Re: X3 Z axis graduations

  • clumsysoftballerz
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 1, 2012
      Never really thought it was weird. A lot of machinery has redundancy to make sure you WANT it to turn on and start spinning at thousands of rpm with a sharp cutter out in the open. Would have beem cheaper, but "less safe" to just wire one switch I think.

      As for the hand wheel... instal a dro. Hand wheels are useless on chinese machines anyways. Even if you have the correct reading its still wrong anyways. Metric screw with even imperial dial = W R O N G. My 12x37 I just got reads .7" per revolution... finished installing cheap iGaging scales last week and found that .7" actually equals .71" of movement... would have been pretty annoying trying to do the math on that one.

      iGaging scales are cheap and more accurate than the X3 needs. repeatability is around .0005", accuracy around .001" if you take care and get then aligned with the axis correctly. for $100 + shipping its a no brainer for me to put then on any chinese machine I own. even my drill press is getting one when I'm done with the re-build.

      --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "dave22fair" <david@...> wrote:

      > The thing anout the green tape idea is that I would then have to do the same all around the micrometer dial for 10, 20 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 and 90! It would be quite a tight fit :-)
      >
      > As I am using this nice new machine, this and the strange switch sequence to start it are quirks I asm getting used to.
      >
      > By the way, can anyone explain what is the reasoning behind the strange switching to start up? (1.Direction Dial = forward, 2.Power Dial=On 3.Direction Dial =reverse and machine starts 4.Direction dial=forward)
      >
      > Dave
      >

      > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Castello <zootzoot@> wrote:
      > >
      > > On Mon, 14 May 2012 08:29:11 -0000, "dave22fair"
      > > <david@> had a flock of green cheek conures
      > > squawk out:
      > >
      > > >Hi folks,
      > > >Just in case my other posting was missed:
      > > >
      > > >I just checked the Z axis micrometer graduations against external measurment with a caliper and a DTI. In both cases I found that one Z-hand wheel turn (marked as 0.100"), the measurement taken externaly showed 0.050". I ordered a machine that was imperial with R8 so it differed from the standard Metric/MT3 of the supplier, so as a one off, I wondered if the Z leadscrew was wrong, but no, as far as I can see, it is 10 TPI with the bottom crown gear having ~48 teeth.
      > > >As far as I can see, one turn of the Z hand wheel causes two revolutions of the leadscrew.
      > > >
      > > >So, any suggestions before I contact the supplier?
      > > >
      > > >Dave
      > >
      > > Take a piece of tape, mark 0.050 on it and cover that 0.100. :-)
      > >
      > > --
      > >
      > > Stephen
      > >
      > > Movie fact:
      > > Kitchens don't have light switches. When entering a kitchen at night, you should open the fridge door and use that light instead.

    • Peter Roach
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 1, 2012
        Would Echo "Never thought it weird". One swith is the power, one the direction. The power needs to be on and stable, all be it milliseconds before the controller can drive. Manual gives sequence as direction to neutral/mid position, power on, then select direction.

        --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "clumsysoftballerz" <mypersonalemailaccount@...> wrote:

        > Never really thought it was weird. A lot of machinery has redundancy to make sure you WANT it to turn on and start spinning at thousands of rpm with a sharp cutter out in the open. Would have beem cheaper, but "less safe" to just wire one switch I think.
        >
        > As for the hand wheel... instal a dro. Hand wheels are useless on chinese machines anyways. Even if you have the correct reading its still wrong anyways. Metric screw with even imperial dial = W R O N G. My 12x37 I just got reads .7" per revolution... finished installing cheap iGaging scales last week and found that .7" actually equals .71" of movement... would have been pretty annoying trying to do the math on that one.
        >
        > iGaging scales are cheap and more accurate than the X3 needs. repeatability is around .0005", accuracy around .001" if you take care and get then aligned with the axis correctly. for $100 + shipping its a no brainer for me to put then on any chinese machine I own. even my drill press is getting one when I'm done with the re-build.
        >
        > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "dave22fair" <david@> wrote:
        > >
        > > The thing anout the green tape idea is that I would then have to do the same all around the micrometer dial for 10, 20 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 and 90! It would be quite a tight fit :-)
        > >
        > > As I am using this nice new machine, this and the strange switch sequence to start it are quirks I asm getting used to.
        > >
        > > By the way, can anyone explain what is the reasoning behind the strange switching to start up? (1.Direction Dial = forward, 2.Power Dial=On 3.Direction Dial =reverse and machine starts 4.Direction dial=forward)
        > >
        > > Dave
        > >

        > > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Castello <zootzoot@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > On Mon, 14 May 2012 08:29:11 -0000, "dave22fair"
        > > > <david@> had a flock of green cheek conures
        > > > squawk out:

        > > > Take a piece of tape, mark 0.050 on it and cover that 0.100. :-)
        > > >
        > > > --
        > > >
        > > > Stephen
        > > >
        > > > Movie fact:
        > > > Kitchens don't have light switches. When entering a kitchen at night, you should open the fridge door and use that light instead.

      • John
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 2, 2012
          The power switch is actually a No Volt release switch in disguise <g> and is there for safety reasons.
          When power is made two small wires on the circuit board latch and stay latched, If power is removed, ie power cut etc., and then power comes on again the motor will not start.
          You have to switch the power switch off then remake the contact to get the circuit board to relatch.

          Try it, switch on, start the motor, unplug , then replug back in and it will not restart until it;s switched off then on again.

          John S.

          --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Roach" <peterroach@...> wrote:

          > Would Echo "Never thought it weird". One swith is the power, one the direction. The power needs to be on and stable, all be it milliseconds before the controller can drive. Manual gives sequence as direction to neutral/mid position, power on, then select direction.
          >

          > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "clumsysoftballerz" <mypersonalemailaccount@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Never really thought it was weird. A lot of machinery has redundancy to make sure you WANT it to turn on and start spinning at thousands of rpm with a sharp cutter out in the open. Would have beem cheaper, but "less safe" to just wire one switch I think.
          > >
          > > As for the hand wheel... instal a dro. Hand wheels are useless on chinese machines anyways. Even if you have the correct reading its still wrong anyways. Metric screw with even imperial dial = W R O N G. My 12x37 I just got reads .7" per revolution... finished installing cheap iGaging scales last week and found that .7" actually equals .71" of movement... would have been pretty annoying trying to do the math on that one.
          > >
          > > iGaging scales are cheap and more accurate than the X3 needs. repeatability is around .0005", accuracy around .001" if you take care and get then aligned with the axis correctly. for $100 + shipping its a no brainer for me to put then on any chinese machine I own. even my drill press is getting one when I'm done with the re-build.
          > >
          > > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "dave22fair" <david@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > The thing anout the green tape idea is that I would then have to do the same all around the micrometer dial for 10, 20 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 and 90! It would be quite a tight fit :-)
          > > >
          > > > As I am using this nice new machine, this and the strange switch sequence to start it are quirks I asm getting used to.
          > > >
          > > > By the way, can anyone explain what is the reasoning behind the strange switching to start up? (1.Direction Dial = forward, 2.Power Dial=On 3.Direction Dial =reverse and machine starts 4.Direction dial=forward)
          > > >
          > > > Dave

        • dave22fair
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 2, 2012
            Thanks John

            But why do I first have to put the reverse switch in the opposite direction first before flipping the reverse switch in the requred directiom to get the machine started?

            Dave