Re: IMAP SERVICE??!!

  • Marshall Mathers, III
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 2, 2007
      Ryan,

      Is there any possibility of rolling out IMAP as a premium service?

      Us mobile phone users (Palm and WM) could use IMAP for e-mail on our
      phone a lot more efficiently than POP.

      I would be willing to pay $60 a year just for IMAP since I know the
      protocol is more chatty and creates more server load.

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan Kennedy" <rckenned@...> wrote:

      > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "znaja" <znaja@> wrote:
      > >
      > > ANY NEWS ABOUT IMAP ON YAHOO MAIL BETTA??!!
      > >

      > We are not offering IMAP at this time.
      >
      > On an unrelated topic, any news about you getting your caps lock
      key
      > fixed?
      >
      > Ryan Kennedy
      > Yahoo! Mail

    • Sasafrass
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 2, 2007
        If Yahoo ever implements IMAP, it would either be free or for plus
        members($20/yr). However, if it causes more server load, I don't think
        that's something they would consider since it would cost them more
        money, which may result in a higher fee for plus members. Offering
        affordable, fast, reliable service is one of their top priorities.

        ---
        Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket <http://photobucket.com>
        My Yahoo Group- Sassy's Corner
        IM me! Sasafrass452(Yahoo)

        Marshall Mathers, III wrote:
        > Ryan,
        >
        > Is there any possibility of rolling out IMAP as a premium service?
        >
        > Us mobile phone users (Palm and WM) could use IMAP for e-mail on our
        > phone a lot more efficiently than POP.
        >
        > I would be willing to pay $60 a year just for IMAP since I know the
        > protocol is more chatty and creates more server load.
        >

        > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan Kennedy" <rckenned@...> wrote:
        >
        >> --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "znaja" <znaja@> wrote:
        >>
        >>> ANY NEWS ABOUT IMAP ON YAHOO MAIL BETTA??!!
        >>>

        >> We are not offering IMAP at this time.
        >>
        >> On an unrelated topic, any news about you getting your caps lock
        >>
        > key
        >
        >> fixed?
        >>
        >> Ryan Kennedy
        >> Yahoo! Mail
        >>

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • David Spanne
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 2, 2007
          You can buy a domain and get 5 2GB each IMAP mailboxes for $.99 per month at
          1and1.com. It is astounding to me that more people don't demand IMAP from
          their providers. IMAP doesn't necessarily create any more server load, and
          could actually lessen the load. Yahoo should be able to implement IMAP very
          easily, I'm just guessing they don't have enough demand to warrant the
          effort. That is because most home users are not smart enough to see the
          benefits (most of my clients just don't get it).
          David

          On 4/2/07, Marshall Mathers, III <heyujackass@...> wrote:

          > Ryan,
          >
          > Is there any possibility of rolling out IMAP as a premium service?
          >
          > Us mobile phone users (Palm and WM) could use IMAP for e-mail on our
          > phone a lot more efficiently than POP.
          >
          > I would be willing to pay $60 a year just for IMAP since I know the
          > protocol is more chatty and creates more server load.
          >
          > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com <Y-Mail%40yahoogroups.com>, "Ryan Kennedy"
          > <rckenned@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com <Y-Mail%40yahoogroups.com>, "znaja"
          > <znaja@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > ANY NEWS ABOUT IMAP ON YAHOO MAIL BETTA??!!
          > > >

          > > We are not offering IMAP at this time.
          > >
          > > On an unrelated topic, any news about you getting your caps lock
          > key
          > > fixed?
          > >
          > > Ryan Kennedy
          > > Yahoo! Mail

        • Ryan Kennedy
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 2, 2007
            > Is there any possibility of rolling out IMAP as a premium service?

            Of course it's possible...anything is possible. :) I can't actually speak about whether or not we will. That's up to the business folks. They're certainly aware that there is some demand from the users for such a feature, but there's a cost to weigh.

            > Us mobile phone users (Palm and WM) could use IMAP for e-mail on our
            > phone a lot more efficiently than POP.
            > I would be willing to pay $60 a year just for IMAP since I know the
            > protocol is more chatty and creates more server load.

