      From: pingcarlo <carlo@...>
      To: Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sun, 2 May, 2010 22:16:36
      Subject: [Y-Mail] Re: Weird email from Yahoo about Yahoo Mail... What does this mean?

      I'm Carlo, a member of the delivery team at Yahoo! Mail, and I'll try to shed some light on the notification e-mail some of you have recently received from us.

      Last month, we rolled out a change that affected accounts with disposable e-mail addresses (a.k.a. DEAs, which, in the U.S., is available to Mail Plus users) and/or an extra e-mail address (a.k.a. EEA, which is available to all Y! Mail users). If your account has either or both of these additional addresses, then you received a notification e-mail from us.

      To best illustrate the changes we made, let me use an example case:

      Let's pretend my primary Yahoo! Mail account is "email.carlo@ yahoo.co. uk." When I create a DEA or an EEA for this account, it will, by default, inherit the same "yahoo.co.uk" domain as my primary address. So if I created an EEA with the ID "carlo.eea", my extra e-mail address would be "carlo.eea@yahoo. co.uk." (By the way, EEA IDs don't necessarily have to have a dot in them.) Similarly, "yahoo.co.uk" will also be the domain used for any DEA I create under the same account.

      For users who have an e-mail address with our generic .com domains (i.e., domains that are not country-specific like "yahoo.com", "ymail.com" and "rocketmail. com"), the domain that will be used for their DEA and EEA will be always be "yahoo.com."

      Here's comes the confusing part: Most of you may not have known it, but before last month's change, EEAs and DEAs were enabled to receive messages using other country-specific Yahoo! domains. In my EEA example above, my EEA "carlo.eea@yahoo. co.uk" was able to receive e-mails sent to "carlo.eea@yahoo. com.ph", "carlo.eea@yahoo. ca", etc. This is the part we fixed. From now on, EEAs and DEAs will only receive e-mails addressed to the original domain at which they were created. So, if my friends in Spain try to e-mail me at "carlo.eea@yahoo. es", I will no longer receive it. Fortunately, I gave my contacts the correct EEA address from the get-go; hopefully, you all did, too.

      And there you have the lowdown. I hope I didn't make it any more confusing.

      -Carlo
      Yahoo! Mail

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, "JON" <jrdeutsch@. ..> wrote:

      > I recently received 3 emails from Yahoo Mail, which were all identical except for the "extra email address" they indicated. Note that these are 3 of my 11 "email accounts", but they only included these 3. Any help from Yahoo Central on what exactly this means? Thanks.
      >
      > ------------ --------- --------- --------- --
      >
      > Title:
      > Change notification for your Extra Email address
      >
      > Body:
      > You may have been receiving emails to your Extra Email Address with other yahoo domains, even though your email address ends with @.... In order to improve the accuracy of emails received by you in your right accounts, you will no longer be receiving emails to any other domain that you did not sign up with. You will only receive emails to your Extra Email Address: <one of my alternative addresses was here>
      >
      > Please make sure you provide the right Extra Email Addresses so you continue to receive the emails.
      >
      > To confirm your existing Extra Email Address:
      > 1. In Yahoo! Mail, go to "Options," then "More Options"
      > 2. From the menu on the left, click "Account"
      > 3. Click "Add or edit an account"
      >
      > Thank you,
      > Yahoo! Mail Team

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic