98Re: Explaining the Facts of Life

  • lordofarken
    Jan 13, 2007
      Wesley just sits there for a moment, totally stunned and almost
      shell-shocked. His parents had told them that life outside Antartica
      was different, but this was... something else. Even the little that
      he new about the KKK was from a movie he had seen (O Brother Where
      Art Thou), which had portrayed them more comically than anything
      else. It wasn't until his mom had sat him down and actually TOLD him
      what the KKK were and what they did that he actually had come to
      regard them with some sort of a serious attitude... but that was
      decades ago that that was a problem, wasn't it? Wesley's ears were
      lowered, his expression down as he thought about it.

      "Um..." he started to speak up, looking at Brian, who evidently had
      all the answers. "Sometimes while my dad was running out the sleds
      and having some scientist or other up to visit, my parents would
      tell me that I should go out and sleep with the dogs. They normally
      wouldn't let me do that, so I was always excited... but they said
      that I should stay out of sight from the scientists." Wesley looked
      over to where the holograms had been only a few moments before. "I
      thought it was because they would need to focus on their work, or
      maybe they needed the extra bed... but they were probably like these
      guys, huh?" Welsey looked at Miki, then over at Brian. "We're...
      we're not very well liked, are we?"

      --- In XavierSchool@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <briainhuntere@...>
      wrote:

      > You've obviously heard of them, Miki. Jonathon's voice held a note
      of
      > distaste, as if he were just to have eaten one of Ryan's shrimp
      bowls.

      > "Yeah there was a chapter in my hometown," Miki nodded her head
      slowly,
      > a more sickly shade of green coloring her cheeks as she brought up
      the
      > memories. "Even if the mutants looked well... normal, they'd be
      > breaking bones, firebombing houses, smashing windows. I thought
      some of
      > the stories were just exagerated but, you've obviously met them."
      >
      > No, actually I haven't. That was set up by Storm and and Cyclops
      as a an
      > introduction to dealing with unfriendly crowds. At this point, the
      raven
      > haired youth sees the confused and faintly glassy-eyed look in the
      > shorter of the two new students. Jonathon sighs softly and motions
      for
      > everyone to sit down on the floor. It seems that your life was
      even more
      > sheltered than you might guess, Wesley. Have you ever heard of the
      KKK,
      > Wesley? The furry head nods in confusion. Well, the Friends of
      Humanity
      > are the KKK and we mutants are the black population. Admittedly,
      people
      > aren't that comfortable with mutants, but when you add the FOH
      into the
      > mix, it just plunges us into the realm of complete social frag.
      >
      > These guys think that we are all freaks and deserve to have the
      > equivalent of a lynching happen to each one of us. If you want to
      know
      > more about them, ask any of the teachers. But as for what you
      saw...
      > well the FOH would call it fighting, but then they'd say we were
      > fighting back if we did anything other than let them beat the
      shite out
      > of us. You will learn some basic self-defense at a minimum, and
      more if
      > you want. But those people are out there and they don't like us.
      It's
      > sad, but that is the truth.
      >

      > --- In XavierSchool@yahoogroups.com, Willow <spiritofthewillow@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > "You don't know about the friends of humanity?" Miki asked. She
      had
      > thought that they were everywhere. They were certainly a common
      enough
      > sight in her home town. There were constantly rumors of their
      attacks on
      > mutants, but she had always chosen to discount them as
      exaggerated. But
      > now she realized that they were probably worse than what rumor had
      made
      > them seem. Where before the mutants were those to be feared and
      avoided,
      > now the so-called Friends of Humanity were the fearsome enemies.
      > > >
      > > >"Waitwaitwaitwaitwait." Wesley shoots off the line in a hurried
      > > >frenzied, looking around. "Who were those guys, and why were
      they
      > > >attacking that person? Are they just street thugs?" He looks
      from
      > > >person to person, his eyes wide and uncomprehending. His
      parents had
      > > >mentioned that mutants weren't very well liked, and thats why
      the
      > > >school was secret, but they had never mentioned being beat
      up! "This
      > > >Potential Development watchamacallit... is it to teach us how
      to [i]
      > > >fight?[/i]
      > >

      > > ~Ná Elbereth veria le, ná elenath dín síla erin rád o
      > chuil lín~
      > > May Elbereth protect you, may her stars shine on the path of your
      > life.
      > > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic