Newbie - where to begin?

  • akagai1960
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2008
      Hello,
      I want to build a CNC machine but am overwhelmed and excited by all the
      technology I will need to learn. You guys are using acronmyns left and
      right.
      Where do I begin?
      Is there someplace that describes the types of machines and options?
      Thanks in advance for your support.
      Can't wait till I catch up with you guys.
      Perry
    • Greg Zurek
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2008
        From one newbie to another. I looked for quite awhile for a machine that
        I could build and learn the basics from before I designed my own. The
        plans I bought from www.sossylva.com were excellent. He missed a few
        dimensions and I saw a few things that I changed, but overall the plans
        were well worth the money. He acknowledges his mistakes in the plan book
        and steers you in the right direction. I bought my stepper kit from
        www.xylotex.com. Everything is preqired and plugin ready. Like I said in
        the forum, I plan on firing up the machine for the 1st time on this
        coming Sunday. If I can help I will. I'm a cad designer for a community
        college in Illinois.

        Gregg

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2008
          Perry,

          Welcome to cnc! The subject of cad/cam/cnc/machining is complex but is within reason for the average fellow to learn. Just read all you can and do a lot of surfing. At some point you have to jump in and theere are a lot of fellows who will be willing to throw in their two cents to help you out.

          One good resource is http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCResources.htm

          What do you want to do with cnc???

          Jack Mc Kie
          www.freshwatermodels.net

          akagai1960 <pfjones1@...> wrote:
          Hello,
          I want to build a CNC machine but am overwhelmed and excited by all the
          technology I will need to learn. You guys are using acronmyns left and
          right.
          Where do I begin?
          Is there someplace that describes the types of machines and options?
          Thanks in advance for your support.
          Can't wait till I catch up with you guys.
          Perry

        • John Phillips
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1, 2008
            I did the same thing, built the sossylva machine with the xylotex
            machine... and then built joecnc 2006 machine. If I were to do it
            again I would build Joecnc machine first. You can see his work on
            http://www.cnczone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=346. His plans are
            free as well.

            --- In Xylotex@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Zurek" <gzurek@...> wrote:

            > From one newbie to another. I looked for quite awhile for a machine
            that
            > I could build and learn the basics from before I designed my own.
            The
            > plans I bought from www.sossylva.com were excellent. He missed a few
            > dimensions and I saw a few things that I changed, but overall the
            plans
            > were well worth the money. He acknowledges his mistakes in the plan
            book
            > and steers you in the right direction. I bought my stepper kit from
            > www.xylotex.com. Everything is preqired and plugin ready. Like I
            said in
            > the forum, I plan on firing up the machine for the 1st time on this
            > coming Sunday. If I can help I will. I'm a cad designer for a
            community
            > college in Illinois.
            >
            > Gregg
            >
            > ________________________________

            Behalf
            > Of akagai1960
            > Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 9:50 AM
            > To: Xylotex@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [Xylotex] Newbie - where to begin?
            >

            > Hello,
            > I want to build a CNC machine but am overwhelmed and excited by all
            the
            > technology I will need to learn. You guys are using acronmyns left
            and
            > right.
            > Where do I begin?
            > Is there someplace that describes the types of machines and options?
            > Thanks in advance for your support.
            > Can't wait till I catch up with you guys.
            > Perry

          • jeetendra_g10
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 1, 2008
              hi newbies!!!

              welcome!!

              (1)building a homelevel cnc is easy(and cheap)
              (2)read before you buy,the mach manuals,emc manuals also,xylotex
              manuals.tons of good info.
              woodweb.com gives practical wood cutting advice for cnc professionals.
              (3)personal advice: buy a kit 92 from kits r us at 10-15$,learn some
              soldering,some basic electronics.a modern kit like xylotex will not
              require electronics knowledge per se,but if you are comfortable with
              electronic components,you are much less likely to damage anything.
              (4)by personal experience,cnc frames are extremely tolerant to
              bad/semi-good design.my own frames look like cr*p but they work very
              well,i did not follow anyones plans,but i did look at existing cnc
              machines and asked a lot of questions,as to why is this that way,that
              gear the other way.
              (5)the cnc community is actually pleased to help you out normally.so
              if you have questions,fire away,but do read the mac /emc manuals among
              others to avoid asking questions that have been answered a million
              billion times.

              (6) learn about stepper motor back emf,as these can damage a drive,and
              about power switching limitations,as you can't switch power to a
              drive,nor can you disconnect a powered drive,bth being source of
              unnnecessary burnt drives.

              (7)everyday,i marvel at how easy it was to build,and how wonderful
              things can be cut out.my own garage version cuts 0.5 mm -0.25mm
              accuracy easily,with 10$ all thread.

              (8)diy cnc is like hotel california,once you get the bug,you can check
              out anytime,but you will never leave. :)
              i learnt so many things about pc control i am making my living room
              with automated blinds,projector screen control,garden fountain
              control.you really learn so many technical things in these forums that
              it will help you out in many other technical domains.