Re: Spindle bearing

  • Roger E. Huegel
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1 5:42 AM

      Is it possible that you tapped thru the head for your bolts and one or more of the bolts is too long and very close to the spindle (or pulley/gears)? Maybe it takes an hour for everything to heat up enough to expand for the bolt(s) to make contact?

      Roger

    • clumsysoftballerz
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1 6:57 AM
        scary! I an over-simplifying this I'm sure, but if the problem wasn't there before I think you might be right. I have always felt like mine is not very smooth when turned by hand but figured I would wait till it acts up and change the bearings since thats the one section I didn't dismantle when cleaning her up.

        good news is if it is damaged it is very likely ONLY the bearing. radial pressure can bend the outer race easily, but most likely nothing else was damaged unless you managed to distort the outer spindle housing.

        --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "ntrvnx" <jim216@...> wrote:

        > Hi all, I made and installed a depth stop for my X3,( I know it only took me a year) the quill clamp is the usual split type and tightened with one 1/4-20 bolt, it's made out of 1/2" (13MM) cold rolled steel, I took my time and bored it out to a tight fit. Now after I've been running the mill for an hour or so I hear a clicking sound and I can feel it in the quill feed handle, when I turn the spindle by hand there is a tight spot, the bearing doesn't feel hot , after its been off for 10 or 15 minutes the spindle turns smoothy. Could I have over tightened the clamp?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Jim

      • ntrvnx
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1 7:55 AM
          Yep, it's usually the last thing you did. I'm thinking that the bearing surface of the clamp is too narrow, I might have to make it thicker. I tried to minimize the number of mounting holes and I kept them at the edge of the casting. I added a couple of pics of the clamp to Jim's X3 mods.
          Thanks for the responses.
          Jim