Speed Control

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30 6:16 PM
      G'Day to all,

      This is a follow up on the speed control problem I had a few weeks back.

      The speed control knob and shaft came adrift while doing a milling operation. I found a suitable replacement from China and it has been installed. The spindle speed is so much better now. I would go as far to say that the spindle speed is more consistent and more controllable than before. Since I took delivery of the mill the spindle speed would be "mushy" and vary significantly. At times the motor would not start and other times it would just stop in mid-use.

      The reason I mention this is I had assumed the electronic controller board was faulty. If the control knob or pot had not physically fallen apart I was considering replacing the controller board. Perhaps others have similar problems and might consider replacing the pot before going through the expense of purchasing a new controller board.

      If there is anyone in the Melbourne area that needs a pot I have a spare. The chaps in China supplied 2 as a minimum order.

      Cheers,

      Andrew in Melbourne.
    • raycarlson100640
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2012
        Hi Andrew

        Thanks for posting this info. you may just have solved my problem. I have had problems with my X3 mill speed control since I bought it. It sometimes goes into fault and sometimes it just stops, even when running on no load. I've had everything stripped down and reassembled several times, from the motor to the PC board and every external wire rung through. It may run for 3 months it may run for 3 minutes. It's very depressing especially in the middle of a cut (sod's law says it will be the last cut as well)
        It crossed my mind during the last lot of stops a week ago that the pot could be a problem but I talked myself out of it as pots are usually very reliable.

        Another thing that's just occured to me is that my machine was running very fast on maximum, 3500rpm, and I adjusted the max pot to set it to 2000rpm and the pot ended up close to its minimum position which didn't look right.

        Thanks again for the post however I won't know if it's worked until I've had about six months trouble free running.

        kind regards

        RayC

        ps I live in London England so a pot is easy to source.

        --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <akayton1@...> wrote:

        > G'Day to all,
        >
        > This is a follow up on the speed control problem I had a few weeks back.
        >
        > The speed control knob and shaft came adrift while doing a milling operation. I found a suitable replacement from China and it has been installed. The spindle speed is so much better now. I would go as far to say that the spindle speed is more consistent and more controllable than before. Since I took delivery of the mill the spindle speed would be "mushy" and vary significantly. At times the motor would not start and other times it would just stop in mid-use.
        >
        > The reason I mention this is I had assumed the electronic controller board was faulty. If the control knob or pot had not physically fallen apart I was considering replacing the controller board. Perhaps others have similar problems and might consider replacing the pot before going through the expense of purchasing a new controller board.
        >
        > If there is anyone in the Melbourne area that needs a pot I have a spare. The chaps in China supplied 2 as a minimum order.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Andrew in Melbourne.

      • pc
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 2012
          RayC,

          I got my pot Ebay. It was cheaper to get a 2 pack than collect from my
          local electronics store.

          It is good to know the forum has helped another machinist. Perhaps this
          problem is more common and also affects the mini-lathes?

          Cheers,

          Andrew in Melbourne

          On Wed, 2012-05-02 at 20:04 +0000, raycarlson100640 wrote:
          > Hi Andrew
          >
          > Thanks for posting this info. you may just have solved my problem. I have had problems with my X3 mill speed control since I bought it. It sometimes goes into fault and sometimes it just stops, even when running on no load. I've had everything stripped down and reassembled several times, from the motor to the PC board and every external wire rung through. It may run for 3 months it may run for 3 minutes. It's very depressing especially in the middle of a cut (sod's law says it will be the last cut as well)
          > It crossed my mind during the last lot of stops a week ago that the pot could be a problem but I talked myself out of it as pots are usually very reliable.
          >
          > Another thing that's just occured to me is that my machine was running very fast on maximum, 3500rpm, and I adjusted the max pot to set it to 2000rpm and the pot ended up close to its minimum position which didn't look right.
          >
          > Thanks again for the post however I won't know if it's worked until I've had about six months trouble free running.
          >
          > kind regards
          >
          > RayC
          >
          > ps I live in London England so a pot is easy to source.
          >

          > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <akayton1@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > G'Day to all,
          > >
          > > This is a follow up on the speed control problem I had a few weeks back.
          > >
          > > The speed control knob and shaft came adrift while doing a milling operation. I found a suitable replacement from China and it has been installed. The spindle speed is so much better now. I would go as far to say that the spindle speed is more consistent and more controllable than before. Since I took delivery of the mill the spindle speed would be "mushy" and vary significantly. At times the motor would not start and other times it would just stop in mid-use.
          > >
          > > The reason I mention this is I had assumed the electronic controller board was faulty. If the control knob or pot had not physically fallen apart I was considering replacing the controller board. Perhaps others have similar problems and might consider replacing the pot before going through the expense of purchasing a new controller board.
          > >
          > > If there is anyone in the Melbourne area that needs a pot I have a spare. The chaps in China supplied 2 as a minimum order.
          > >
          > > Cheers,
          > >
          > > Andrew in Melbourne.

        • bobmillerwho
          Message 4 of 7 , May 2, 2012
            Hi RayC,

            Can you tell me what this "max pot" is. I measured my X3 spindle speed the other day at around 3,500 rpm with a cheap laser tacho I got from Hong Kong - since it was so high I thought it must be wrong. So is the top speed adjustable? Is it OK to run at 3,500 rpm?

            Cheers
            Bob

            --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "raycarlson100640" <ray-carlson@...> wrote:

            > Hi Andrew
            >
            > Thanks for posting this info. you may just have solved my problem. I have had problems with my X3 mill speed control since I bought it. It sometimes goes into fault and sometimes it just stops, even when running on no load. I've had everything stripped down and reassembled several times, from the motor to the PC board and every external wire rung through. It may run for 3 months it may run for 3 minutes. It's very depressing especially in the middle of a cut (sod's law says it will be the last cut as well)
            > It crossed my mind during the last lot of stops a week ago that the pot could be a problem but I talked myself out of it as pots are usually very reliable.
            >
            > Another thing that's just occured to me is that my machine was running very fast on maximum, 3500rpm, and I adjusted the max pot to set it to 2000rpm and the pot ended up close to its minimum position which didn't look right.
            >
            > Thanks again for the post however I won't know if it's worked until I've had about six months trouble free running.
            >
            > kind regards
            >
            > RayC
            >
            > ps I live in London England so a pot is easy to source.
            >

            > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <akayton1@> wrote:
            > >
            > > G'Day to all,
            > >
            > > This is a follow up on the speed control problem I had a few weeks back.
            > >
            > > The speed control knob and shaft came adrift while doing a milling operation. I found a suitable replacement from China and it has been installed. The spindle speed is so much better now. I would go as far to say that the spindle speed is more consistent and more controllable than before. Since I took delivery of the mill the spindle speed would be "mushy" and vary significantly. At times the motor would not start and other times it would just stop in mid-use.
            > >
            > > The reason I mention this is I had assumed the electronic controller board was faulty. If the control knob or pot had not physically fallen apart I was considering replacing the controller board. Perhaps others have similar problems and might consider replacing the pot before going through the expense of purchasing a new controller board.
            > >
            > > If there is anyone in the Melbourne area that needs a pot I have a spare. The chaps in China supplied 2 as a minimum order.
            > >
            > > Cheers,
            > >
            > > Andrew in Melbourne.

          • raycarlson100640
            Message 5 of 7 , May 7, 2012
              Hi Bob

              Yes,the Max pot is a square trim pot (10k) at the top left of the PCB and is marked R3 MAX. On my machine it was the only pot I could see which is not sealed. I did the same as you using a cheap laser tahco from Hong Kong (via eBay)and got the same result i.e. 3500rpm. Before I bought the tacho I lashed up one using a bike computer and a magnet held in the chuck of my Southbend 9" lathe and listed the speeds. When I got the laser tacho I was a bit dubious and tried it first on the lathe and got a set of readings almost the same as the bike computer lash up so I was happy that it worked ok ( I found that holding it close (3 - 4 inches) gave good stable readings. I did however wrap black tape around the chuck and stuck the reflective patch to that to avoid unwanted reflections.

