25271Re: [Y-Mail] Re: New Yahoo Mail Basic - How to select all emails on screen and where is yahoo notes?

  • Bruce Lund
    Jul 20, 2013
      >>>Why are you opening emails that you don't want to read yet?

      Just because I want to read them doesn't mean they are my most important email or that I should read them NOW.

      I get a lot of email. A lot.. I am a member of a lot of groups (like this one) and also moderate some. Which means that I could have dozens of emails to sort through. As a moderator, I consider it important that I respond to requests for memberships and moderation. But that doesn't mean they should have priority over business emails or one from Ed McMahon. But I know I need to deal with them so I would open them in a new tab while still scrolling down through my messages. If nothing else, it meant that I would not have to wait in front of my computer screen while the email took it's sweet time opening. It would open itself in its own time while I continued to sort through my inbox.

      I liken it to snail mail after I arrive back from vacation. My mailbox (inbox) is stuffed. So I do triage. One stack is what I know I want to see. (Opened in new tab.) One stack is "Not right now. Or maybe never." (Not opened.) The nice thing with Yahoo Mail there is even a third category, "Leisure Reading", starred emails to look at when I get a chance. Could be related to professional learning. Could be an upcoming event that might be of interest. But the point is that it is not necessary for me to open it but I can go back later and look at my starred emails for future reference.

      So, I have gone through the whole stack of emails (mail) in a short amount of time and I have identified all of the emails (mail) that I want to deal with at that seating. But this is the critical part. While I am sorting out the emails (mail) I am dealing with, I can pick and choose the ones that I want to look at right now and "rip open the envelope" (look at that tab right now.) Could be an urgent message from a client. Could be payment information. (Who doesn't open a payment from a known party?) Could be an email from my high school sweetheart.

      The point is that you would NEVER open snail mail in the order in which it is stacked. You do an initial screening to figure out what is there. Ditto for Yahoo mail. To do what you are suggesting would require that I either deal with emails in the order they are in my inbox (mailbox.) Or that I would scroll up and down in my inbox to locate the most pressing ones, open, and then scroll up and down some more, open, and then scroll up and down some more, open, then scroll up and down some more, open, etc., etc., etc..

      Opening in new tabs is an organizational tool. It allows me to set aside those emails (envelopes) that I want to read in this session. And it allowed me to open, read and act on those of critical importance immediately without forcing me to deal with all of the intervening email (envelopes) which might be of interest but not pressing enough for me to grab the letter opener. Your method suggests that all messages are created equally. They are not. Some can be set aside (in a new tab) and be dealt with in 10 minutes, in an hour, or in 3 hours. Some must/should be dealt with on a more timely basis. I shouldn't have to wade through and deal with all of the kinda important email, as you suggest, to get to the ones that are real important.

      Bruce Lund