Re: New X3

  • dave22fair10
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 16 11:13 PM
      Hi again Les,

      What you suggested is a good fallback and yes, I agree with you about the factory paint having a residual bond on the cap. I went in the workshop briefly this morning with a fresh mind, twisted the cap again by hand and it came off. I should know from experience that a night's sleep can change the problem!

      Thanks

      Dave

      --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "Les" <g8fub@...> wrote:

      > Hi Dave,
      > The cap on my x3 just pulls off by hand. Maybe yours was fitted before the paint was dry. I suggest removing the top cover (Just 4 alan screws) then then tap the cap out with a suitable piece of wood from the underside of the cover.
      > Les.
      >
      > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "dave22fair10" <dave22fair10@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Hi Les,
      > >
      > > Thanks for the pictures. A bit of a pedestrian question, but how does the cap over the drawbar on top of the headstock come off? I have tried twisting it and pulling it off by hand with no luck. I was going to use Mole grips but that would probably break the cap and I don't want to lever it off with a knife or screwdriver as it will scratch the paint.
      > >
      > > Dave
      > >

      > > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "Les" <g8fub@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Dave,
      > > > I have put the pictures in the Photo section under "Dismantling head on X3 mill"

    • hcanders66
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 18 8:12 PM
        Hey Dave,
        In case you haven't seen this it's a great help for preparing the X3.
        http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/projects/prepguides/X3%20Mill%20Preparation%20Guide.pdf
        Hans

        --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "dave22fair10" <dave22fair10@...> wrote:

        > Hi again Les,
        >
        > What you suggested is a good fallback and yes, I agree with you about the factory paint having a residual bond on the cap. I went in the workshop briefly this morning with a fresh mind, twisted the cap again by hand and it came off. I should know from experience that a night's sleep can change the problem!
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Dave
        >
        > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "Les" <g8fub@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Dave,
        > > The cap on my x3 just pulls off by hand. Maybe yours was fitted before the paint was dry. I suggest removing the top cover (Just 4 alan screws) then then tap the cap out with a suitable piece of wood from the underside of the cover.
        > > Les.
        > >
        > > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "dave22fair10" <dave22fair10@> wrote:
        > > >

        > > > Hi Les,
        > > >
        > > > Thanks for the pictures. A bit of a pedestrian question, but how does the cap over the drawbar on top of the headstock come off? I have tried twisting it and pulling it off by hand with no luck. I was going to use Mole grips but that would probably break the cap and I don't want to lever it off with a knife or screwdriver as it will scratch the paint.
        > > >
        > > > Dave

      • clumsysoftballerz
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 19 11:18 AM
          I have a bunch of videos I need to upload, but here is my 5600rpm spindle mod

          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGo6bhqrUT0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

          And an $8 Z power feed

          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozReKtixJcU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

          if those, links get broken by yahoo just search you tube for "priddyshiddy"

          --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "hcanders66" <hcanders66@...> wrote:

          > Hey Dave,
          > In case you haven't seen this it's a great help for preparing the X3.
          > http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/projects/prepguides/X3%20Mill%20Preparation%20Guide.pdf
          > Hans
          >
          > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "dave22fair10" <dave22fair10@> wrote:
          > >

          > > Hi again Les,
          > >
          > > What you suggested is a good fallback and yes, I agree with you about the factory paint having a residual bond on the cap. I went in the workshop briefly this morning with a fresh mind, twisted the cap again by hand and it came off. I should know from experience that a night's sleep can change the problem!
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >
          > > Dave
          > >
          > > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "Les" <g8fub@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hi Dave,
          > > > The cap on my x3 just pulls off by hand. Maybe yours was fitted before the paint was dry. I suggest removing the top cover (Just 4 alan screws) then then tap the cap out with a suitable piece of wood from the underside of the cover.

        • David Hawker
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 25 10:28 AM

            Hi Guys,

            There is also a complete X3 strip and rebuild article on the www.arceurotrade.co.uk website that may also be helpful