Re: cant a drill chuck be used for milling

  • alex4459jopiklal44
    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 20, 2011
      thanks to all for tips and ideas ..
      I got a 6 mm endmill that I could mount in the biggest collet
      that is included with the proxxon and then tryed again .
      this time I could actually do milling in mild steel and the endmill
      did not dig into the work.
      I came to this after reading all your replies,so thanks again for good advice.
      I now have to consider if I have so little work that the proxxon is enough.. but its tempting to think of a xmas gift like a minimill..after all it is more stable and must be much better and :)

      from all the tips and replies , I understand that I could just buy the R8 (or .if its the x1 ,then MT2 )-tool collets to take the most used mills ,and would not need anything more .this would be the simple solution.
      alex
    • lists
      Message 2 of 30 , Nov 1, 2011
        In article <j7q3h9+r5as@...>,
        alex4459jopiklal44 <christiansen_alex@...> wrote:
        > from all the tips and replies , I understand that I could just buy the
        > R8 (or .if its the x1 ,then MT2 )-tool collets to take the most used
        > mills ,and would not need anything more .this would be the simple
        > solution. alex

        Yes, see:

        http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Cutting-Tools/Milling-Cutters/HSS-End-Mills

        For example.

        Within a range of sizes you will see that these Weldon shank cutters all
        have the same shank size. So your 6mmm collet would hold mills from 3-6mm

        --
        Stuart
        http://www.torrens.org.uk/ZFC/gallery/winsor.html
        Message 3 of 30 , Nov 1, 2011
          On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 10:44:51 +0100, you wrote:

          >In article <j7q3h9+r5as@...>,
          > alex4459jopiklal44 <christiansen_alex@...> wrote:
          >> from all the tips and replies , I understand that I could just buy the
          >> R8 (or .if its the x1 ,then MT2 )-tool collets to take the most used
          >> mills ,and would not need anything more .this would be the simple
          >> solution. alex
          >
          >Yes, see:
          >
          >http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Cutting-Tools/Milling-Cutters/HSS-End-Mills
          >
          >For example.
          >
          >Within a range of sizes you will see that these Weldon shank cutters all
          >have the same shank size. So your 6mmm collet would hold mills from 3-6mm

          Better range than that easily available. Sussex tools stock 6mm Weldon
          shank cutters in 15 different sizes in the 1 to 6mm range. If I shop
          about I can get any size from .25 to 6mm at around £3.00 - £5.00 each.
          Unusual sizes are more expensive though.

          Steve Blackmore
          --
        • lists
          Message 4 of 30 , Nov 2, 2011
            In article <v031b7lffmpofu2jf70sj4782mdcc2bm19@...>,
            Steve Blackmore <steve@...> wrote:
            > Better range than that easily available. Sussex tools

            I presume this is:

            http://www.sussextools.co.uk/

            Website noted