15794Re: breaking news

  • Mark
    May 4, 2008

      Exactly. This is playing out exactly as I anticipated (as previously posted). I would like to think MS is done with Yahoo, IMO it is the smartest thing MS could do. But even if it is over, Yahoo! now has even bigger problems to face than it did prior to the bid; starting with the inevitable stock crash on Monday morning.

      It will not take long for stockholders, many of whom also hold MS stock, to put the board's collective necks on the chopping block. Unless evidence of a turnaround or alternative plan emerges, things will get ugly for Yahoo! in a big hurry. Outsourcing some search to Google was a horrible tactic that may have helped thwart this bid, but what does it say about the future of Yahoo!? It was a shortsighted tactic (IMO). I suspect the only reason MS decided not to go "hostile" due to the poison pill tactics that were going to be invoked had they done so.

      I will be shocked if MS is not back with another offer in a couple of months, expect more lawsuits against the board as stockholders watch their equity disappear in the coming days/weeks. I'm not looking forward to it.

      > For now, at least.... I'll bet they come back in a couple months with
      > another offer that'll be harder for Yahoo to refuse.
      > Kurt Norris wrote:
      > > Microsoft walks away from the yahoo deal.

      > > Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try
      > > it now.
      > > <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ%20>

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic