X2 v X3 decision

  • bcparfitt001
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 6, 2008
      Hello all. I currently have an Atlas/Craftsman 6" lathe (my
      grandfather's) and am looking to add some milling capabilities to my
      outfit. I am relatively new to machining and have been looking at the
      Sieg branded X2 and X3 mills. My intent is to do some modeling and
      perhaps fabricate some parts for my bike and boat. The X2 looks like it
      will fit most of my needs. My concern is that I may outgrow it quickly
      and wish I had gone with the X3. Has anyone worked with both mills and
      if so, what can you provide in terms of feedback on the longevity of
      the X2 vs the X3 for this type of work? Is it simply a matter of part
      size to be machined when considering these two models? Am I likely to
      have buyers remorse 3-4 months down the road fumbling with the X2? I do
      like the fact the the X3 has an actual quill which would seem to help
      in drilling operations. Drilling a bunch of similar size holes in a
      part on the X2 would seem to be a pain.

      Anyway, glad to see you guys have a group here and look forward to
      participating in your community!

      Brian
      Buffalo, New York
    • Tony Jeffree
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 7, 2008
        If you have the space for it, get the X3. You can always do a small
        job on a large mill; a large job on a small mill isn't so easy.

        Regards,
        Tony

        At 00:35 07/01/2008, you wrote:
        >Hello all. I currently have an Atlas/Craftsman 6" lathe (my
        >grandfather's) and am looking to add some milling capabilities to my
        >outfit. I am relatively new to machining and have been looking at the
        >Sieg branded X2 and X3 mills. My intent is to do some modeling and
        >perhaps fabricate some parts for my bike and boat. The X2 looks like it
        >will fit most of my needs. My concern is that I may outgrow it quickly
        >and wish I had gone with the X3. Has anyone worked with both mills and
        >if so, what can you provide in terms of feedback on the longevity of
        >the X2 vs the X3 for this type of work? Is it simply a matter of part
        >size to be machined when considering these two models? Am I likely to
        >have buyers remorse 3-4 months down the road fumbling with the X2? I do
        >like the fact the the X3 has an actual quill which would seem to help
        >in drilling operations. Drilling a bunch of similar size holes in a
        >part on the X2 would seem to be a pain.
        >
        >Anyway, glad to see you guys have a group here and look forward to
        >participating in your community!
        >
        >Brian
        >Buffalo, New York
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Alan Wright
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 7, 2008
          The X3 dwarfs the X2 in size and mass, and is a better overall
          design (e.g. quill, screw on Z axis). No brainer if you can fit the
          X3 into your space and budget. Also, the list of things to rebuild
          or rework on the X3 is small compared to the X2. Mainly just watch
          for Z-axis gib problems and R8 spindle fit issues. X3 does not have
          the problem of gears breaking (or belt-drive upgrades), nor the
          horrid rack gearing on Z.

          Alan

          --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "bcparfitt001"
          <bcparfitt@...> wrote:

          > Hello all. I currently have an Atlas/Craftsman 6" lathe (my
          > grandfather's) and am looking to add some milling capabilities to
          my
          > outfit. I am relatively new to machining and have been looking at
          the
          > Sieg branded X2 and X3 mills. My intent is to do some modeling and
          > perhaps fabricate some parts for my bike and boat. The X2 looks
          like it
          > will fit most of my needs. My concern is that I may outgrow it
          quickly
          > and wish I had gone with the X3. Has anyone worked with both mills
          and
          > if so, what can you provide in terms of feedback on the longevity
          of
          > the X2 vs the X3 for this type of work? Is it simply a matter of
          part
          > size to be machined when considering these two models? Am I likely
          > have buyers remorse 3-4 months down the road fumbling with the X2?
          I do
          > like the fact the the X3 has an actual quill which would seem to
          help
          > in drilling operations. Drilling a bunch of similar size holes in
          > part on the X2 would seem to be a pain.
          >
          > Anyway, glad to see you guys have a group here and look forward to
          > participating in your community!
          >
          > Brian
          > Buffalo, New York

        • figNoggle
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 7, 2008
            hi brian-

            in addition to tony's suggestion, also be sure to keep in mind the cost of
            tooling. it'll be similar with both machines, but that extra cost of
            going with the x3 may be a determining factor for some.

            having said that, once you get an x3, you may outgrow that and wish to get
            an rf45.. :) the x2 also gets plenty of use in the shop for prototyping
            small parts and semi-production runs, so it's still quite a workhorse.

            drilling using the x2 works just fine. the difference between moving the
            head versus the quill feels similar. if you do plan on drilling lots of
            holes, you may find the x2's z-axis travel lacking. this is where the x3
            would be less restrictive.

            we bought the rf45 a short time after getting the x3 and between the
            two, find ourselves using the larger mill almost exclusively.

            there's lots of info on the machines on our website, if you want a
            comparison look at the various machines.

            good luck!
            david

            --

            Free photo storage for hobbyists - share pics! <http://www.hobbysnap.com>
            MetalWorkingFAQ.NET - Over 50 content sites! <http://www.metalworkingfaq.net>

            On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Tony Jeffree wrote:

            > If you have the space for it, get the X3. You can always do a small
            > job on a large mill; a large job on a small mill isn't so easy.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Tony
            >
            > At 00:35 07/01/2008, you wrote:
            >> Hello all. I currently have an Atlas/Craftsman 6" lathe (my
            >> grandfather's) and am looking to add some milling capabilities to my
            >> outfit. I am relatively new to machining and have been looking at the
            >> Sieg branded X2 and X3 mills. My intent is to do some modeling and
            >> perhaps fabricate some parts for my bike and boat. The X2 looks like it
            >> will fit most of my needs. My concern is that I may outgrow it quickly
            >> and wish I had gone with the X3. Has anyone worked with both mills and
            >> if so, what can you provide in terms of feedback on the longevity of
            >> the X2 vs the X3 for this type of work? Is it simply a matter of part
            >> size to be machined when considering these two models? Am I likely to
            >> have buyers remorse 3-4 months down the road fumbling with the X2? I do
            >> like the fact the the X3 has an actual quill which would seem to help
            >> in drilling operations. Drilling a bunch of similar size holes in a
            >> part on the X2 would seem to be a pain.
            >>
            >> Anyway, glad to see you guys have a group here and look forward to
            >> participating in your community!
            >>
            >> Brian
            >> Buffalo, New York
            >>

            >> Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Len Alessi
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 7, 2008

              I believe that the X3 is 4 times the mill at only twice the price.  Be sure to get a power feed for it J

              Len

              At 00:35 07/01/2008, you wrote:

              >Hello all. I currently have an Atlas/Craftsman 6" lathe (my
              >grandfather' s) and am looking to add some milling capabilities to my
              >outfit. I am relatively new to machining and have been looking at the
              >Sieg branded X2 and X3 mills. My intent is to do some modeling and
              >perhaps fabricate some parts for my bike and boat. The X2 looks like it
              >will fit most of my needs. My concern is that I may outgrow it quickly
              >and wish I had gone with the X3. Has anyone worked with both mills and
              >if so, what can you provide in terms of feedback on the longevity of
              >the X2 vs the X3 for this type of work? Is it simply a matter of part
              >size to be machined when considering these two models? Am I likely to
              >have buyers remorse 3-4 months down the road fumbling with the X2? I do
              >like the fact the the X3 has an actual quill which would seem to help
              >in drilling operations. Drilling a bunch of similar size holes in a
              >part on the X2 would seem to be a pain.
              >
              >Anyway, glad to see you guys have a group here and look forward to
              >participating in your community!
              >
              >Brian
              > Buffalo ,
              w:st="on">New York

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • bcparfitt001
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 9, 2008
                Thanks for all the feedback everyone! All good info.

                I am attracted to the size advantage and quill features of the X3.
                That couple with the fact that I would most likely want to convert
                the X2 gear drive to belt after some time seems to point towards the
                X3 as a better choice. As luck would have it (or not have it), I see
                that Grizzly ran a special on the X3 for $850 that ended Dec 31st
                (shown in last issue of Home Shop Machinist). A quick call to them
                confirmed that the deal is indeed over and that the sale price
                cannot be honored. My preference would be to go with Grizzly as they
                seem to be better organized then Harbor Freight. However, I suppose
                it is possible that Harbor Freight counters with a sale in the very
                near future. Anyone have any real experiences with either HF or
                Grizzly? I have heard that HF also offers 20% sale coupons on any
                one item in the store from time to time. Has anyone seen anything
                like this recently? Hopefully, I will get lucky and catch a deal on
                this soon.

                Thanks again,
                Brian

                <bcparfitt@...> wrote:

                > Hello all. I currently have an Atlas/Craftsman 6" lathe (my
                > grandfather's) and am looking to add some milling capabilities to
                my
                > outfit. I am relatively new to machining and have been looking at
                the
                > Sieg branded X2 and X3 mills. My intent is to do some modeling and
                > perhaps fabricate some parts for my bike and boat. The X2 looks
                like it
                > will fit most of my needs. My concern is that I may outgrow it
                quickly
                > and wish I had gone with the X3. Has anyone worked with both mills
                and
                > if so, what can you provide in terms of feedback on the longevity
                of
                > the X2 vs the X3 for this type of work? Is it simply a matter of
                part
                > size to be machined when considering these two models? Am I likely
                > have buyers remorse 3-4 months down the road fumbling with the X2?
                I do
                > like the fact the the X3 has an actual quill which would seem to
                help
                > in drilling operations. Drilling a bunch of similar size holes in
                > part on the X2 would seem to be a pain.
                >
                > Anyway, glad to see you guys have a group here and look forward to
                > participating in your community!
                >
                > Brian
                > Buffalo, New York

              • Tony Jeffree
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 11, 2008
                  At 15:25 09/01/2008, you wrote:
                  >I see
                  >that Grizzly ran a special on the X3 for $850 that ended Dec 31st
                  >(shown in last issue of Home Shop Machinist). A quick call to them
                  >confirmed that the deal is indeed over and that the sale price
                  >cannot be honored.

