Re: Diagram of Power Supply & Driver Board

  • xylotex
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 1, 2003
      Hi Dave,
      I'm not sure if your E-Stop schematic was just a "general idea"
      type of thing, but one thing you may want to add to the circuit is a
      diode across the coil of the relay (diode pointing left). Also
      another thing to consider adding. To the junction to the right of
      your e-stop switch, add a resistor divider, that when e-stop is
      closed (normal operation) will produce about 4.5V. When the switch
      is opened, it will fall to 0V. This could be tied to the boards
      SLEEP# input. Thus, when you hit the E-stop, not only do you cut the
      voltage to the drive (which could take some time to decay because of
      capacitors), you also put the drive to SLEEP, which will disconnect
      the internal stepper drivers quickly. What do you think?

      Jeff

      --- In Xylotex@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Hylands" <dhylands@b...> wrote:
      > I'm planning on using one of those big red Emergency stop buttons. I
      > picked one up on eBay. The particular one I got is only momentary,
      not
      > the push-pull variety.
      >
      > To accommodate this, and to have a when the power fails, stay off
      mode,
      > I'm planning on using a relay, the E-Stop switch and a 'Start'
      switch.

      > I threw together a very rough schematic and put it here:

      > The switch on the bottom left is the Normally Closed E-Stop switch.
      >
      > The switch on the right is a momentary 'Start' pushbutton.
      >
      > Pushing the start pushbutton, activates the relay, which uses one
      of the
      > contacts to keep itself 'on'.
      >
      > Losing power, or pressing the E-Stop switch causes the relay to
      > deactivate until the start button is pushed again. This circuit
      should
      > also work with one of the push-pull variety switches.
      >
      > The actual relay that I found in my scrap box is a 4PDT, so I may
      use
      > the additional contacts to control the 120 VAC for the spindle (the
      > relay is rated at 120 VAC 5A or 30 VDC 5A).
      >
      > I'm not sure if 5A is enough for the Sherline spindle (it says it
      can
      > draw up to 17A @ 90VDC at start time), so I may need an additional
      relay
      > for that.
      >
      > --
      > Dave Hylands
      > Vancouver, BC, Canada
      > http://www.DaveHylands.com/

      These
      > > > would be mounted so that a bracket on the moving part engages
      the
      > > > switch fixed on the mill. The bracket is designed and placed
      so
      > > that
      > > > it will engage the switch at the ledge, but then keep rolling up
      > > the
      > > > ledge and across with no problem
      > > >
      > > > Be able to roll across to
      > > > this edge whithout damaging switch
      > > > |
      > > > \/
      > > > ==============\
      > > > ================\ <--Engage here (OK direction -->)
      > > > ==================\
      > > > ===============================================
      > > >
      > > > /\............../\................/\
      > > > .|...............|.................|
      > > > Hard Stop........Switch stop.......Switch not contacting
      (running
      > > OK)
      > > >
      > > > Let me know if that needs clarification
      > > >
      > > > Jeff

      > > > different

      > > > straight
      > > or
      > > of
      > > them..

    • Dave Hylands
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 1, 2003
        Hi Jeff,

        Thanks for the input. Yes, this was just an "off the top of my head"
        schematic. I figured I needed a diode in there somewhere but hadn't yet
        done the research to figure out where. I'm quite comfortable with
        digital electronics and somewhat more shaky with the analog stuff,
        typically borrowing ideas from other peoples designs.

        I like the sleep idea. Since my E-Stop switch is momentary and my relay
        is DPDT, I think I'll connect the SLEEP# input through a pullup to the
        NC side of the switch that keeps the coil activated. I'd have to change
        the switch wiring abit so that the center portion of the switch went to
        ground (right now the NO side goes to ground).

        I'll update the schematic later on today and repost.

        --
        Dave Hylands
        Vancouver, BC, Canada

      • Joe McHam
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 1, 2003
          --- In Xylotex@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Hylands" <dhylands@b...> wrote:
          > Hi Jeff,
          >
          > Thanks for the input. Yes, this was just an "off the top of my head"
          > schematic. I figured I needed a diode in there somewhere but hadn't
          yet
          > done the research to figure out where. I'm quite comfortable with
          > digital electronics and somewhat more shaky with the analog stuff,
          > typically borrowing ideas from other peoples designs.
          >
          > I like the sleep idea. Since my E-Stop switch is momentary and my
          relay
          > is DPDT, I think I'll connect the SLEEP# input through a pullup to
          the
          > NC side of the switch that keeps the coil activated. I'd have to
          change
          > the switch wiring abit so that the center portion of the switch
          went to
          > ground (right now the NO side goes to ground).
          >
          > I'll update the schematic later on today and repost.
          >
          > --
          > Dave Hylands
          > Vancouver, BC, Canada
          > http://www.DaveHylands.com/

          Hi Dave.. great web site.. sure looks like you got the right stuff
          for using the Sherline Mill and Lathe. My mill is about 90% done on
          the CNC. What software are you using to run the mill in making
          those nice looking parts. I would like to see your circuit for the
          control of the mill with the Xylotex driver board.. if you don't
          mind.. emailing it to me. Before I apply power to the driver and
          steppers, I want to make sure I can shut it down in a flash..if
          something goes haywire..... I've put too much labor and love into
          this Mill to destroy it.. LOL.. I am open to any suggestions as far
          as control circuitry for the Mill.. Thanks
          Joe McHam
          K5MAC
          Houston, TX
        • Dave Hylands
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 2, 2003
            Hi Joe,

            > Hi Dave.. great web site.. sure looks like you got the right stuff
            > for using the Sherline Mill and Lathe. My mill is about 90% done on
            > the CNC. What software are you using to run the mill in making
            > those nice looking parts. I would like to see your circuit for the
            > control of the mill with the Xylotex driver board.. if you don't
            > mind.. emailing it to me. Before I apply power to the driver and
            > steppers, I want to make sure I can shut it down in a flash..if
            > something goes haywire..... I've put too much labor and love into
            > this Mill to destroy it.. LOL.. I am open to any suggestions as far
            > as control circuitry for the Mill.. Thanks
            > Joe McHam
            > K5MAC
            > Houston, TX

            Thanks for the compliment.

            So far, everything I've done on my mill is manual. I finally have all of
            the bits and pieces to make it CNC, and I'm slowly making progress on
            that front (This working for a living cuts into my hobby time :)

            I do plan on posting a schematic for my completed circuit, but I have to
            get it working first :)

            --
            Dave Hylands
            Vancouver, BC, Canada
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 2, 2003
              Hi,
              I've put a schematic labeled SampleSch.PDF in the files section.
              It could be used as a starting point for E-STOP or Spindle control.

              Questions, comments, suggestions, corrections, enhancments welcome.

              Thanks,

              Jeff
            • Nigel Christianson
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 2, 2003
                Hi Jeff,

                I think you are missing a resistor between the noninverting input
                (pin 5) and ground (pin4) on the LM293.

                Regards
                Nigel
                --- In Xylotex@yahoogroups.com, "xylotex" <xylotex@h...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                > I've put a schematic labeled SampleSch.PDF in the files section.
                > It could be used as a starting point for E-STOP or Spindle control.
                >
                > Questions, comments, suggestions, corrections, enhancments welcome.
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Jeff
              • Dave Hylands
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 2, 2003
                  Hi Jeff,

                  I've updated my schematic.

                  I'd like to discuss the advantages/disadvantages of using the comparator
                  for generation of the sleep versus the way I've done it.

                  The obvious disadvantage to my approach is that the switch is on the
                  ground side rather than the high side. The advantage if fewer
                  components.

                  --
                  Dave Hylands
                  Vancouver, BC, Canada

                • Dave Hylands
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 3, 2003
                    After looking at my schematic again, I realized that the "To Spindle
                    Enable Relay" line can't be used (because it's connected through the
                    pull up resistor).

                    I think I've just convinced myself of the adavantages of the LM293.

                    --
                    Dave Hylands
                    Vancouver, BC, Canada

                  • xylotex
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 3, 2003
                      Hi,
                      I'm not sure if the switch is better to be on the high side or the
                      low side. Anybody????

                      Anyway I do like Dave's schematic. Nice and simple (and
                      inexpensive). By moving the *To Spindle Enable Relay* away from GND,
                      and to the same place as the SLEEP#, and using this signal also as
                      source for an LED in an optoisolated switch, you can turn off a
                      spindle. You would still want another signal (from the PC perhaps)
                      to enable the spindle though.

