Gas spring upgrade?

  • keith
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 27 6:10 AM
      Hi,
      I have a older x3 that doesn't have a gas spring on it.
      Do you have a link or could you explain how to add a gas strut and or where could one be purchased?
      Thanks Keith s
    • ketanswali1
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 27 6:33 AM
        --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "keith" <keithspaniel@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I have a older x3 that doesn't have a gas spring on it.
        > Do you have a link or could you explain how to add a gas strut and or where could one be purchased?
        > Thanks Keith s

        Keith,

        The fact that it is an old X3 does not mean that the original product did not have a gas strut on it!.

        Depending on which supplier you purchased the X3 from determined if the machine had a gas strut on it, an adjustable guard or not, all of which cost extra money. If the seller did not want a gas strut on the X3, then he purchased it cheaper from SIEG. You the end user/buyer would not know any different.

        If you are in the U.S., ask Little Machine Shop. If you are in the U.K., look at the X3 prep guide on ARC's website, and also look in the spare parts section of ARC's website. You might have to make bits to attach it, not sure what though. Someone here who may have fitted a gas strut to their X3 might be able to advise.

        Ketan at ARC.
      • keith
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 27 5:39 PM
          Thanks Ketan,
          Found it at LMS
          Regards
          --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "ketanswali1" <ketan@...> wrote:

          > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "keith" <keithspaniel@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > > I have a older x3 that doesn't have a gas spring on it.
          > > Do you have a link or could you explain how to add a gas strut and or where could one be purchased?
          > > Thanks Keith s
          > >
          > Keith,
          >
          > The fact that it is an old X3 does not mean that the original product did not have a gas strut on it!.
          >
          > Depending on which supplier you purchased the X3 from determined if the machine had a gas strut on it, an adjustable guard or not, all of which cost extra money. If the seller did not want a gas strut on the X3, then he purchased it cheaper from SIEG. You the end user/buyer would not know any different.
          >
          > If you are in the U.S., ask Little Machine Shop. If you are in the U.K., look at the X3 prep guide on ARC's website, and also look in the spare parts section of ARC's website. You might have to make bits to attach it, not sure what though. Someone here who may have fitted a gas strut to their X3 might be able to advise.
          >
          > Ketan at ARC.

        • nedtron
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 27 8:33 PM

            Greetings Keith,

            If you are on the rebel side of the pond (US), McMaster-Carr has a vast selection of gas springs:

            http://www.mcmaster.com/#gas-springs/=hann42

            There are probably several ways to mount a gas spring strut.

            In the following photo, the gas spring was installed on my Grizzly G0619 (SX3) according to the Syil America instructions:

            http://www.home-machine-shop.com/SX3_Syil_Gas_Strut.jpg

            The gas spring is essentially installed upside down as this supposedly positions the gas spring's internal oil for a better seal and lubrication.

            The gas spring's 10mm rod is installed in a drilled / tapped 5/16-18 hole in the machine's cast base.

            The cylinder end of the gas spring is installed in a drilled / tapped 5/16-18 hole in the side of the mill head's dove tail slide assembly via a ball joint fitting that comes with the gas spring if the gas spring is ordered with ball joint fittings.

            Ned