                  You could always call them back and say that if they can offer you
                  one at the sale price they have a deal, otherwise you are going to
                  buy from HF ;-)

                  Regards,
                  Tony
                • Tom
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 11, 2008
                    Brian ==

                    I own an X3 mill (I don't USE it, just own it so far...duh)

                    I researched all the same options when I ultimately bought mine from Grizzly last year.  I'd stay away from HF.  I deal with them often, locally, and have pretty much ruled out buying anything with a motor.

                    Also, it seems to me the table width and X-axis travel were MUCH smaller on the red HF model than on the green Grizzly model.

                    Delivery and customer service were excellent (my missing quill lock lever was removed by Griz from an in-stock mill and UPSed to me within a week).

                    Tom

                    <bcparfitt@. ..> wrote:

                    > Hello all. I currently have an Atlas/Craftsman 6" lathe (my
                    > grandfather' s) and am looking to add some milling capabilities to
                    my
                    > outfit. I am relatively new to machining and have been looking at
                    the
                    > Sieg branded X2 and X3 mills. My intent is to do some modeling and
                    > perhaps fabricate some parts for my bike and boat. The X2 looks
                    like it
                    > will fit most of my needs. My concern is that I may outgrow it
                    quickly
                    > and wish I had gone with the X3. Has anyone worked with both mills
                    and
                    > if so, what can you provide in terms of feedback on the longevity
                    of
                    > the X2 vs the X3 for this type of work? Is it simply a matter of
                    part
                    > size to be machined when considering these two models? Am I likely
                    > have buyers remorse 3-4 months down the road fumbling with the X2?
                    I do
                    > like the fact the the X3 has an actual quill which would seem to
                    help
                    > in drilling operations. Drilling a bunch of similar size holes in
                    > part on the X2 would seem to be a pain.
                    >
                    > Anyway, glad to see you guys have a group here and look forward to
                    > participating in your community!
                    >
                    > Brian
                    > Buffalo, New York

                  • Alan Wright
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 11, 2008
                      Buyers report that the HF model actually has all the same dimensions
                      as the Grizzly one (in spite of any errors on their web site).
                      However, currently the HF costs more than the Grizzly, so no reason
                      to go with it unless they offer a much improved price. If you do go
                      with the HF you can probably get parts more conveniently from Griz.

                      Alan

                      --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tomaker@...> wrote:

                      > Brian ==
                      >
                      > I own an X3 mill (I don't USE it, just own it so far...duh)
                      >
                      > I researched all the same options when I ultimately bought mine
                      from Grizzly last year. I'd stay away from HF. I deal with them
                      often, locally, and have pretty much ruled out buying anything with
                      a motor.

                      > Also, it seems to me the table width and X-axis travel were MUCH
                      smaller on the red HF model than on the green Grizzly model.

                      > Delivery and customer service were excellent (my missing quill
                      lock lever was removed by Griz from an in-stock mill and UPSed to me
                      within a week).

                      > Tom

                    • robert knox
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 15, 2008
                        I own both in my shop the x2 - and x3 i use the x3
                        more it becaues of thge DRO that have on it the x2 is
                        a great low price machine , when drilling or tapping
                        i use the x3 because it has a reverse and the quil
                        floats better Bob www.knoxmotorsports.com
                        --- Alan Wright <alan@...> wrote:

                        > Buyers report that the HF model actually has all the
                        > same dimensions
                        > as the Grizzly one (in spite of any errors on their
                        > web site).
                        > However, currently the HF costs more than the
                        > Grizzly, so no reason
                        > to go with it unless they offer a much improved
                        > price. If you do go
                        > with the HF you can probably get parts more
                        > conveniently from Griz.
                        >
                        > Alan
                        >
                        > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "Tom"
                        > <tomaker@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Brian ==
                        > >
                        > > I own an X3 mill (I don't USE it, just own it so
                        > far...duh)
                        > >
                        > > I researched all the same options when I
                        > ultimately bought mine
                        > from Grizzly last year. I'd stay away from HF. I
                        > deal with them
                        > often, locally, and have pretty much ruled out
                        > buying anything with
                        > a motor.
                        > >
                        > > Also, it seems to me the table width and X-axis
                        > travel were MUCH
                        > smaller on the red HF model than on the green
                        > Grizzly model.
                        > >
                        > > Delivery and customer service were excellent (my
                        > missing quill
                        > lock lever was removed by Griz from an in-stock mill
                        > and UPSed to me
                        > within a week).
                        > >
                        > > Tom

                        Looking for last minute shopping deals?