Re: coolness kills

  • James
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 9, 2007
      I don't remember ever having a horizontal scroll-bar in search
      results. It would be helpful, though, because it's impossible to see
      that useful attachments column (I forgot about it) unless I set the
      other columns to microscopic lengths. Then I have to re-adjust it
      when I return to my regular folders. It really becomes not quite
      worth it. I wish the search results list would remember a different
      set of column lengths than regular folders.

      Also, the attachment column tells how many attachments each message
      has, but it doesn't provide any way of mass downloading. I have
      noticed Yahoo! mail classic does let you download attachments in bulk
      far quicker than the beta does. I switch back to the classic
      temporarily when I ever need to do this.

      I do think Yahoo! mail beta is overall radically better than mail
      classic, though.

      <toomuchgreentea@...> wrote:

      > It depends ;)
      >
      > Beta has much better shortcut key support than classic. I like the
      fact that I can now do most of the tasks without switching between the
      keyboard and the mouse. Classic's support in this aspect is extremely
      lacking.

      > I have also experienced beta's FF lockups in the past, but that
      seems to have more to do with extension(s) intercepting/manipulating
      XMLHttpRequest. In my case, after I disabled Firebug for Y-Mail's URL,
      all Y-Mail lockups simply go away. I suspect that it was the network
      monitoring part of Firebug that caused the problem, but to state it as
      fact I'll have to do a lot more work to figure out why, which I
      haven't. So unfortunately, it would have to remain as a guess.

      > Some may not have noticed, but beta DOES have a photo/attachment
      view. In the search result tab (try searching for
      "attachmentcount:>0"), if you have enabled snippets, you should see
      the thumbnails of your attachments in the right-most column. I said
      "some may not have noticed", because with my current build (b651.10),
      there is no horizontal scrollbar in the search result tab (a bug?). So
      if your screen isn't wide enough, you may have trouble seeing that
      last column.

      > I feel the same as you do when I was using my old computer. But
      after switching to a newer one, the performance differences (load
      time, speed ... etc.) became so insignificant that the benefit of
      staying exclusively with classic melts away.