Cutting circular shims on a mill?

  • dfaprinting
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 15, 2012
      I need to cut several "0" shaped circular shims out of brass for a project, anything above 0.005 inch think starts to get a little difficult on the inside edge and 0.015 is really starting to get difficult for the outside edges too. Is there a tool I can put in my mill to cut these?

      Size would range from 1/2 inch inner with 3/8 outer to 3/8 inner and slightly larger outer diameters. I thought about a fly cutter but can't find one that will go small enough.
    • Chris Wood
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 15, 2012

        Stack your shims between a couple ¼” (or even 1/8”) pieces of aluminum and go to work. Regular mills and drills will work fine.

        You can do them on a lathe this way too. Maybe the inside hole on the mill and the outside on the lathe.

        Regards,

        Chris Wood
        LittleMachineShop.com

        The premier source of tooling, parts, and accessories for bench top machinists.
        396 W. Washington Blvd. #500, Pasadena, CA 91103
        (800)981-9663 * Fax (626)797-7934

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 16, 2012

          Greetings,

          I use a tool plate and Mitee-Grip for very thin materials:

          http://www.home-machine-shop.com/Brass_ToolPlate_Mitee-Grip/

          Mitee-Grip is a professional machine shop product that allows controllable precision machining of very thin materials while using coolant which is difficult to achieve with other methods.

          Mitee-Grip is relatively expensive, however, a 12" by 5 foot roll will last quite a while in a home shop.

          The part is set to the tool plate for machining and released from the tool plate by heating the part and the tool plate between 180°F and 225°F using a hot plate or oven.

          The down side of Mitee-Grip is that it requires considerable effort to remove the tough wax residue with mineral spirits that is leftover on the part and the tool plate.

          http://www.miteebite.com/products/mitee_grip_e.html

          http://www.miteebite.com/

          Wholesale Tool sells a 12" by 5 foot roll of Mitee-Grip for $34.00:

          http://www.wttool.com/index/page/product/product_id/19455/name/Mitee-Grip+Holding+Products

          Global Industrial sells a 12" by 5 foot roll of Mitee-Grip for $36.95:

          http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/tools/Applicators/Caulk-Sealants/mitee-grip-heat-activated-adhesive-95768

          A 12" by 5 foot roll of Mitee-Grip will last a long time in the home shop.

          Ned

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 16, 2012
            That looks like neat stuff, I'll have to buy a roll. Have you ever used the stick version of this stuff?

            Maybe for the task at hand I should build a plate to mount on my rotary table to make cutting the circular shapes easier. Have to check the pieces of scrap I have and see if there is something large enough to make a couple different sizes. Maybe I should stack up several thicknesses at once so I have a good selection when it comes time to fit the parts.

            --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "nedtron" <ned@...> wrote:

            > Greetings,
            >
            > I use a tool plate and Mitee-Grip for very thin materials:
            >
            > http://www.home-machine-shop.com/Brass_ToolPlate_Mitee-Grip/
            > <http://www.home-machine-shop.com/Brass_ToolPlate_Mitee-Grip/>
            >
            > Mitee-Grip is a professional machine shop product that allows
            > controllable precision machining of very thin materials while using
            > coolant which is difficult to achieve with other methods.
            >
            > Mitee-Grip is relatively expensive, however, a 12" by 5 foot roll will
            > last quite a while in a home shop.
            >
            > The part is set to the tool plate for machining and released from the
            > tool plate by heating the part and the tool plate between 180°F and
            > 225°F using a hot plate or oven.
            >
            > The down side of Mitee-Grip is that it requires considerable effort to
            > remove the tough wax residue with mineral spirits that is leftover on
            > the part and the tool plate.
            >
            > http://www.miteebite.com/products/mitee_grip_e.html
            > <http://www.miteebite.com/products/mitee_grip_e.html>
            >
            > http://www.miteebite.com/ <http://www.miteebite.com/>
            >
            > Wholesale Tool sells a 12" by 5 foot roll of Mitee-Grip for $34.00:
            >
            > http://www.wttool.com/index/page/product/product_id/19455/name/Mitee-Gri\
            > p+Holding+Products
            > <http://www.wttool.com/index/page/product/product_id/19455/name/Mitee-Gr\
            > ip+Holding+Products>
            >
            > Global Industrial sells a 12" by 5 foot roll of Mitee-Grip for $36.95:
            >
            > http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/tools/Applicators/Caulk-Sealants/mitee\
            > -grip-heat-activated-adhesive-95768
            > <http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/tools/Applicators/Caulk-Sealants/mite\
            > e-grip-heat-activated-adhesive-95768>
            >
            > A 12" by 5 foot roll of Mitee-Grip will last a long time in the home
            > shop.
            >
            > Ned

          • nedtron
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 16, 2012

              Greetings,

              I have never used the stick form of Mitee-Grip.

