Re: What size rotary table for X3

  • turboglenn0057
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 3, 2011
      COngrats on the wedding (unfortuntalely i've "been there done that' with grim results LOL ) Anyway, about rotary tables. I agree the biggest you can fit reasonably anyway. I have an X3/G0463 with a yausa style 8'' RoTab and it's HUGE on there but works perfectly in the horizontal position, it required some modification to mount vertically, but it can be done. I got the 8" for a steel honestly or i may have gone with the 6" which i think would be a better option as far as "fit" is concerned on the X3 (i just paid shipping US priority flat rate and the table was given to me :D it weighs in at 60 lbs) But in comparison to my old HF 4" rotab, this thing is a DREAM to use, so smooth, backlash can be taken completely out, and the weight makes it super stable when milling any material attached to it. ( I just need to order the replacement dividing heads and tailstock for it and i'll be set..but ultimately if i can trade/sell this one off, i'd probably still prefer the 6" unit to give me more flexibility in operations and how i position the RoTab)

      THis is my first post on here, but i have an addiction to rotary tables :D..long time browser though, i'm glad this place is here, would love to see it as a "forum" type setup...sorry to stray OT

      Glenn

      --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "clumsysoftballerz" <mypersonalemailaccount@...> wrote:

      > about to go cardboard cutting in a few- good idea.
      >
      > Im in the usa and have an r8 spindle. I have seen some neat ideas where people will get a quick change tool holder (I'm not familiar with these at all yet) and leave a dowell in it. then they drop it in the rotary and line up a similar collet in the quill and wham! centered. seems pretty strait forward.
      >
      > the better half has put a hold on purchases for tools as our wedding is in 60 days... after showing her the vertex and prices I will get after the wedding she was very happy to have me order that $70 4" shop fox clone from ebay last night that has been on topic over on griz/hf group.
      >
      > for now I only need to make arcs so I will play with that one and get the vertex after the wedding. probably after the power feed too.
      >
      > I think thtablee 8" is close to 100lb... so I could definitely lift it. its setting it down gently on the table that will be hard :)
      >
      > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "johann_ohnesorg" <bigdukeone@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hy,
      > > I use a 6" Vertex on my X2, it fits and won´t steal me axis travel because it won´t touch the z-axis (just by a hair but it doesn´t). If I could fit a 8" on my imaginary X3 I would use an 8" table.
      > > My advice towards rotarys: As big as possible but in a weight class so you can still lift them. It´s pretty annoying if you find out that you don´t have enough table space for both part and hold downs.
      > >
      > > Concerning Vertex: great quality out of the box. I´ve seen both 6" and 8" with my own eyes, the 8" seems to be a little rougher concerning finish. My 6" was well in spec, I was impressed by the finish and the quality for the money payed.
      > > If you have the measurements, make a cardboard template and throw it on the table to see where you would end up.
      > > Another topic, what spindle taper do you have in the X3? The 8" table has a MT3 taper, you could use your collet chuck in spindle and rotary.
      > >
      > > If you´re in the UK keep an eye on RDG and Chronos close to Easter, they will have special offers that knock off a lot from the price and offers for the accessoires (tail stock, dividing plates) that will tempt you because you can´t make them cheaper on your own.
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > > Johann

    • clumsysoftballerz
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 4, 2011
        thanks for the input and welcome! im new here too and really only wish there were as much activity here as over on the hf/griz mini mill group :(

        I was looking into the 4 jaw chucks (because of the other group) and was AMAZED that a 4 jaw independent chuck with pre drilled thorough holes are only $100 from griz for a 10"!!! I have the 4" rotab on the way and i think I will get a 6" 4 jaw for it then when it comes time I will get the 8" vertex our phase 2 and a 10" 4 jaw that way small stuff can go on the small table. at 60lb plus chuck I can see why the big ones collect more dust but the more I read on other sites about how "small" a 10" is and see 60 year old guys saying they move the 10" themselves the more I think I should go big AND small.

        what kind of modifications were required for vertical? cut new slots to like up with the table tracks?

        --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "turboglenn0057" <turboglenn0057@...> wrote:

        > COngrats on the wedding (unfortuntalely i've "been there done that' with grim results LOL ) Anyway, about rotary tables. I agree the biggest you can fit reasonably anyway. I have an X3/G0463 with a yausa style 8'' RoTab and it's HUGE on there but works perfectly in the horizontal position, it required some modification to mount vertically, but it can be done. I got the 8" for a steel honestly or i may have gone with the 6" which i think would be a better option as far as "fit" is concerned on the X3 (i just paid shipping US priority flat rate and the table was given to me :D it weighs in at 60 lbs) But in comparison to my old HF 4" rotab, this thing is a DREAM to use, so smooth, backlash can be taken completely out, and the weight makes it super stable when milling any material attached to it. ( I just need to order the replacement dividing heads and tailstock for it and i'll be set..but ultimately if i can trade/sell this one off, i'd probably still prefer the 6" unit to give me more flexibility in operations and how i position the RoTab)
        >
        > THis is my first post on here, but i have an addiction to rotary tables :D..long time browser though, i'm glad this place is here, would love to see it as a "forum" type setup...sorry to stray OT
        >
        > Glenn
      • turboglenn0057
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 7, 2011
          Yea, I had to clamp the thing by the single mount on the "top" and bring the mounting slots "inwards" by about 1.5" each, milling that iron with such a flimsy mounting area compared to the weight was a real sweat breaker. Also the little blocks to align it in the T-slots were too wide (meant for a bridgeport) so i had to mill new ones out of some A2 tool steel. All in all i think it would be better to take a slab of 6061 AL 3/4" thick and just make a vertical adapter.

          I"m not aware of the HF/grizz yahoo group, (guess i got one to look for now :p )

          I too was amazed at how cheap you can get a large 4 jaw chuck and found them to be available even cheaper than that at ENCO but their website bugs me LOL and grizzly is only 5 hours away from me (the MO warehouse) so anything i order is here faster than i expect which is always nice :D

          I just got my g0463 a tad over a month ago and i'm loving it, and being taht i'm now dissabled but haven't been awarded a check yet, making parts is my only living now that i can't do construction anymore, so i'm really hoping to do a CNC conversion on the x3/G0463 really soon, but there's good and bad points about it that i'm still weighin in my mind (like having to program for simple operations that would take less time to just manually cut) but i've also got a lot to learn about CNC. metal working and machining has been the biggest passion in my life since metal shop in high school almost 20 years ago, and still to this day, no matter how much pain i'm in i'll hobble out there and mill/turn parts as long as i can stand it