20102Re: [Y-Mail] Re: Yahoo Classic Mail - stops auto fill of addresses

  • Chris J Brady
    Jan 16, 2011
      Rebooting etc. is not the answer. It is affecting thousands (millions?). I would opine that it is due to Yahoo tweaking the script or code to stop users auto-filling addresses given a partial spelling of contacts.

      This is good for Yahoo because 1/ it makes life difficult for users of Classic who are then going to unwillingly swtich over to All-New, and 2/ it reduces the no. of emails sent to multiple addresses because the alternative way of addressing is quite a lot more time-consuming [**],

      Of course this snafu might also force many (thousands) to junk Yahoo mail in favour of Gmail.

      I cannot believe that removing auto-fill of addresses is accidental. If it was this would imply some gross incompetance on the part of Yahoo programmers. Auto-fill is a pretty standard feature for browsers and websites. So the removal is either a deliberate policy on Yahoo management's part to make life difficult for Classic users; or deliberate sabotage by disgruntled programmers for some reason. I met have both attitudes amongst programmers at my previous company - I think it is quite widespread in the programming / scripting community.

      [**] The alternative is to click on 'Insert addresses' when a separate window will open. This will list all address book contacts, which can then be seached, then check-marked for inclusion in the To: Cc: &/or Bcc: fields of an email. However his process has to be repeated if you want to build up a comprehensive list of recipients. All *very* time consuming.

      The other idiosyncrasy about this snafu is that if you populate the recipient fields from your address book, and then send the email to them, Yahoo Mail then suggests that you might like to add them to the address book. If you elect to say 'yes' it then comes back with the same list against which is a symbol indicating that they already are in the address book!!! Doh!!!

      I think that this issue, and the recent vicissitudes of the changes and roll-back of Yahoo Groups demonstrates just what an amateurish crowd Yahoo have become. If anyone is a Yhaoo user I would advise making preparations for when Yahoo is no more - and could be sooner than we think.

      Chris B.

      P.S. You may freely use my phrasing and words if you wish to forward said issue to Yahoo or others.