            Indeed, IMAP is more expensive to run than, say, a web service (like the one we just released).

            Ryan Kennedy
            Yahoo! Mail
          • Nancy J
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 2, 2007
              What is the price of giving every email user unlimited email storage? For me, IMAP would allow me to clear up some files off of Yahoo storage. At the very least, I would leave larger files on their servers for a shorter period of time. But I guess storage is cheaper than traffic.

              L8!

              Nancy J
              Ordinaryfoolisnj@...

              "I am not my hair. I am not this skin. I am the soul that lives within."
              India Arie

              "Truth is anything I agree with"
              www.cindyalexander.com

              http://www.myspace.com/ordinaryfoolisnj

              Marshall Mathers, III wrote:
              > Ryan,
              >
              > Is there any possibility of rolling out IMAP as a premium service?
              >
              > Us mobile phone users (Palm and WM) could use IMAP for e-mail on our
              > phone a lot more efficiently than POP.
              >
              > I would be willing to pay $60 a year just for IMAP since I know the
              > protocol is more chatty and creates more server load.
              >

              > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan Kennedy" <rckenned@...> wrote:
              >
              >> --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "znaja" <znaja@> wrote:
              >>
              >>> ANY NEWS ABOUT IMAP ON YAHOO MAIL BETTA??!!
              >>>

              >> We are not offering IMAP at this time.
              >>
              >> On an unrelated topic, any news about you getting your caps lock
              >>
              > key
              >
              >> fixed?
              >>
              >> Ryan Kennedy
              >> Yahoo! Mail
              >>

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • S. J. "Jay" Bienvenu
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 3, 2007
                From: Sasafrass <sasafrass452@...>
                If Yahoo ever implements IMAP, it would either be free or for plus members($20/yr). However, if it causes more server load, I don't think that's something they would consider since it would cost them more money, which may result in a higher fee for plus members.

                I for one would not be happy if the cost of Plus went up just to add IMAP. I agree with those who'd like to see it available in YM, but it must be an option that someone can opt out of at no cost.

                -- Jay Bienvenu
              • Sasafrass

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 3, 2007
                    For BlackBerry users Yahoo! actually has one-way sync right now.  Very nice.  I will be happy when 2-way sync comes, but not sure if they will begin charging.  I like it though and prefer this to the BlackBerry application that you download to the device for gmail.  I may be in the minority here, but I hope BlackBerry support remains and increases.

                    > Is there any possibility of rolling out IMAP as a premium service?

                    Of course it's possible...anything is possible. :) I can't actually speak about whether or not we will. That's up to the business folks. They're certainly aware that there is some demand from the users for such a feature, but there's a cost to weigh.

                    > Us mobile phone users (Palm and WM) could use IMAP for e-mail on our
                    > phone a lot more efficiently than POP.
                    > I would be willing to pay $60 a year just for IMAP since I know the
                    > protocol is more chatty and creates more server load.

                    Indeed, IMAP is more expensive to run than, say, a web service (like the one we just released).

                    Ryan Kennedy
                    Yahoo! Mail

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                        mailto:Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

                  • Taylor Hively
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 4 9:41 AM
                      The iPhone is due to launch on June 29th on AT&T's wireless network.
                      The iPhone has been advertised as having "Free Yahoo IMAP Push" mail.
                      So clearly Yahoo has implemented IMAP support, at least for the
                      iPhone. And since they don't know who will buy an iPhone ahead of
                      time, they are clearly prepared to support any and all users that buy one.

                      My guess is that either at or some time after the iPhone launch they
                      will open up IMAP to everyone (whether free or not.) I'm not sure how
                      they'll limit IMAP to only iPhone users, maybe they have a
                      registration process that unlocks the IMAP server for them or a
                      special log-in. But one thing is for sure, come June 29th customers
                      will be using Yahoo IMAP. Perhaps non-iPhone users who have Plus will
                      get it first before non-paying customers.

                      The IMAP servers are there, you just can't log in to them yet.
                      I use Seven Mail beta http://community.seven.com/ for my Windows
                      Mobile Treo 750. Seven mail has their own servers that sync with the
                      ISP you set it up with. They do use IMAP between their and Yahoo's
                      servers. So on my phone I get basically IMAP access through Seven.
                      Seven also provides real-time push mail because Yahoo is IMAP on their
                      end. The result is very low battery and bandwidth use because it only
                      sends 5kb of data and only when I get new mail.
                      Seven must have a secret way of logging me in to IMAP through their
                      servers.
                      Also the Yahoo GO application uses IMAP, I believe.

                      However, I'd like to be able to use IMAP on my Windows Mobile Treo and
                      not have to use Seven (have the choice.)

                      Also, if you hook up to activesync and try to configure a yahoo email
                      address, sure enough it auto-configures your server settings to use
                      Yahoo IMAP. But they just don't work yet. You have to change it to
                      use the POP mail server.
                      So if activesync is configuring for IMAP now, Seven is using IMAP, the
                      servers respond but I just can't log in, and the iPhone will have it
                      (presumably at launch) then...
                      2+2+2+2 must = 3 and we'll eventually have IMAP.

                      Hopefully sooner than later. The demand is certainly there.

                      It is not a trivial process to add IMAP support to all users, but they
                      have apparently done it (working on it for the past year at least.)
                      It may not be ready for everyone (they may still be working on it or
                      testing it.) But my guess is they are reaching or have reached the
                      deadline to be able to support all users in time for the iPhone launch.

                      While I personally yawn at the iPhone (doesn't interest me,) I'm glad
                      it's there as apparently it pushing a lot of things forward to
                      innovate including their competition.

                      So after July 1 I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for IMAP to open up
                      eventually.

                      > If Yahoo ever implements IMAP, it would either be free or for plus
                      > members($20/yr). However, if it causes more server load, I don't think
                      > that's something they would consider since it would cost them more
                      > money, which may result in a higher fee for plus members. Offering
                      > affordable, fast, reliable service is one of their top priorities.
                      >

                      > ---
                      > Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket <http://photobucket.com>
                      > My Yahoo Group- Sassy's Corner
                      > IM me! Sasafrass452(Yahoo)
                      >

                      > Marshall Mathers, III wrote:
                      > > Ryan,
                      > >
                      > > Is there any possibility of rolling out IMAP as a premium service?
                      > >
                      > > Us mobile phone users (Palm and WM) could use IMAP for e-mail on our
                      > > phone a lot more efficiently than POP.
                      > >
                      > > I would be willing to pay $60 a year just for IMAP since I know the
                      > > protocol is more chatty and creates more server load.
                      > >

                      > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan Kennedy" <rckenned@> wrote:

                      > >> We are not offering IMAP at this time.
                      > >>
                      > >> On an unrelated topic, any news about you getting your caps lock
                      > >>
                      > > key
                      > >
                      > >> fixed?
                      > >>
                      > >> Ryan Kennedy
                      > >> Yahoo! Mail
                      > >>

                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • James
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 4 5:31 PM
                        I'm kinda curious, has everyone forgotten that Yahoo! mail did allow
                        free IMAP access for a brief period of time? It was kind of a hack
                        but it worked nonetheless.

                        http://yahoo.weblogsinc.com/2006/06/24/yahoo-mail-getting-free-imap-access/

                        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Ryan Kennedy <rckenned@...> wrote:

                        > > Is there any possibility of rolling out IMAP as a premium service?
                        >
                        > Of course it's possible...anything is possible. :) I can't actually
                        speak about whether or not we will. That's up to the business folks.
                        They're certainly aware that there is some demand from the users for
                        such a feature, but there's a cost to weigh.

                        > > Us mobile phone users (Palm and WM) could use IMAP for e-mail on our
                        > > phone a lot more efficiently than POP.
                        > > I would be willing to pay $60 a year just for IMAP since I know the
                        > > protocol is more chatty and creates more server load.
                        >
                        > Indeed, IMAP is more expensive to run than, say, a web service (like
                        the one we just released).

                        > Ryan Kennedy
                        > Yahoo! Mail

                      • Sasafrass

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 5 11:01 PM
                            I tried it at the start and it did work. They pulled the plug though
                            since it wasn't used for the intended purpose.