X1 Z axis counterweight is not necessary

  • kreutz55
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 25 8:22 PM
      I know this is an old controversy. As per my own experience there is absolutely no need to counterweight the Z axis on the X1 micro-mill. Mine is direct driven by a 425 oz-in stepper and I can reach 100 ipm (moving up and down) on the Z axis using microstep (10 microsteps mode) using Mach3 and the original 16 tpi lead-screw and nut.

      Best regards,

      kreutz
    • chris
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 26 3:15 AM
        No Controversy..

        The counterweight isn't there to help the motor

        The counterweight is to take up backlash in the leadscrew..

        The weight of the head should be over compensated for

        The last thing you want is backlash when moving down to take a cut..

        The counterweight means the backlash is when withdrawing from a cut, much more civilised..

        Chris

        --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "kreutz55" <kreutz55@...> wrote:

        > I know this is an old controversy. As per my own experience there is absolutely no need to counterweight the Z axis on the X1 micro-mill. Mine is direct driven by a 425 oz-in stepper and I can reach 100 ipm (moving up and down) on the Z axis using microstep (10 microsteps mode) using Mach3 and the original 16 tpi lead-screw and nut.
        >
        > Best regards,
        >
        > kreutz

      • kreutz55
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 30 8:24 PM
          Thanks a lot for your response, it makes sense.

          Best regards,

          kreutz