Sieg X1 Mill

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2008
      Hi,

      I am new to the group and would be grateful for some advice. I have
      recently bought a Sieg X1 Milling machine from Arc Euro Trade. I came
      across a rotary table from Chronos (http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/), ref
      no: ROT3B . This is a 3" Rotary table. If anyone has a few minutes
      to spare perhaps they could advise me if this table will be suitable
      for the X1.

      Many thanks,
      Mark
    • Andrew Howard
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2, 2008
        Mark  ----

        I actually do have an X1 which I am about to sell because I'm going up a size or two - hence my questions on X3. My 4 inch rotary table fits my X1 So a 3 inch should be Ok. It's more a question of fiddling the bolt down screws to line up with the T slots - I would envisage no snags. Suck it and see !! You wont be able to go over 3/8 diameter end mill because the machine's too small. Any way on that size table it's more likely you'll use a 1/4 or 5/16

        Very wise going to Arc they know what they're doing and are very helpful. Did you get them to prepare it ? If not then check it with a fine tooth combe else you'll almost certainly have problems. Arc admit to what they sell ie cheap - may or may not be accurate; that's why they offer a prep service. The other companies are not obliging and just want your money.

        The X1 is Ok just don't expect to plough it off !!

        Regards Andrew Howard

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3, 2008
          Hi Andrew,

          I do appreciate your comments and suggestions. I bought the X1 un-
          prepared. I thought by doing it myself, I would learn a lot about
          taking it apart and putting it back together again.

          Any major things that I should look out for when I start to remove
          components?

          Regards,
          Mark

          --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew
          Howard" <deepleigh@...> wrote:

          > Mark ----
          >
          > I actually do have an X1 which I am about to sell because I'm
          going up a size or two - hence my questions on X3. My 4 inch rotary
          table fits my X1 So a 3 inch should be Ok. It's more a question of
          fiddling the bolt down screws to line up with the T slots - I would
          envisage no snags. Suck it and see !! You wont be able to go over 3/
          8 diameter end mill because the machine's too small. Any way on that
          size table it's more likely you'll use a 1/4 or 5/16

          > Very wise going to Arc they know what they're doing and are very
          helpful. Did you get them to prepare it ? If not then check it with
          a fine tooth combe else you'll almost certainly have problems. Arc
          admit to what they sell ie cheap - may or may not be accurate;
          that's why they offer a prep service. The other companies are not
          obliging and just want your money.

          > The X1 is Ok just don't expect to plough it off !!
          >
          > Regards Andrew Howard

        • Andrew Howard
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 3, 2008
            Mark ---

            If you don't count the electronics there is little in it.

            Grease the gears etc well they seemed to me to be poorly done.

            Check the accuracy in all directions. My X1 was way out I had to shim the column up square. If you're good it's worth adding a correctly graduated vertical slide so that you do not rely on the quill graduations to feed down.
            Buy a new L shaped nut block - they come undrilled for the main nut thread, a cross slide graduation dial and drag spring. Then screw cut a LH  3/8 BSF thread if your imperial or a 10mm X ?? if you're metric. My machine is imperial so I do not know what pitch you would need for mm but it's easy enough to work out to match the graduated dial. The result is a machine twice as good.

            You need to be sure that the screw is accurate so only do it on a reputable lathe ie not Chinese !!! and get a GOOD tap to match. Otherwise the pitch error over 10" or so is too great, and the nut won't fit the screw or the head move the same distance as the graduations say.

            The machine is really basic you'll soon learn it But do check it's accuracy and sort it if necessary else it'll be pretty useless.

