24393Re: [Y-Mail] Account blocked

  • Shal Farley
    Feb 9, 2013
      addy,

      > do you think it is truly helpful if yahoo ( or gmail) have your cell
      > number to cross reference with ?

      Yes. If anyone changes my password I'll get a text message, and an opportunity to take control back.

      I also use it for second sign-in verification, which is a pretty strong protection against a stolen password.

      "What is Second Sign-in Verification"
      < http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?y=PROD_ACCT&page=content&id=SLN6282 >

      > is it not just a way for a hacker to get your cell number too ?

      Not "just", but perhaps so. Something to keep in mind if you suspect an intrusion.

      > as well, do you think it's helpful to give yahoo other email addresses
      > with which to cross reference in order to facilitate retrieving your
      > email access ?

      Yes, again for the first reason. I think this may be in part why in the current crop of compromises there haven't been reports of the criminals changing the victim's passwords.

      -- Shal
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic