f308?

                    Also, seems like Ryan's dissapeared.

                    --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Nancy J <ordinaryfoolisnj@...> wrote:

                    > Mine says 30814. I had to allow additional javascript permissions
                    to load mail. I hope this is the precursor to the new version. I'm
                    looking forward to it.

                    > L8!
                    >
                    > Nancy J
                    > Ordinaryfoolisnj@...
                    >
                    > "I am not my hair. I am not this skin. I am the soul that lives
                    within."
                    > India Arie
                    >
                    > "Truth is anything I agree with"
                    > www.cindyalexander.com
                    >
                    > http://www.myspace.com/ordinaryfoolisnj

                  • Michael Taylor-Judd
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 10, 2007
                      Hey, you're right! I didn't catch that before...

                      Mine's http://us.mg1.mail.yahoo.com/

                      Peace, Love, and Mickey,

                      Michael 8-)

                      "My advice to you is simple. If you are dismayed by current policies, work to change them. Write letters, appear before governmental bodies, contact legislators. If you are unhappy with incumbent officeholders, work and vote to turn them out. Run for office."
                      --Daniel J. Evans, Governor of WA, 1965-1977 (Seattle Times, 10/13/2002)

                      I noticed today that the farm number is not present anymore in the
                      address bar when I use Yahoo mail beta. Now, what I see is:

                      http://br.mg1. mail.yahoo. com/dc/launch? .rand=c16m1317hb 3p0

                      Insted of "mg1" was my farm number "f308".

                      Does anyone know why ?

                    • too_much green_tea
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 11, 2007
                        Ryan would definitely be able to give a more complete explanation, but I would guess that the "new" url could mean the backend of the farm has been updated (don't know if it has anything to do with new builds though).

                        Come and visit my 360°
                        http://360.yahoo.com/toomuchgreentea

                        Checking now mine says 30812 so either I was just migrated to a
                        different server during the last several hours or my hypothesis is wrong.

                        Does f318 have this lack of farm number in the address bar or is it
                        just f308?

                        Also, seems like Ryan's dissapeared.

                        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Nancy J <ordinaryfoolisnj@...> wrote:

                        > Mine says 30814. I had to allow additional javascript permissions
                        to load mail. I hope this is the precursor to the new version. I'm
                        looking forward to it.

                        > L8!
                        >
                        > Nancy J
                        > Ordinaryfoolisnj@...
                        >
                        > "I am not my hair. I am not this skin. I am the soul that lives
                        within."
                        > India Arie
                        >
                        > "Truth is anything I agree with"
                        > www.cindyalexander.com
                        >
                        > http://www.myspace.com/ordinaryfoolisnj

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Finding fabulous fares is fun.
                      • Sasafrass
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 11, 2007
                          Hmm, mine now says 30807. It was 30805.....

                          Ryan, can you please explain what's happening? Why don't we see f308 in the url anymore?

                          My Yahoo Group- Sassy's Corner
                          IM me! Sasafrass452(Yahoo)

                          wrote:

                          I noticed today that the farm number is not present anymore in the
                          address bar when I use Yahoo mail beta. Now, what I see is:

                          http://br.mg1.mail.yahoo.com/dc/launch?.rand=c16m1317hb3p0

                          Insted of "mg1" was my farm number "f308".

                          Does anyone know why ?

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                              mailto:Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

                        • Liz Yumrutepe
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 11, 2007
                            her explained it al long time ago.... the numbers after that is the machine that your account is on at the time, it will change due to load, 308 is the farm but they have more than one machine that runs it

                            Liz

                            "Success is a journey, not a destination''
                                                   http://www.kaplan.edu
                                  *-Knowledge is the key to life-*

                            wrote:

                            I noticed today that the farm number is not present anymore in the
                            address bar when I use Yahoo mail beta. Now, what I see is:

                            http://br.mg1. mail.yahoo. com/dc/launch? .rand=c16m1317hb 3p0

                            Insted of "mg1" was my farm number "f308".

                            Does anyone know why ?

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                                http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Y-Mail/

                                http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Y-Mail/ join

                                mailto:Y-Mail- digest@yahoogrou ps.com
                                mailto:Y-Mail- fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com

                                http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

                          • Vincent Jorrand
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 11, 2007
                              318 has not had the farm number in the address bar in a while. I am not sure how long.
                              The last 2 digits have always been moving around, they indicate which server in the server farm host your current session.
                              They can change each time you come back to Yahoo! Mail  (actually just pressing refresh will usually give you a new server).
                              It is random, probably based on load balancing within the farm.

                              Vincent

                              Checking now mine says 30812 so either I was just migrated to a
                              different server during the last several hours or my hypothesis is wrong.

                              Does f318 have this lack of farm number in the address bar or is it
                              just f308?

                              Also, seems like Ryan's dissapeared.

                              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, Nancy J <ordinaryfoolisnj@ ...> wrote:

                              > Mine says 30814. I had to allow additional javascript permissions
                              to load mail. I hope this is the precursor to the new version. I'm
                              looking forward to it.

                              > L8!
                              >
                              > Nancy J
                              > Ordinaryfoolisnj@ ...
                              >
                              > "I am not my hair. I am not this skin. I am the soul that lives
                              within."
                              > India Arie
                              >
                              > "Truth is anything I agree with"
                              > www.cindyalexander. com
                              >
                              > http://www.myspace. com/ordinaryfool isnj

                            • too_much green_tea
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 11, 2007
                                I believe the last 2 digits actually changes within
                                the same session as well. :)

                                I can't double check at the moment, but I recall that
                                each time messages are fetched, they can be coming
                                from a different server.

                                --- Vincent Jorrand <vjorrand@...> wrote:

                                > 318 has not had the farm number in the address bar
                                > in a while. I am not sure how long.
                                > The last 2 digits have always been moving around,
                                > they indicate which server in the server farm host
                                > your current session.
                                > They can change each time you come back to Yahoo!
                                > Mail (actually just pressing refresh will usually
                                > give you a new server).
                                > It is random, probably based on load balancing
                                > within the farm.
                                >
                                > Vincent

                                Come and visit my 360°
                                http://360.yahoo.com/toomuchgreentea

                              • Ing. Rafael E. Silva
                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 11, 2007
                                  30806

                                  As far as I can remember, based on what was written here, this number is composed of
                                  two different groups.  The first group is composed of the first 3 digits and this is the farm number (308),
                                  and the last 2 number is the other group.  This is the server assigned within this farm (06) to
                                  serve you at this moment.  If the farm have 14 servers, anyone can serve you at the precise
                                  moment or during this login.

                                  Regards,
                                  Rafael E.

                                    wrote:
                                    I noticed today that the farm number is not present anymore in the
                                    address bar when I use Yahoo mail beta. Now, what I see is:

                                    http://br.mg1.mail.yahoo.com/dc/launch?.rand=c16m1317hb3p0

                                    Insted of "mg1" was my farm number "f308".

                                    Does anyone know why ?

                                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    mailto:Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

                                    <*> To unsubscribe from
                                    this group, send an email to:

                                  • Ryan Kennedy
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Apr 11, 2007
                                      <toomuchgreentea@...> wrote:

                                      > Ryan would definitely be able to give a more complete
                                      > explanation, but I would guess that the "new" url could
                                      > mean the backend of the farm has been updated (don't
                                      > know if it has anything to do with new builds though).

                                      Ah yes, I knew this day was coming. I've known that the farm number
                                      was going to disappear from the URL for a while now and I expected
                                      it to cause some commotion here. ;)

                                      Let's see if I can answer all the questions on the table:

                                      1) When you Alt+Click on the logo and see a server name like
                                      web30805.mail.mud.yahoo.com, that's one host within farm 308. Each
                                      farm comprises several web servers. In front of that we have a load
                                      balancer. It's there to...balance load (go figure), meaning that
                                      traffic is evenly distributed among each host in the farm. That
                                      prevents one host from being overrun with traffic while the others
                                      sit idle. When you launch Yahoo! Mail Beta, your request goes to one
                                      of those hosts, that's what you see in the alert box. It changes
                                      because the load balancer is doing it's job.

                                      2) Farms aren't going away. Farm 308 is still there, it's just
                                      behind this new layer, us.mg1.mail.yahoo.com (the first two letters
                                      will differ for people using other languages).

                                      3) This change is independent of the new release of Yahoo! Mail
                                      Beta. It's just a bit of hardware infrastructure we've deployed to
                                      give us greater flexibility in what we're doing behind the scenes.
                                      Farm 318 has been switched over to this new URL for a while now.

                                      4) The other farms will be converting over similarly. This rollout
                                      is happening the same way we do Yahoo! Mail Beta releases: bit by
                                      bit.

                                      Hopefully that answers the questions out there. If I missed any,
                                      just ask.

                                      Ryan Kennedy
                                      Yahoo! Mail
                                    • marciobenisti