11931Re: Emails disappear and Yahoo is clueless about it.

  • James
    Jun 4, 2007
      I agree. I use Yahoo! for my email and I trust them to keep my
      messages safe. It is their duty as an Email service to keep all
      messages accounted for, and to work to prevent data loss. I don't see
      a point in using web mail if you must backup your messages each week.
      Why not just use a client? Web mail is supposed to let you do manage
      messages from a browser anywhere, and let the site handle the data. A
      while ago Gmail had severe data loss issues. The cases were rare, but
      for those afflicted they lost nearly all of their messages. That was
      a horrible slip up on Google's part, and I'm sure they have done a lot
      since to prevent such occurances in the future. Yahoo! has done very
      well preventing data loss, but I wouldn't doubt occasional data loss.
      This is entirely the fault of the site. If users couldn't count on
      the media sites they used to keep their data safe, there would be no
      point in using the services.

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "S. J. \"Jay\" Bienvenu"
      <bienvenunet@...> wrote:

      > From: Tom Connell <tomjconnell@...>
      > I did'nt say it was a resolution to the problem and I was not
      putting it forward as such!

      > Sorry if you took offense at how I responded, but I have a problem
      with someone even making that suggestion.

      > From: Tom Connell <tomjconnell@...>
      > I agree entirely EMails shouild not disapear, but these things
      happen, people hit the wrong key, hard drives crash, backups are
      skipped! You don't get Fory Knox security for the peanuts yahoo
      charges for its plus service. Keeping an archive is insurance! Anybody
      who relies on a third party to keep their data safe is just plain
      stupid! If its lost its lost ranting & raving wont bring it back! Make
      sure you don't lose it by creating your own back ups!

      > For the record, I was burned rather badly by a certain discussion
      board hosting service some years ago. A disgruntled administrator
      deleted the posts from a few forums, so I figured I would just get
      them to restore it from the backups. Turns out the most recent backup
      they had was three months old. And they didn't restore just the
      damaged forums; they restored the ENTIRE BOARD. And all they had to
      say for it was "sorry." I never paid for their service again.

      > I'm not asking for "Fort Knox security." I expect Yahoo to do the
      basic things needed to prevent data loss: keep a backup of a week or
      so, and be able to accouint for missing data. This is 2007, and Yahoo
      is a multi-billion dollar Internet media company. They should be able
      to provide a basic level of data recovery.

      > If you brought your car in for a routine oil change, and they broke
      your windshield in the process, would you let them get away with
      telling you there was nothing they could do about it? Do you keep
      spare windshields in your car in case that happens? I think it's
      common sense to expect the company that is hosting your data online,
      be it Yahoo or some run-of-the-mill Web hoster, to ensure that your
      data won't magically disappear.

      > -- Jay Bienvenu

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic