Re: New X3

  • Les
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 16 3:02 PM
      Hi Dave,
      The cap on my x3 just pulls off by hand. Maybe yours was fitted before the paint was dry. I suggest removing the top cover (Just 4 alan screws) then then tap the cap out with a suitable piece of wood from the underside of the cover.
      Les.

      --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "dave22fair10" <dave22fair10@...> wrote:

      > Hi Les,
      >
      > Thanks for the pictures. A bit of a pedestrian question, but how does the cap over the drawbar on top of the headstock come off? I have tried twisting it and pulling it off by hand with no luck. I was going to use Mole grips but that would probably break the cap and I don't want to lever it off with a knife or screwdriver as it will scratch the paint.
      >
      > Dave
      >

      > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "Les" <g8fub@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Dave,
      > > I have put the pictures in the Photo section under "Dismantling head on X3 mill"
      > >
      > > Les.
      > >
      > > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "dave22fair10" <dave22fair10@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Les,
      > > >
      > > > Thanks for confirming my thoughts. If you want to post your pictures that may be helpful. I haven't had to clean with parafin as the transport grease is only a light clear compound that wipes off easily with paper tissues.
      > > >
      > > > Dave

    • dave22fair10
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 16 11:13 PM
        Hi again Les,

        What you suggested is a good fallback and yes, I agree with you about the factory paint having a residual bond on the cap. I went in the workshop briefly this morning with a fresh mind, twisted the cap again by hand and it came off. I should know from experience that a night's sleep can change the problem!

        Thanks

        Dave

        --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "Les" <g8fub@...> wrote:

        > Hi Dave,
        > The cap on my x3 just pulls off by hand. Maybe yours was fitted before the paint was dry. I suggest removing the top cover (Just 4 alan screws) then then tap the cap out with a suitable piece of wood from the underside of the cover.
        > Les.
        >
        > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "dave22fair10" <dave22fair10@> wrote:
        > >

        > > Hi Les,
        > >
        > > Thanks for the pictures. A bit of a pedestrian question, but how does the cap over the drawbar on top of the headstock come off? I have tried twisting it and pulling it off by hand with no luck. I was going to use Mole grips but that would probably break the cap and I don't want to lever it off with a knife or screwdriver as it will scratch the paint.
        > >
        > > Dave
        > >

        > > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "Les" <g8fub@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi Dave,
        > > > I have put the pictures in the Photo section under "Dismantling head on X3 mill"

      • hcanders66
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 18 8:12 PM
          Hey Dave,
          In case you haven't seen this it's a great help for preparing the X3.
          http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/projects/prepguides/X3%20Mill%20Preparation%20Guide.pdf
          Hans

          --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "dave22fair10" <dave22fair10@...> wrote:

          > Hi again Les,
          >
          > What you suggested is a good fallback and yes, I agree with you about the factory paint having a residual bond on the cap. I went in the workshop briefly this morning with a fresh mind, twisted the cap again by hand and it came off. I should know from experience that a night's sleep can change the problem!
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Dave
          >
          > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "Les" <g8fub@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Dave,
          > > The cap on my x3 just pulls off by hand. Maybe yours was fitted before the paint was dry. I suggest removing the top cover (Just 4 alan screws) then then tap the cap out with a suitable piece of wood from the underside of the cover.
          > > Les.
          > >
          > > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "dave22fair10" <dave22fair10@> wrote:
          > > >

          > > > Hi Les,
          > > >
          > > > Thanks for the pictures. A bit of a pedestrian question, but how does the cap over the drawbar on top of the headstock come off? I have tried twisting it and pulling it off by hand with no luck. I was going to use Mole grips but that would probably break the cap and I don't want to lever it off with a knife or screwdriver as it will scratch the paint.
          > > >
          > > > Dave

        • clumsysoftballerz
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 19 11:18 AM
            I have a bunch of videos I need to upload, but here is my 5600rpm spindle mod

            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGo6bhqrUT0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

            And an $8 Z power feed

            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozReKtixJcU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

            if those, links get broken by yahoo just search you tube for "priddyshiddy"

            --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "hcanders66" <hcanders66@...> wrote:

            > Hey Dave,
            > In case you haven't seen this it's a great help for preparing the X3.
            > http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/projects/prepguides/X3%20Mill%20Preparation%20Guide.pdf
            > Hans
            >
            > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "dave22fair10" <dave22fair10@> wrote:
            > >

            > > Hi again Les,
            > >
            > > What you suggested is a good fallback and yes, I agree with you about the factory paint having a residual bond on the cap. I went in the workshop briefly this morning with a fresh mind, twisted the cap again by hand and it came off. I should know from experience that a night's sleep can change the problem!
            > >
            > > Thanks
            > >
            > > Dave
            > >
            > > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "Les" <g8fub@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi Dave,
            > > > The cap on my x3 just pulls off by hand. Maybe yours was fitted before the paint was dry. I suggest removing the top cover (Just 4 alan screws) then then tap the cap out with a suitable piece of wood from the underside of the cover.

          • David Hawker
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 25 10:28 AM

              Hi Guys,

              There is also a complete X3 strip and rebuild article on the www.arceurotrade.co.uk website that may also be helpful