Re: [X_Series_Mills] Re: replacement hex key bolts

  • Martin Evans
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 31, 2007
      On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 14:36:01 -0000, you wrote:

      >--- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, John Stevenson <john@...>
      >wrote:

      >> £3.25 each including VAT from Arc Euro.
      >> They also carry most of the sapre for these machines.
      >>
      >Thanks,
      >But I wanted index handled replacements, not the originals for hex
      >keys.

      I'm reasonably sure the latest X3's have indexing handles. Could be
      mistaken though as my X3 and a new table saw arrived at more or less
      the same time. I've briefly had a play with both but not had much
      chance to examine them more closely. I definitely know my saw has them
      though :)

      --
    • ketanswali1
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2007
        --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "cba_melbourne" <cba_mel@...>
        wrote:

        > > They are indexable ones and in alloy not plastic.
        >
        > The problm with the original Sieg ones is that I broke two of them
        in
        > the first week using the mill. By broke I mean the ratchet rips
        out.
        > The the stars on the screw are not drawn or machined, but simply
        > knurled with sharp edges. Lacking a gripping area, the cast handle
        > simply looses its "teeth". There appear to be huge variations in
        > quality too, because some Sieg handles last longer than others.
        >
        > Quality western made ratchet handles are far superior to the
        > originals. Even the cheaper ones with reinforced plastic handle are
        > real tough compared to Sieg originals and will last a lifetime on a
        > hobby machine tool (but the two order numbers I gave previously
        were
        > for the Zinc ones). RS is not the cheapest supplier, but fast and
        > convenient and represented worldwide. You can save 20% by ordering
        10
        > of the same, and you can save by picking up from the shop if
        located
        > near you.
        >
        > LMS in the US sells the original Sieg ratchet handles as spare
        parts.
        > They call it locking lever and it costs only US$ 1.50. I guess all
        > Sieg dealers stock these handles as many will break long before
        > warranty ends. Chris

        The Aliminium Indexable Handles we offer are not he same as those
        which come as part of the machine.:)
        Ketan.
      • Geoff.E
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2007
          Hi Ketan, and All,
          Well, my other pastime appears to be buying the most expensive!
          Seems the story of my life ...
          But I did have a look at Arceurotrade site but they are not offering index handles in M4 which I want to replace the Hex Gib Lock screw.
          Plus they have been annotated out of stock for the last week or so.
          I suppose I could drill out and use a larger screw but that seemed a bit overkill for a new machine.
          Thanks for the interest
          Geoff