              I don't know whether it's o.k. to run it at 3500 rpm but I thought that as it's only calibrated to 2000 rpm on high setting, it may cause an over current if on load at 3500.

              I got my information from Yahoo groups X3_small_mill. Have a look in the file section at X3 motor controller. A guy 'g8fub' has gone to a great deal of trouble tracing the PCB circuit and drawing it up. He's also put some notes with it. He doesn't guarantee it but it looks good to me.

              I hope this helps
              kind regards
              RayC

              --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "bobmillerwho" <bobmiller@...> wrote:

              > Hi RayC,
              >
              > Can you tell me what this "max pot" is. I measured my X3 spindle speed the other day at around 3,500 rpm with a cheap laser tacho I got from Hong Kong - since it was so high I thought it must be wrong. So is the top speed adjustable? Is it OK to run at 3,500 rpm?
              >
              > Cheers
              > Bob
              >

              > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "raycarlson100640" <ray-carlson@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Andrew
              > >
              > > Thanks for posting this info. you may just have solved my problem. I have had problems with my X3 mill speed control since I bought it. It sometimes goes into fault and sometimes it just stops, even when running on no load. I've had everything stripped down and reassembled several times, from the motor to the PC board and every external wire rung through. It may run for 3 months it may run for 3 minutes. It's very depressing especially in the middle of a cut (sod's law says it will be the last cut as well)
              > > It crossed my mind during the last lot of stops a week ago that the pot could be a problem but I talked myself out of it as pots are usually very reliable.
              > >
              > > Another thing that's just occured to me is that my machine was running very fast on maximum, 3500rpm, and I adjusted the max pot to set it to 2000rpm and the pot ended up close to its minimum position which didn't look right.
              > >
              > > Thanks again for the post however I won't know if it's worked until I've had about six months trouble free running.
              > >
              > > kind regards
              > >
              > > RayC
              > >
              > > ps I live in London England so a pot is easy to source.
              > >

              > > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <akayton1@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > G'Day to all,
              > > >
              > > > This is a follow up on the speed control problem I had a few weeks back.
              > > >
              > > > The speed control knob and shaft came adrift while doing a milling operation. I found a suitable replacement from China and it has been installed. The spindle speed is so much better now. I would go as far to say that the spindle speed is more consistent and more controllable than before. Since I took delivery of the mill the spindle speed would be "mushy" and vary significantly. At times the motor would not start and other times it would just stop in mid-use.
              > > >
              > > > The reason I mention this is I had assumed the electronic controller board was faulty. If the control knob or pot had not physically fallen apart I was considering replacing the controller board. Perhaps others have similar problems and might consider replacing the pot before going through the expense of purchasing a new controller board.
              > > >
              > > > If there is anyone in the Melbourne area that needs a pot I have a spare. The chaps in China supplied 2 as a minimum order.
              > > >
              > > > Cheers,
              > > >
              > > > Andrew in Melbourne.

            • clumsysoftballerz
              Message 6 of 7 , May 8, 2012
                I wouldn't recommend running the motor/board at 175% of the intended speed for long periods, but just FYI I have hundreds of hours running the X3 bearings at 4000+ rpm. I can run up to 5600 but above 4000 the spindle heats up being my liking. 4000 seems to be a sweet spot so thats what I run most of the time.

                http://www.imgur.com/eppDc.jpg

> [...]
                > > > It crossed my mind during the last lot of stops a week ago that the pot could be a problem but I talked myself out of it as pots are usually very reliable.
                > > >
                > > > Another thing that's just occured to me is that my machine was running very fast on maximum, 3500rpm, and I adjusted the max pot to set it to 2000rpm and the pot ended up close to its minimum position which didn't look right.
                > > >
                > > > Thanks again for the post however I won't know if it's worked until I've had about six months trouble free running.
                > > >
                > > > kind regards
                > > >
                > > > RayC
                > > >
                > > > ps I live in London England so a pot is easy to source.

              • bobmillerwho
                Message 7 of 7 , May 11, 2012
                  Thanks guys for the information.
                  Cheers