24586Re: [Y-Mail] James, your password was stolen

  • Sasafrass452
    Mar 15, 2013
      That's only true to a certain extent.... What is happening here is James' system is likely infected, thus allowing the hacker to steal his password. Linux systems don't get viruses, so the only way a Linux user like me could have my Yahoo password stolen is for the hacker to attack Yahoo's servers. And that's far less likely to happen....

      **Sasafrass452**
      http://www.friendburst.com/Sasafrass452
      http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com
      http://angiemillerfans.proboards.com
      On 03/15/2013 10:21 AM, Donna Lee wrote:

      How do you know he has Windows? Maybe he has a Mac or a Linux system.

      No web mail application is safe from a hacker. Yahoo is more vulnerable than most! This is what happens when you depend on a web mail.

      Donna Ford Lee ♂+♀=♡
      Tulsa, OK

      (\. (\
      ( ^.^)
      o_(")(") HAPPY EASTER

      Sent Via My iPhone

      On Mar 14, 2013, at 11:58 PM, Lena@... wrote:

      > James, password of your mailbox jakk9406@... was stolen
      > with Windows malware (drive-by exploit kit) such as Blackhole
      > by a spammer who uses malware (bot) in another user's Windows
      > (in this case in Brazil) to send spam from your mailbox
      > to all addresses from your address book ("Contacts") and Sent and Inbox folders
      > using the password stolen from you.
      > Change password of this mailbox immediately.
      > Then scan Windows for viruses on every computer where you ever entered
      > that password. If no malware found then scan with LiveCD or LiveUSB
      > one-time antivirus scanner (free for personal use) from freedrweb.com
      > It works outside Windows, thus has the potential to find
      > malware designed to disable or evade common antiviruses.
      > After the malware (virus, trojan) found and removed,
      > change mailbox password again, but not to the previous one,
      > and please tell me the malware name.
      > Never use those old passwords for this mailbox again.
      > If all scans find nothing, repeat download and scan after a week (there is
      > some hope that antivirus vendors catch up to this malware version).
      > Also, update Adobe Flash Player and Adobe Reader from adobe.com/downloads
      > and Java from java.com/download , keep them updated.
      > But exploits attack not only via security holes in browsers and their plugins.
      > Unfortunately, my advice to use any free operating system
      > instead of Windows on the same computer usually falls on deaf ears.
      >
      > Anybody who clicked the link in the spam needs to do the same.
      >
      > The spamming is automated, its main goal is growing the felon's botnet,
      > spreading some bot/trojan (such as ZeuS or SpyEye) for stealing banking
      > passwords, stealing and selling email passwords for spamming via
      > legitimate servers (such spam is much more difficult to filter out),
      > selling all types of passwords to interested unscrupulous people,
      > selling access to zombie in your computer for spamming, attacking websites etc.
      > Such spam also can promote some scam such as "work from home" or
      > weight loss drops, but that's a side benefit for the felon.
      > Nothing found by antivirus scanners is NOT a guarantee that you haven't
      > a trojan/zombie/bot in your Windows, far from it.
      >
      > Lena

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic