Re: [Y-Mail] IMAP SERVICE??!!

  • Frankie Luo
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 2, 2007
      Only news is Yahoo will offer unlimited storge for free yahoo mail

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 2, 2007
        Nothing yet. Maybe someday......

        ---
        Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket <http://photobucket.com>
        My Yahoo Group- Sassy's Corner
        IM me! Sasafrass452(Yahoo)

        znaja wrote:
        > ANY NEWS ABOUT IMAP ON YAHOO MAIL BETTA??!!
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Ryan Kennedy
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 2, 2007
          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "znaja" <znaja@...> wrote:

          > ANY NEWS ABOUT IMAP ON YAHOO MAIL BETTA??!!

          We are not offering IMAP at this time.

          On an unrelated topic, any news about you getting your caps lock key
          fixed?

          Ryan Kennedy
          Yahoo! Mail
        • Marshall Mathers, III
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 2, 2007
            Ryan,

            Is there any possibility of rolling out IMAP as a premium service?

            Us mobile phone users (Palm and WM) could use IMAP for e-mail on our
            phone a lot more efficiently than POP.

            I would be willing to pay $60 a year just for IMAP since I know the
            protocol is more chatty and creates more server load.

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan Kennedy" <rckenned@...> wrote:

            > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "znaja" <znaja@> wrote:
            > >
            > > ANY NEWS ABOUT IMAP ON YAHOO MAIL BETTA??!!
            > >

            > We are not offering IMAP at this time.
            >
            > On an unrelated topic, any news about you getting your caps lock
            key
            > fixed?
            >
            > Ryan Kennedy
            > Yahoo! Mail

          • Sasafrass
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 2, 2007
              If Yahoo ever implements IMAP, it would either be free or for plus
              members($20/yr). However, if it causes more server load, I don't think
              that's something they would consider since it would cost them more
              money, which may result in a higher fee for plus members. Offering
              affordable, fast, reliable service is one of their top priorities.

              ---

              Marshall Mathers, III wrote:
              > Ryan,
              >
              > Is there any possibility of rolling out IMAP as a premium service?
              >
              > Us mobile phone users (Palm and WM) could use IMAP for e-mail on our
              > phone a lot more efficiently than POP.
              >
              > I would be willing to pay $60 a year just for IMAP since I know the
              > protocol is more chatty and creates more server load.
              >

              > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan Kennedy" <rckenned@...> wrote:
              >
              >> --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "znaja" <znaja@> wrote:
              >>
              >>> ANY NEWS ABOUT IMAP ON YAHOO MAIL BETTA??!!
              >>>

              >> We are not offering IMAP at this time.
              >>
              >> On an unrelated topic, any news about you getting your caps lock
              >>
              > key
              >
              >> fixed?
              >>
              >> Ryan Kennedy
              >> Yahoo! Mail
              >>

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • David Spanne
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 2, 2007
                You can buy a domain and get 5 2GB each IMAP mailboxes for $.99 per month at
                1and1.com. It is astounding to me that more people don't demand IMAP from
                their providers. IMAP doesn't necessarily create any more server load, and
                could actually lessen the load. Yahoo should be able to implement IMAP very
                easily, I'm just guessing they don't have enough demand to warrant the
                effort. That is because most home users are not smart enough to see the
                benefits (most of my clients just don't get it).
                David

                On 4/2/07, Marshall Mathers, III <heyujackass@...> wrote:

                > Ryan,
                >
                > Is there any possibility of rolling out IMAP as a premium service?
                >
                > Us mobile phone users (Palm and WM) could use IMAP for e-mail on our
                > phone a lot more efficiently than POP.
                >
                > I would be willing to pay $60 a year just for IMAP since I know the
                > protocol is more chatty and creates more server load.
                >
                > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com <Y-Mail%40yahoogroups.com>, "Ryan Kennedy"
                > <rckenned@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com <Y-Mail%40yahoogroups.com>, "znaja"
                > <znaja@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > ANY NEWS ABOUT IMAP ON YAHOO MAIL BETTA??!!
                > > >

                > > We are not offering IMAP at this time.
                > >
                > > On an unrelated topic, any news about you getting your caps lock
                > key
                > > fixed?
                > >
                > > Ryan Kennedy
                > > Yahoo! Mail

              • Ryan Kennedy
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 2, 2007
                  > Is there any possibility of rolling out IMAP as a premium service?

                  Of course it's possible...anything is possible. :) I can't actually speak about whether or not we will. That's up to the business folks. They're certainly aware that there is some demand from the users for such a feature, but there's a cost to weigh.

                  > Us mobile phone users (Palm and WM) could use IMAP for e-mail on our
                  > phone a lot more efficiently than POP.
                  > I would be willing to pay $60 a year just for IMAP since I know the
                  > protocol is more chatty and creates more server load.

                  Indeed, IMAP is more expensive to run than, say, a web service (like the one we just released).

                  Ryan Kennedy
                  Yahoo! Mail
                • Nancy J
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 2, 2007
                    What is the price of giving every email user unlimited email storage? For me, IMAP would allow me to clear up some files off of Yahoo storage. At the very least, I would leave larger files on their servers for a shorter period of time. But I guess storage is cheaper than traffic.

                    L8!

                    Nancy J
                    Ordinaryfoolisnj@...

                    "I am not my hair. I am not this skin. I am the soul that lives within."
                    India Arie

                    "Truth is anything I agree with"
                    www.cindyalexander.com

                    http://www.myspace.com/ordinaryfoolisnj

                    Marshall Mathers, III wrote:
                    > Ryan,
                    >
                    > Is there any possibility of rolling out IMAP as a premium service?
                    >
                    > Us mobile phone users (Palm and WM) could use IMAP for e-mail on our
                    > phone a lot more efficiently than POP.
                    >
                    > I would be willing to pay $60 a year just for IMAP since I know the
                    > protocol is more chatty and creates more server load.
                    >

                    > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan Kennedy" <rckenned@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "znaja" <znaja@> wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> ANY NEWS ABOUT IMAP ON YAHOO MAIL BETTA??!!
                    >>>

                    >> We are not offering IMAP at this time.
                    >>
                    >> On an unrelated topic, any news about you getting your caps lock
                    >>
                    > key
                    >
                    >> fixed?
                    >>
                    >> Ryan Kennedy
                    >> Yahoo! Mail
                    >>

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • S. J. "Jay" Bienvenu
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 3, 2007
                      From: Sasafrass <sasafrass452@...>
                      If Yahoo ever implements IMAP, it would either be free or for plus members($20/yr). However, if it causes more server load, I don't think that's something they would consider since it would cost them more money, which may result in a higher fee for plus members.

                      I for one would not be happy if the cost of Plus went up just to add IMAP. I agree with those who'd like to see it available in YM, but it must be an option that someone can opt out of at no cost.

                      -- Jay Bienvenu
                    • Sasafrass

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 3, 2007
                          For BlackBerry users Yahoo! actually has one-way sync right now.  Very nice.  I will be happy when 2-way sync comes, but not sure if they will begin charging.  I like it though and prefer this to the BlackBerry application that you download to the device for gmail.  I may be in the minority here, but I hope BlackBerry support remains and increases.

                          > Is there any possibility of rolling out IMAP as a premium service?

                          Of course it's possible...anything is possible. :) I can't actually speak about whether or not we will. That's up to the business folks. They're certainly aware that there is some demand from the users for such a feature, but there's a cost to weigh.

                          > Us mobile phone users (Palm and WM) could use IMAP for e-mail on our
                          > phone a lot more efficiently than POP.
                          > I would be willing to pay $60 a year just for IMAP since I know the
                          > protocol is more chatty and creates more server load.

                          Indeed, IMAP is more expensive to run than, say, a web service (like the one we just released).

                          Ryan Kennedy
                          Yahoo! Mail

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                              mailto:Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

                        • Taylor Hively
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 4, 2007
                            The iPhone is due to launch on June 29th on AT&T's wireless network.
                            The iPhone has been advertised as having "Free Yahoo IMAP Push" mail.
                            So clearly Yahoo has implemented IMAP support, at least for the
                            iPhone. And since they don't know who will buy an iPhone ahead of
                            time, they are clearly prepared to support any and all users that buy one.

                            My guess is that either at or some time after the iPhone launch they
                            will open up IMAP to everyone (whether free or not.) I'm not sure how
                            they'll limit IMAP to only iPhone users, maybe they have a
                            registration process that unlocks the IMAP server for them or a
                            special log-in. But one thing is for sure, come June 29th customers
                            will be using Yahoo IMAP. Perhaps non-iPhone users who have Plus will
                            get it first before non-paying customers.

