Category and Lists

  • askjigar
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2007
      Ryan,
      I couldn't find any specific thread for this discussion.
      This was a real set back to see category and lists merging.
      I don't know whether you did some usability analysis for that or not.
      I don't know whether you have plans to change or not.

      You are trying to make YMail Beta similar to desktop client.
      If you have observed Outlook They have both Category and Distribution
      List. List refers to mailing list. Which is specific for particular
      type of email. Where as Categories are used to manage contacts; to
      group them which is of static nature. Then why you took back lists ?

      Now Question is how Intellisync will synchronize my contacts ? Will it
      consider categories as it is ?

      Temporary workaround is i create two list Family and Family_mail to
      distinguish between categories and list. former i use to store in a
      category and later for list.

      And most importantly,
      1. There is no way while adding contact to specify a category for them.

      2. Scrolling more then 1000 contacts is really tedious. Is there any
      plans for keeping categories in the left span ?

      waiting for your reply.
    • grammyamos
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2007
        Yahoo seems to ignore the importance of Categories associated with
        contacts. The way categories worked in the classic Yahoo e-mail was an
        important feature for me and a lot of my friends. With Beta Yahoo
        e-mail, selecting random individuals requires paging through all your
        contacts which are sorted by first name (why not at least last name).
        I can not longer hide contacts information of individuals that I
        maintain in the address book "just in case".

        Ryan, please tell us what is going to happen so that selecting and
        maintaining contacts in the address book is made easier for users!

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "askjigar" <jigar_shah83@...> wrote:

        > Ryan,
        > I couldn't find any specific thread for this discussion.
        > This was a real set back to see category and lists merging.
        > I don't know whether you did some usability analysis for that or not.
        > I don't know whether you have plans to change or not.
        >
        > You are trying to make YMail Beta similar to desktop client.
        > If you have observed Outlook They have both Category and Distribution
        > List. List refers to mailing list. Which is specific for particular
        > type of email. Where as Categories are used to manage contacts; to
        > group them which is of static nature. Then why you took back lists ?
        >

        > Now Question is how Intellisync will synchronize my contacts ? Will it
        > consider categories as it is ?
        >
        > Temporary workaround is i create two list Family and Family_mail to
        > distinguish between categories and list. former i use to store in a
        > category and later for list.
        >
        > And most importantly,
        > 1. There is no way while adding contact to specify a category for them.
        >
        > 2. Scrolling more then 1000 contacts is really tedious. Is there any
        > plans for keeping categories in the left span ?
        >
        > waiting for your reply.

      • igetlotsofjunk
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 17, 2007
          I agree with everything you said...Bring them back.