1052Re: The first public viewing of the Mail beta

  • Greg Vergho
    Dec 18, 2005
      As a former Oddpost user, I would say that Silvana is on the right
      track. Oddpost won't say how many users they had when they stopped
      taking new accounts in July of 2004, but it was/is no where near the
      number that Yahoo has.

      As far as a simple port of the software, Oddpost worked under
      Internet Explorer only. If you brought it up in Firefox, it
      wouldn't even launch. Oddpost also spawned a completely locked IE
      window that you couldn't use for anything else but the Oddpost
      client and that was their way of controling the reliability of the
      interface.

      In tackling changing the Yahoo Mail client, they have to contend
      with different browsers, operating systems, and hardware to somehow
      try to satisfy every Yahoo user out there. I'm betting this thing
      could be in beta for a while longer.

      But they have a little pressure to get this done sooner than later.
      Hotmail is close on their heals with their Tsunami beta and they
      should only have to build on their existing Outlook Web Access
      client which already works very well for corporate MS Exchange users.

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Silvana Wasitova <wasitova@y...>
      wrote:

      > Hmm.... considering the millions of Yahoo users out there (how
      many users did Oddpost have?),
      > I'd expect it would take more than just a "simple port".
      >
      > Silvana Wasitova - wasitova@y...

      Calendar,
      > lots of CPU usage during certain operations.
      >
      > How many years off would this thing be if they started from
      scratch?

      > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "jbeaul" <joe@b...> wrote:
      > >
      > > http://tinyurl.com/b54yv
      > >
      > > Looks like a straight port of OddPost. Not much difference from
      the
      > > latest implementation of OddPost. I guess if it ain't broke,
      don't
      > > fix it!
      > >
      > > Joe

      Guillaume