Re: HF Tool chest as SX3L or SC6 base?

  • nedtron
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 13, 2011

      Greetings,

      "I will be able to control the spindle with mach 3 which can't be done on the sx3"

       My Grizzly G0619 (Sieg Sx3) has spindle speed control under Mach3 via a Syil spindle speed control circuit board that connects in between the SX3 control panel circuit board and the SX3 main control circuit board.

      My Grizzly G0619 (Sieg Sx3) has the original SX3 motor and the original SX3 motor controller.

      Under Mach3 control, a string of pulses are sent to the SX3 main control circuit board that result in a string of audible beeps as the spindle speed either increases or decreases.

      The spindle rotation is also started or stopped under Mach3 control.

      http://www.home-machine-shop.com/SX3_Mach3_Motor_Control/SX3_Mach3_Motor_Control-Desktop.m4v

      http://www.home-machine-shop.com/Spindle_Control_Power_Supply/

      Ned

      --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "clumsysoftballerz" <mypersonalemailaccount@...> wrote:

      > mine is an x3, no "super". I debated long and hard between the X3 and the SX3 but since I knew I would cnc it I went x3. it came out $500 cheaper and I will be able to control the spindle with mach 3 which can't be done on the sx3 with out spending another couple hundred dollars for a different motor and controller. the only other difference is motor placement but there is plenty of room on the X3 to mount a high speed spindle for engraving which I'm planning as well.
      >
      > the X3 w/ counterweight isn't going on the tool box. it has leveling casters on the way to make its table mobile and more stable. the counterweight won't be used so I can move it, so I have a gas strut coming with my cncfusion kit.
      >
      > eventually my lathe (that I don't own yet) may go on one of these boxes. after getting everything set up yesterday I love the tool chest so much I may get a second one for the lathe.
      >
      > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "nedtron" ned@ wrote:
      > >

      > > Greetings,
      > >
      > > Your build thread has a photo of your SX3 with an overhead mounted
      > > counter weight.
      > >
      > > Is this the machine that you are planning for a mobile stand?
      > >
      > > Ned

    • clumsysoftballerz
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 13, 2011
        first off, NICE WEBSITE!

        very cool stuff and I haven't gotten through it all yet.

        When did you do that spindle conversion? The guys on CNC ZONE were still stumped even I ordered my mill last year and I had never heard of this set up befor your post. very cool. are the pulses controlled via normal S-word g code? does the controller just remember the last strong and send the required pulses to make the adjustment?

        if I were staying manual I would have gone with the SX3, but all things equal we end up with theoretically the same capabilities at a lower cost using the X3 platform vs SX3 when looking only at CNC. the motor location is a plus though on the SX3, but I'm running 60ipm Z rapids with no problems as is.

        I did end up hooking my counterweight back up as I didn't like the decreased travel and saw some deflection from having the gas spring only on one side.

        I'm under the impression that santa has his elves working on a waterproof, shock proof HD camera for me right now ;) I shot a few videos for youtube, but hated the quality of the videos. (youtube is "PriddyShiddy")

        Planning on filming a lot more projects and parts being cut and then going back and showing my mods like 5600rpm spindle and others.

        cheers man! awesome web site and nice machine!

      • clumsysoftballerz
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 13, 2011
          first off, NICE WEBSITE!

> [...]

          > is motor placement but there is plenty of room on the X3 to mount a high
          > speed spindle for engraving which I'm planning as well.
          > >
          > > the X3 w/ counterweight isn't going on the tool box. it has leveling
          > casters on the way to make its table mobile and more stable. the
          > counterweight won't be used so I can move it, so I have a gas strut
          > coming with my cncfusion kit.
          > >
          > > eventually my lathe (that I don't own yet) may go on one of these
          > boxes. after getting everything set up yesterday I love the tool chest
          > so much I may get a second one for the lathe.
          > >
          > > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "nedtron" ned@ wrote:
          > > >

          > > > Greetings,
          > > >
          > > > Your build thread has a photo of your SX3 with an overhead mounted
          > > > counter weight.
          > > >
          > > > Is this the machine that you are planning for a mobile stand?

        • nedtron
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 13, 2011

            Greetings,

            I converted the Grizzly G0619 (Sieg SX3) mill to CNC along with the Syil spindle control in 2007.

            Syil no longer sells the spindle control and it was rumored that there were compatibility problems with the various versions of the SX3 control board.

            However, some of the documentation regarding the spindle control is still available:

            http://www.syil.com/product_docs/Accessories/X3SpindleControl.pdf

            http://www.syil.com/product_docs/HowTo/BlackMagicGCode.pdf

            The SX3 has a coarse quill feed and a fine quill feed accompanied by a quill DRO with 1/2 thousandth resolution.

            The fine quill feed and the DRO are very convenient for setting the tool height in 1/2 thousandth increments prior to CNC machining.

            A video clip of the fine quill feed:

            http://www.home-machine-shop.com/SX3_Quill_Feed/SX3_Quill_Feed-Desktop.m4v

            The Sx3 mill head may rotate 90 degrees positioning the mill spindle horizontal and enabling interesting manual and CNC machining capabilities:

            http://www.home-machine-shop.com/UKULELE/pages/UKULELE_HORIZ_DRILL_BODY.html

            http://www.home-machine-shop.com/UKULELE/pages/UKULELE_HORIZ_DRILL_NECK.html

            Unfortunately, after 4 years of faithful operation, my SX3 spindle motor refused to start last weekend without any prior symptoms.

            An examination of the motor revealed that the B phase encoder is not pulling low and is transitioning from 5 volts to 4 volts instead of from 5 volts to near 0 volts.

            The motor windings appear to be fine.

            I really would hate to replace the $369 motor because of an encoder sensor and I will explore the possibility of replacing just the encoder sensor.

          • nedtron
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 13, 2011

              Greetings,

              This diagram shows my SX3 motor encoder voltages for one revolution of the motor shaft (24 detents):

              http://www.home-machine-shop.com/SX3_DC_Motor_Encoder_Voltages.pdf

              The red plot shows the phase B encoder has failed as it no longer pulls the control board input down to near 0 volts.

              Ned