How to fix a big vice to a small table

  • gmichalop75
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 20, 2010
      When I got my X1L mill and was looking for a vice I thought it was a good idea to go for one that's not too small. So I ignored the recommended 50mm quick vice and went for the 100mm one. One small detail I didn't quite realise was that the 100mm one is meant to be for the X2 and comes with M8 bolts that need bigger T-nuts than what the X1L will take.
      Trying to use M6 bolts instead was a big disappointment as these are not big enough to keep the vice stable. The bolt heads are smaller than the vice fixing holes and you rely on the washers to keep the downward pressure. If you torque the bolts down the washers start to buckle and the vice is not stable enough.
      So I found a simple solution: You can turn two sleeves on your lathe, 8mm outer diameter, 6mm inner, 14mm long. They fit just right in the table slots and prevent the bolts from moving sideways. They also support the washers from below so they don't buckle.
      Overall this arrangement works very well and the vice is now stable and usable.
      Thought this tip might come in handy to other novices out there.

      George
    • lists
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 20, 2010
        In article <i24oqb+uhm2@...>,
        gmichalop75 <gmichalop@...> wrote:
        > When I got my X1L mill and was looking for a vice I thought it was a
        > good idea to go for one that's not too small. So I ignored the
        > recommended 50mm quick vice and went for the 100mm one. One small detail
        > I didn't quite realise was that the 100mm one is meant to be for the X2
        > and comes with M8 bolts that need bigger T-nuts than what the X1L will
        > take.

        My solution to the same problem <grin> (I bought a 75mm tilting,
        swivelling, vice) was to turn two bushes which fit in the vice mounting
        slots.

        The top is 20mm diam and 3mm thick, the lower part 12.7mm diam and 9mm
        long, drilled through M6 clearance. They resemble an inverted top-hat.

        --
        Stuart
        http://www.torrens.org.uk/ZFC/gallery/winsor.html