Workbench work envelope size for X3 mini-mill

  • wa6tkq
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2007
      What is a good work envelope size for a X3 mini-mill on my workbench?

      Here's the layout: wife has workbench (she calls it storage) from left
      edge of garage to the middle. At that point I'm building a 15'
      workbench that starts in the middle of the garage and runs to the right.

      X3/SX3 Mill would sit at that left end of my 15 workbench. There is no
      real encumberance to the left for anything long as I could move one of
      my wife's boxes for a bit. There will be a G4003 12x36 lathe
      "immediately to the right" of the X3/SX3. And then I will have 6-7' of
      open workspace to the right wall of the garage. I would prefer not to
      lose much of that 6-7' as it's my multi use space for building "stuff"

      I was thinking about allocating about 36" for the SX3 and then placing
      the 12x36 lathe for it's 54" of room or so. So the right side of the
      X3 would be encumbered at some point by the left edge of the lathe.

      Is that a decent space allocation? 3/5/7 or would I want/need more
      room than that 36" envelope?

      regards, Mike
    • cba_melbourne
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2007
        Mike, I understand it is a long bench. Why not just temporarily place
        your machines, use them for a few weeks, and only THEN decide where you
        want to bolt them down?

        Better than waste time now thinking of how you will likely work with
        your machine..... just to determine where would PROBABLY be the best
        place....

        Believe me, USE your mill and lathe, and that will TELL you where you
        want them. Chris