20683Re: [Y-Mail] I am NOT happy........

  • Harryh
    May 8, 2011
      No offense taken. Of course, the continual upgrade issue will always be upon us and for my main equipment, there is not an issue. Not quite bleeding edge, but adequate. In a few years I may even move to Win7.

      Apple has been a staunch believer in obsolescence. Each major advance has taken place making older equipment less and less useful. Microsoft with it's much larger user base hasn't quite been able to do the same which many of us are quite pleased about.

      Yahoo is in a slightly different position. I can understand their need to add features that they hope will be so compelling that they might beat their competition. What is missing in this discussion is the stripped down option. I don't know about you, but I actually pay to use Yahoo's service. Now some might consider that stupid, but I also pay for a fastmail account as well, even as I have multiple gmail accounts along with accounts through my ISP. None of the alternates require me to have anything beyond a simple browser. Older browser versions still function, at least for now. They might recommend that I not use a browser like IE6 with it's perpetual security holes. But few care that I visit with Firefox 1.5.0.12. Oh they might tell me I am unprotected and they would prefer I use a better browser, but they still get me my mail.

      I haven't tried the new version of Yahoo webmail with FF 1.5, yet. For all I know, it may work. But that's not the information at hand. The competition clearly can accommodate me, why can't Yahoo?