              With Mitee-Grip you can also mill down to precisely control the thickness of the part or create a part with a Z axis profile.

              Ned

              --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "dfaprinting" <dfaprinting@...> wrote:

              > That looks like neat stuff, I'll have to buy a roll. Have you ever used the stick version of this stuff?
              >
              > Maybe for the task at hand I should build a plate to mount on my rotary table to make cutting the circular shapes easier. Have to check the pieces of scrap I have and see if there is something large enough to make a couple different sizes. Maybe I should stack up several thicknesses at once so I have a good selection when it comes time to fit the parts.
              >
              > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "nedtron" ned@ wrote:
              > >

              > > Greetings,
              > >
              > > I use a tool plate and Mitee-Grip for very thin materials:
              > >
              > > http://www.home-machine-shop.com/Brass_ToolPlate_Mitee-Grip/
              > > <http://www.home-machine-shop.com/Brass_ToolPlate_Mitee-Grip/>
              > >
              > > Mitee-Grip is a professional machine shop product that allows
              > > controllable precision machining of very thin materials while using
              > > coolant which is difficult to achieve with other methods.
              > >
              > > Mitee-Grip is relatively expensive, however, a 12" by 5 foot roll will
              > > last quite a while in a home shop.
              > >
              > > The part is set to the tool plate for machining and released from the
              > > tool plate by heating the part and the tool plate between 180°F and
              > > 225°F using a hot plate or oven.
              > >
              > > The down side of Mitee-Grip is that it requires considerable effort to
              > > remove the tough wax residue with mineral spirits that is leftover on
              > > the part and the tool plate.
              > >
              > > http://www.miteebite.com/products/mitee_grip_e.html
              > > <http://www.miteebite.com/products/mitee_grip_e.html>
              > >
              > > http://www.miteebite.com/ <http://www.miteebite.com/>
              > >
              > > Wholesale Tool sells a 12" by 5 foot roll of Mitee-Grip for $34.00:
              > >
              > > http://www.wttool.com/index/page/product/product_id/19455/name/Mitee-Gri\
              > > p+Holding+Products
              > > <http://www.wttool.com/index/page/product/product_id/19455/name/Mitee-Gr\
              > > ip+Holding+Products>
              > >
              > > Global Industrial sells a 12" by 5 foot roll of Mitee-Grip for $36.95:
              > >
              > > http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/tools/Applicators/Caulk-Sealants/mitee\
              > > -grip-heat-activated-adhesive-95768
              > > <http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/tools/Applicators/Caulk-Sealants/mite\
              > > e-grip-heat-activated-adhesive-95768>
              > >
              > > A 12" by 5 foot roll of Mitee-Grip will last a long time in the home
              > > shop.
              > >
              > > Ned

            • lists
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 16, 2012
                In article <k0i85l+9o1u@...>,
                nedtron <ned@...> wrote:
                > I use a tool plate and Mitee-Grip for very thin materials:

                > http://www.home-machine-shop.com/Brass_ToolPlate_Mitee-Grip/
                > <http://www.home-machine-shop.com/Brass_ToolPlate_Mitee-Grip/>

                Also seems to available in the UK which is good news.

                http://www.hillcliff-tools.com/en/catalog/workholding/light-duty-side-clamping/other-clamping-methods/cl0980

                £50 minimum order for a private order ex VAT is a bit of a bummer though,
                especially as any carriage charges aren't given

                --
                Stuart
                http://www.torrens.org.uk/ZFC/gallery/winsor.html
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 16, 2012
                  I have used hot melt sheet glue as used by the marquetry trade.

                  Check out http://www.originalmarquetry.co.uk/category_Glue_Film_and_Adhesives_1.htm

                  They supply it @ £5.95 sqMtr

                  I have used this to hold from 0.002" shim material to 10mm thick irregular shaped aluminium parts.

                  For thin material I used a domestic electric iron held upside down. Place an aluminium tooling plate on the iron, the sheet glue on the iron and the shim on top. Heat up the iron and watch for the glue to melt. You may need to apply a pressure plate om the shim to maintain flatness. Machine the shims as required. Heat up the tooling plate and remove the shims. Any adhesive remaining can be removed with acetone.