                      The one thing that I am trying to do with SLEEP# is to get it
                      engaged as soon as possible. This would mean while the voltages at
                      VBB are still relatively high (while the relay is in the process of
                      disengaging). Putting the drive to SLEEP will use the electronic
                      switches inside the drive to disconnect the motors from VBB, which is
                      much faster than waiting for the relay to open. As such, the
                      schematic that I posted fails at this (so I am working on a new
                      design). In the schematic as it stands (Ver 0.0), the voltage at
                      2in+ is essentially just VBB (normal run time about 24V). When the
                      relay opens, VBB will start to fall. When it falls below the voltage
                      at 2in- (set by the pot to about 23V), then the comparator will
                      change and drive the 2out LOW and put the device to SLEEP. I could
                      use a voltage divider at 2in+, but this would just mean setting the
                      pot to a lower voltage as well.
                      One of the reasons I want to put the drive to SLEEP quickly, is so
                      that the relay will not really be switching a 24V load.
                      Disconnecting DC current generally leads to sparks and things. If
                      the drive is put to SLEEP, then there will be much less af a load for
                      the relay to switch off.

                      Jeff

                      --- In Xylotex@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Hylands" <dhylands@b...> wrote:
                      > Hi Jeff,
                      >
                      > I've updated my schematic.
                      >
                      > I'd like to discuss the advantages/disadvantages of using the
                      comparator
                      > for generation of the sleep versus the way I've done it.

                      > The obvious disadvantage to my approach is that the switch is on the
                      > ground side rather than the high side. The advantage if fewer
                      > components.
                      >
                      > --
                      > Dave Hylands
                      > Vancouver, BC, Canada
                      > http://www.DaveHylands.com/

                    • Dave Hylands
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 3, 2003
                        Hi Jeff,

                        Sounds like a job for a small microcontroller (PIC or AVR). Obviously,
                        this would add lots more complexity, but it would allow the MCU to
                        detect the E-stop, and activate Sleep immediately, wait for a small
                        period of time, and then hit the relay.

                        If the MCU had an A/D input, it could monitor the VBB voltage and only
                        turn it off after if fell below some point.

                        I'll have to think about this some more.

                        I like the idea of using E-Stop as the "normal" method for turning the
                        machine off. Eventually your brain accepts this and it becomes the
                        automatic action that you want to take to turn things off in a hurry.
                        This makes the idea of waiting for the current to drop before switching
                        the relay a very good one.

                        It would probably also be good to have some visual indication of whether
                        the machine is in E-Stop or not. Some LEDs attached to the SLEEP line
                        should do this.

                        I remember you asking a while back if SLEEP should be left in for your
                        next rev of the board. I would say from this discussion that the answer
                        is YES.

                        So I think what we need is to have E-Stop driving Sleep directly (ok,
                        through a flip-flop) and perhaps a timer circuit to control the relay. I
                        guess on starting you'd want the inverse. Get the power hooked up first,
                        before taking the Xylotex out of Sleep.

                        --
                        Dave Hylands
                        Vancouver, BC, Canada

                      • xylotex
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 3, 2003
                          Hi Dave,
                          Everyone seems to have their own idea of what E-STOP should be. My
                          personal opinion is E-STOP should bring the motion of the machine to
                          a rapid a stop as possible (spindle too). Turning power off (using E-
                          STOP as a power switch) to a machine in motion with nice smooth
                          linear guides and ballscrews will allow the machine to continue to
                          slide from inertia. Using some kind of active or passive electronic
                          braking can help solve this, but adds to complexity.
                          I am planning on keeping the SLEEP circuitry after all. What I
                          have done for the next rev of board is to add ENA# jumpers Like the
                          ones used for step selection) for each axis. This way the current
                          method of using the ENA# connector is removed, and a user can just
                          install jumpers. If they want though, the jumpers can be removed,
                          and the ENA# can also be used as part of an E-STOP type of circuit
                          from the 10 pin header.
                          Going to a microcontroller to handle things unfortunatly takes
                          things out of the realm of what a person can put together by buying
                          stuff from digikey and following the wiring diagram of the schematic
                          (sort of the idea behind a simple schematic). It is a good idea for
                          production type of systems though.
                          The real problem in this whole thing revolves around complexity
                          and cost. A latching E-STOP switch would be nice, but it costs more.
                          A DPDT E-STOP switch would also be nice (one side to handle 24V, and
                          the other logic), but it is also more expensive. A DPDT enable
                          switch would also be nice (but probably more expensive too). Any
                          electronics (like the comparitor I used), probably throws the whole
                          subject out the door for many users. I'll have to review the whole
                          thing some more to try to come up with a good plan that most people
                          could use.