Board problems

  • Dan Furlano
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 10, 2008
      I bought a four axis controller from KDN Tool about 3 years ago. All
      has been well till recently. For some reason the Y axis is very weak
      and turns somewhat erratically. I switched the X and Y and then the X
      had the issue and the Y was fine. So I assume that it is the board?
      I emailed Xylotex many days ago but have not heard if I can send this
      board in for the one time repair. Hopefully I can.

      If someone from Xylotex is reading this can they please let me know.

      Thanks

      Dan
    • Ben Mook
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 10, 2008
        Not an expert by any means, but have you checked the vRef? Sometimes
        pot's get intermittent and need to be exercised. If you have not
        touched them in 3 years it might be as simple as that.

        ~B

        On Oct 10, 2008, at 10:14 AM, Dan Furlano wrote:

        > I bought a four axis controller from KDN Tool about 3 years ago. All
        > has been well till recently. For some reason the Y axis is very weak
        > and turns somewhat erratically. I switched the X and Y and then the X
        > had the issue and the Y was fine. So I assume that it is the board?
        > I emailed Xylotex many days ago but have not heard if I can send this
        > board in for the one time repair. Hopefully I can.
        >
        > If someone from Xylotex is reading this can they please let me know.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Dan

      • Dan Furlano
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 10, 2008
          I checked them and they seemed fine. The XY are set to the same
          values which is what KDN recommended.

          Dan

          --- In Xylotex@yahoogroups.com, Ben Mook <ben@...> wrote:

          > Not an expert by any means, but have you checked the vRef? Sometimes
          > pot's get intermittent and need to be exercised. If you have not
          > touched them in 3 years it might be as simple as that.
          >
          > ~B
          >

          > On Oct 10, 2008, at 10:14 AM, Dan Furlano wrote:
          >
          > > I bought a four axis controller from KDN Tool about 3 years ago. All
          > > has been well till recently. For some reason the Y axis is very weak
          > > and turns somewhat erratically. I switched the X and Y and then the X
          > > had the issue and the Y was fine. So I assume that it is the board?
          > > I emailed Xylotex many days ago but have not heard if I can send this
          > > board in for the one time repair. Hopefully I can.
          > >
          > > If someone from Xylotex is reading this can they please let me know.
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >
          > > Dan

        • xylotex
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 13, 2008
            Hi,
            Sorry for the delay in getting back. I was out for a while there.

            If the drive works, but erratically, then there could be a couple
            of problems. The simplest would be that the drive is not getting
            proper STEP and DIR signals. This would appear to not be the case
            since you said it seemd to have minimal power. And since it does
            work, then it has most likely (but not positiviely) not been destroyed
            by overcurrent or overvoltage. This leads to the other typical
            problem which is overheat. I don't know how the box you have is
            cooled, but the Y axis is between both the X and Z, so it will get
            least cooling if there is inefficient air flow through the box. A
            symptom of overheat problem is the motor cutting in and out, and
            possibly less power, until there is no power at all. Overheat can
            destroy some of the thousands of transistors that pass power to the
            motors. This means the other transistors have to make up for passing
            the load. They then get too hot because of the extra load, and can
            eventually burn out. This can cascade until the chip is destroyed.

            You will need to return the unit to KDN for repair. He can check
            the fan in the system to make sure it is still functioning.
            Replacement policy is only valid for the original purchaser with the
            actual invoice, so KDN will need to return the board if it is still
            under the warranty period. If the board is not under the warrranty
            period, it will need to be replaced. The boards are not fixed.

            Jeff