X1L Z-DRO

  • andy@0acs0.co.uk
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2011
      Hi All

      Im thinking of fitting DRO,s Firstly to the Z axis which we all know is only 30mm. Iv got one of those Digital depth gauges shown here.

      Iv stripped the DRO down and have done a little work and got the distance reading upto 28mm I may even be able to get it up to over 30mm if i try some more. But there is no use as its max movement is 30mm. Iv not fitted it to the X axis thats the next job. Also you will see that the readout is on its side but even though i paid under £7 delivered it has a external display port for later if need be.

      Anyone used one of these as a DRO on the Z axis. Any comments or thoughts?

      Regs Andy

      P.S. Iv also ordered a cheap 6" and 12" Digital vernier Because it was simple to alter one and make it into a digital hight gauge So i thought it should be easy enough to adapt them to the X and Y axis as DROs on there at a cheap price again any suggestions or comments.
    • Ian Phillips
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2011
        I used a long travel (30mm) DTI on my X1 for the quill, and I actually think I prefer it to the modified digital callipers I used on the X and Y. They suffer too much from swarf but its worth putting up with just having the ability to reset to zero quickly.

        I will post a picture showing how I mounted the calipers as soon as I get a chance.

        BTW, who is the supplier of the £7 depth gauge? an do they supply the 'cheap' 12" calipers?

        Ian

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2011
          Hi Ian

          The selers Name was "roachpumpsltd" from a well know site it cost £6.40 and free postage And only took two days to get here. As for the 12" i have only come across quite expensive ones compared to the 6" digital calipers which i can get for under £6 Also have been looking at other ideas for them but not come up with any as yet, Still looking Have seen a cheap hight gauge which might work???

          Regs Andy

          --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Phillips" <ian@...> wrote:

          > I used a long travel (30mm) DTI on my X1 for the quill, and I actually think
          > I prefer it to the modified digital callipers I used on the X and Y. They
          > suffer too much from swarf but its worth putting up with just having the
          > ability to reset to zero quickly.
          >
          > I will post a picture showing how I mounted the calipers as soon as I get a
          > chance.
          >
          > BTW, who is the supplier of the £7 depth gauge? an do they supply the
          > 'cheap' 12" calipers?
          >

          > Ian
        • Les
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2011
            Hi Andy,
            If you look at the photo's section of the Shumatech forum you will find examples of how people have mounted scales and modified calipers on various machines. Here is the URL
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ShumaTech/
            Les.