25778Yahoo Screws Electronic Petitions

  • Chris J Brady
    Sep 25, 2013
      I belong to a number of electronic petition websites - mainly concerning animal abuse &/or human rights.

      After signing each one - by logging in, having my name and address auto-filled, and then clicking on [Send] - I am then usually offered the additional option to send a short email to friends asking them to sign the petition too.

      So I click on [Email Your Friends]. This is then supposed to open the preferred / default mail system in Compose mode, insert a suitable Subject and short explanatory text into the Body.

      One such petition was at:

      https://www.allout.org/en/actions/cameroon-attacks-taf

      So I clicked on [Email Your Friends] behind which was the URL:

      http://compose.mail.yahoo.com/?Subj=Anti-gay%20violence%20in%20Cameroon%20-%20I've%20signed,%20can%20you?&Body="Hi, I’ve signed All Out’s petition to demand Cameroon’s President Paul Biya help stop anti-gay attacks, end the law that makes it a crime to be gay, and free all people in jail because of who they love." ... snip ...

      BUT ALL I GOT WAS A BLANK PAGE BECAUSE YAHOO - IN ITS QUESTIONABLE WISDOM - HAS CHANGED THE WAY IT COMPOSES EMAILS. NO LONGER IS IT POSSIBLE TO OPEN YAHOO MAIL IN COMPOSE MODE VIA A DYNAMICALLY GENERATED URL. SO NO LONGER IS IT POSSIBLE TO SEND EMAILS TO FRIENDS ABOUT ISSUES WHICH PETITIONS ARE TRYING TO ADDRESS AND GAIN SUPPORT FOR.

      AND - THIS PERTAINS TO ALL PETITION SITES. APPALLING.

      C.J.Brady
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic