Re: X3 Powerfeed

  • paulj1950
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 15, 2012
      Hello Mario,
      I have an SX3 which came with a factory fitted power feed. It certainly makes machining easier.
      The motor does add some extra resistance to the x-axis screw.
      When the direction select lever is in the neutral position there is some extra resistance when using the hand wheel but it does not prevent you from using it manually.
      If the direction selector is engaged in either the left or right direction and the speed control is at zero, there is a much higher resistance. The lead screw can still be turned but is much harder.
      I have had my mill for 12 months now and the only problem is with the power feed. At the moment it is back with the supplier for repair.
      Paul.

      --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "micheli_mario" <mario.micheli@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I am looking to upgrade mi SX3 with a power feed for the x-axis. These Maplin DC gear motors appear ideal for the job. There is only one concern I have about keeping the possibility to advance the table with the hand wheel. How much torque do these DC gear motors require to rotate the shaft in off mode? Or otherwise, is there a need to disengage the drive shaft for manual milling?
      >
      > Thanks and best regards
      >
      > Mario
      >

      > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "majorityuk2000" <john.haine@> wrote:
      > >
      > > As someone pointed out DC motors with gearboxes are readily available from Maplin - you can get even heftier ones on their site. They also sell a DC speed controller which is quite cheap which should have enough capacity. Ignore this stuff about a transistor bridge to reverse it - use a mechanical reversing switch! Stepper are good but by the time you have bought the stepper, a driver and a power supply and rigged up a pulse generator it'll be a lot more expensive. (Unless you go for full CNC of course!)
      > >
      > > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "ray.tony27" <sandtray1@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I have not even got the super X3 yet and I am thinking about modding it.
      > > >
      > > > I'd like to build a powerfeed unit as the US version is not available in the UK (and its 110V. I can (probably) handle the electronic control side of things eithe buidling a stepper motor drive or a PWM controller to suit the recommended motor choice.
      > > >
      > > > Questions
      > > >
      > > > 1. Would a stepper or std DC motor be better ? I ask as steppers seem more readily available.
      > > >
      > > > 2. I'm confused about the units used for motor power as Watts and Newton cm are both used which is the most useful in this case ?
      > > >
      > > > 3. As I will be using the std feed screw (i.e. not a ball screw) what kind of (stepper or othewise) motor should I be looking for and what power ? I would like to be able to do rapid-ish traversing.
      > > >
      > > > 4. Based on recommendations for 3. above can anyone recommend suitable motors available in the UK.
      > > >

      > > > I have seem the windscreen wiper / window winder types buy no offence to their creators, I would like to do something a little more elegant.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks in advance
      > > >
      > > > Tony

    • Andrew
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 15, 2012
        Mario,

        I have a X2 which has a power feed I made. I found the drag for manual
        can be quite high. To solve the problem I flick the direction switch the
        other way and the resistance goes down to just about nothing. The reason
        I found was the the motor becomes a generator when you are turning the
        wheel. The electricity produced has to got somewhere and the electrical
        resistance, being high in one direction, increases the mechanical
        resistance. Flicking the direction switch simply allows the electrical
        current to flow and eases the resistance.

        Cheers,

        Andrew in Melbourne

        On 06/11/12 02:06, micheli_mario wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I am looking to upgrade mi SX3 with a power feed for the x-axis. These Maplin DC gear motors appear ideal for the job. There is only one concern I have about keeping the possibility to advance the table with the hand wheel. How much torque do these DC gear motors require to rotate the shaft in off mode? Or otherwise, is there a need to disengage the drive shaft for manual milling?
        >
        > Thanks and best regards
        >
        > Mario
        >

        > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "majorityuk2000" <john.haine@...> wrote:
        >> As someone pointed out DC motors with gearboxes are readily available from Maplin - you can get even heftier ones on their site. They also sell a DC speed controller which is quite cheap which should have enough capacity. Ignore this stuff about a transistor bridge to reverse it - use a mechanical reversing switch! Stepper are good but by the time you have bought the stepper, a driver and a power supply and rigged up a pulse generator it'll be a lot more expensive. (Unless you go for full CNC of course!)
        >>
        >> --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "ray.tony27" <sandtray1@> wrote:
        >>> I have not even got the super X3 yet and I am thinking about modding it.
        >>>
        >>> I'd like to build a powerfeed unit as the US version is not available in the UK (and its 110V. I can (probably) handle the electronic control side of things eithe buidling a stepper motor drive or a PWM controller to suit the recommended motor choice.
        >>>
        >>> Questions
        >>>
        >>> 1. Would a stepper or std DC motor be better ? I ask as steppers seem more readily available.
        >>>
        >>> 2. I'm confused about the units used for motor power as Watts and Newton cm are both used which is the most useful in this case ?
        >>>
        >>> 3. As I will be using the std feed screw (i.e. not a ball screw) what kind of (stepper or othewise) motor should I be looking for and what power ? I would like to be able to do rapid-ish traversing.
        >>>
        >>> 4. Based on recommendations for 3. above can anyone recommend suitable motors available in the UK.
        >>>

        >>> I have seem the windscreen wiper / window winder types buy no offence to their creators, I would like to do something a little more elegant.
        >>>
        >>> Thanks in advance
        >>>
        >>> Tony

      • Paul
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 16, 2012
          The following URL shows a solution to the drag problem for the power feed on an SX3.

          http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f28/x3-sx3-power-feed-clutch-4361/

          Paul H.

          --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, Andrew <akayton1@...> wrote:

          > Mario,
          >
          > I have a X2 which has a power feed I made. I found the drag for manual
          > can be quite high. To solve the problem I flick the direction switch the
          > other way and the resistance goes down to just about nothing. The reason
          > I found was the the motor becomes a generator when you are turning the
          > wheel. The electricity produced has to got somewhere and the electrical
          > resistance, being high in one direction, increases the mechanical
          > resistance. Flicking the direction switch simply allows the electrical
          > current to flow and eases the resistance.
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Andrew in Melbourne
          >

          > On 06/11/12 02:06, micheli_mario wrote:
          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > I am looking to upgrade mi SX3 with a power feed for the x-axis. These Maplin DC gear motors appear ideal for the job. There is only one concern I have about keeping the possibility to advance the table with the hand wheel. How much torque do these DC gear motors require to rotate the shaft in off mode? Or otherwise, is there a need to disengage the drive shaft for manual milling?
          > >
          > > Thanks and best regards
          > >
          > > Mario
          > >

          > > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "majorityuk2000" <john.haine@> wrote:
          > >> As someone pointed out DC motors with gearboxes are readily available from Maplin - you can get even heftier ones on their site. They also sell a DC speed controller which is quite cheap which should have enough capacity. Ignore this stuff about a transistor bridge to reverse it - use a mechanical reversing switch! Stepper are good but by the time you have bought the stepper, a driver and a power supply and rigged up a pulse generator it'll be a lot more expensive. (Unless you go for full CNC of course!)

        • micheli_mario
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 22, 2012
            Thanks to All for the feedback on my question.

            So,it will be a home made solution and I will go for a DC Motor with PWM. In a german forum a solution with a stepper motor has been presented but I believe, as long as only power feed is required and no CNC, that is over-killed. The control of the stepper motors is complicated and expensive.

            Thanks again and greetings from Italy

            Mario