                            The IMAP servers are there, you just can't log in to them yet.
                            I use Seven Mail beta http://community.seven.com/ for my Windows
                            Mobile Treo 750. Seven mail has their own servers that sync with the
                            ISP you set it up with. They do use IMAP between their and Yahoo's
                            servers. So on my phone I get basically IMAP access through Seven.
                            Seven also provides real-time push mail because Yahoo is IMAP on their
                            end. The result is very low battery and bandwidth use because it only
                            sends 5kb of data and only when I get new mail.
                            Seven must have a secret way of logging me in to IMAP through their
                            servers.
                            Also the Yahoo GO application uses IMAP, I believe.

                            However, I'd like to be able to use IMAP on my Windows Mobile Treo and
                            not have to use Seven (have the choice.)

                            Also, if you hook up to activesync and try to configure a yahoo email
                            address, sure enough it auto-configures your server settings to use
                            Yahoo IMAP. But they just don't work yet. You have to change it to
                            use the POP mail server.
                            So if activesync is configuring for IMAP now, Seven is using IMAP, the
                            servers respond but I just can't log in, and the iPhone will have it
                            (presumably at launch) then...
                            2+2+2+2 must = 3 and we'll eventually have IMAP.

                            Hopefully sooner than later. The demand is certainly there.

                            It is not a trivial process to add IMAP support to all users, but they
                            have apparently done it (working on it for the past year at least.)
                            It may not be ready for everyone (they may still be working on it or
                            testing it.) But my guess is they are reaching or have reached the
                            deadline to be able to support all users in time for the iPhone launch.

                            While I personally yawn at the iPhone (doesn't interest me,) I'm glad
                            it's there as apparently it pushing a lot of things forward to
                            innovate including their competition.

                            So after July 1 I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for IMAP to open up
                            eventually.

                            > If Yahoo ever implements IMAP, it would either be free or for plus
                            > members($20/yr). However, if it causes more server load, I don't think
                            > that's something they would consider since it would cost them more
                            > money, which may result in a higher fee for plus members. Offering
                            > affordable, fast, reliable service is one of their top priorities.
                            >

                            > ---
                            > Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket <http://photobucket.com>
                            > My Yahoo Group- Sassy's Corner
                            > IM me! Sasafrass452(Yahoo)
                            >

                            > Marshall Mathers, III wrote:
                            > > Ryan,
                            > >
                            > > Is there any possibility of rolling out IMAP as a premium service?
                            > >
                            > > Us mobile phone users (Palm and WM) could use IMAP for e-mail on our
                            > > phone a lot more efficiently than POP.
                            > >
                            > > I would be willing to pay $60 a year just for IMAP since I know the
                            > > protocol is more chatty and creates more server load.
                            > >

                            > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan Kennedy" <rckenned@> wrote:

                            > >> We are not offering IMAP at this time.
                            > >>
                            > >> On an unrelated topic, any news about you getting your caps lock
                            > >>
                            > > key
                            > >
                            > >> fixed?
                            > >>
                            > >> Ryan Kennedy
                            > >> Yahoo! Mail
                            > >>

                            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • James
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 4, 2007
                              I'm kinda curious, has everyone forgotten that Yahoo! mail did allow
                              free IMAP access for a brief period of time? It was kind of a hack
                              but it worked nonetheless.

                              http://yahoo.weblogsinc.com/2006/06/24/yahoo-mail-getting-free-imap-access/

                              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Ryan Kennedy <rckenned@...> wrote:

                              > > Is there any possibility of rolling out IMAP as a premium service?
                              >
                              > Of course it's possible...anything is possible. :) I can't actually
                              speak about whether or not we will. That's up to the business folks.
                              They're certainly aware that there is some demand from the users for
                              such a feature, but there's a cost to weigh.

                              > > Us mobile phone users (Palm and WM) could use IMAP for e-mail on our
                              > > phone a lot more efficiently than POP.
                              > > I would be willing to pay $60 a year just for IMAP since I know the
                              > > protocol is more chatty and creates more server load.
                              >
                              > Indeed, IMAP is more expensive to run than, say, a web service (like
                              the one we just released).

                              > Ryan Kennedy
                              > Yahoo! Mail

                            • Sasafrass

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 5, 2007
                                  I tried it at the start and it did work. They pulled the plug though
                                  since it wasn't used for the intended purpose.