            That's about it

            Howard" <deepleigh@. ..> wrote:

            > Mark ----
            >
            > I actually do have an X1 which I am about to sell because I'm
            going up a size or two - hence my questions on X3. My 4 inch rotary
            table fits my X1 So a 3 inch should be Ok. It's more a question of
            fiddling the bolt down screws to line up with the T slots - I would
            envisage no snags. Suck it and see !! You wont be able to go over 3/
            8 diameter end mill because the machine's too small. Any way on that
            size table it's more likely you'll use a 1/4 or 5/16

            > Very wise going to Arc they know what they're doing and are very
            helpful. Did you get them to prepare it ? If not then check it with
            a fine tooth combe else you'll almost certainly have problems. Arc
            admit to what they sell ie cheap - may or may not be accurate;
            that's why they offer a prep service. The other companies are not
            obliging and just want your money.

            > The X1 is Ok just don't expect to plough it off !!
            >
            > Regards Andrew Howard

          • Brian Squibb
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 3, 2008

              I prepared my X1 myself. It is just a case of taking it apart and removing the preserving oil and replacing it with real oil.

              Adjust everything so that it moves freely and remove burs if there are any (I found none)

              I took about 3 hours in total.

              Howard" <deepleigh@...> wrote:

              > Mark ----
              >
              > I actually do have an X1 which I am about to sell because I'm
              going up a size or two - hence my questions on X3. My 4 inch rotary
              table fits my X1 So a 3 inch should be Ok. It's more a question of
              fiddling the bolt down screws to line up with the T slots - I would
              envisage no snags. Suck it and see !! You wont be able to go over 3/
              8 diameter end mill because the machine's too small. Any way on that
              size table it's more likely you'll use a 1/4 or 5/16

              > Very wise going to Arc they know what they're doing and are very
              helpful. Did you get them to prepare it ? If not then check it with
              a fine tooth combe else you'll almost certainly have problems. Arc
              admit to what they sell ie cheap - may or may not be accurate;
              that's why they offer a prep service. The other companies are not
              obliging and just want your money.

              > The X1 is Ok just don't expect to plough it off !!
              >
              > Regards Andrew Howard

            • Andrew Howard
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 4, 2008
                Yes ---

                Agreed.   But did you check the accuracy i.e. column at 90 deg to the table and that it all moves by the same amount as the dials say. Sad to say but they don't always.

                Andrew

                Howard" <deepleigh@.. .> wrote:

                > Mark ----
                >
                > I actually do have an X1 which I am about to sell because I'm
                going up a size or two - hence my questions on X3. My 4 inch rotary
                table fits my X1 So a 3 inch should be Ok. It's more a question of
                fiddling the bolt down screws to line up with the T slots - I would
                envisage no snags. Suck it and see !! You wont be able to go over 3/
                8 diameter end mill because the machine's too small. Any way on that
                size table it's more likely you'll use a 1/4 or 5/16

                > Very wise going to Arc they know what they're doing and are very
                helpful. Did you get them to prepare it ? If not then check it with
                a fine tooth combe else you'll almost certainly have problems. Arc
                admit to what they sell ie cheap - may or may not be accurate;
                that's why they offer a prep service. The other companies are not
                obliging and just want your money.

                > The X1 is Ok just don't expect to plough it off !!
                >
                > Regards Andrew Howard

              • Chris Horne
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 4, 2008
                  --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <mark.marina@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Andrew,
                  >
                  > I do appreciate your comments and suggestions. I bought the X1 un-
                  > prepared. I thought by doing it myself, I would learn a lot about
                  > taking it apart and putting it back together again.
                  >
                  > Any major things that I should look out for when I start to remove
                  > components?
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Mark
                  > >> SNIP >>>

                  As well as the other advice..give it a good blast with an air gun to
                  remove all the crud and sand hidden away in inaccessible parts of the
                  castings...

                • aa434409
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 24, 2009
                    Hello,

                    I recently bought a Seig X1 mill from Arc Euro Trade without opting for the fully prepared service. Does anyone know of any instruction that are available, so that I can do this myself?

                    Is it possible to buy metal gears to replace the plastic gears on the Sieg X!.

                    I also have a 7 x 12 mini lathe and am carefully following David Fenner's suggestions in his book - the Mini-Lathe - in setting my machine up.

                    Many thanks,
                    Mark