Mobile Vactra way oil?

  • dfaprinting
    Message 1 of 53 , May 8, 2010
      Enco has some stuff on sale and I need a proper way oil for my X1, I was wondering whether I should get the #2, #3, or #4 way oil. Number 2 being the lightest at SAE20 weight and #4 at SAE50 weight.
    • Steve Blackmore
      Message 53 of 53 , May 14, 2010
        On Fri, 14 May 2010 17:08:56 +0800, you wrote:

        >hallo Ned
        >glad you mentioned about vactra oil not suited for small machines , with some of these chines lathes they tend to fit rubber / neoprene wipers in my opinion not a good idea that's my thoughts anyway , one travel of the carriage the wipes have removed the oil , with felt wipes they become charged and carry the oile with the carriage and lubricate as it slides up and down the way

        Rubber wipers "should" do as they say, they are there to wipe swarf and
        particles off the ways and stop them entering the slideways. Felt
        "wipers" are probably better named as oilers. They are not very
        effective at stopping small particles entering the ways, but they do
        soak oil up and apply it to the ways as they move.

        Sieg KC6 lathes have felt "oilers" on the ways. They are pretty much
        useless at stopping swarf entering the ways, but they do smear a layer
        of oil around.

        Neither rubber or felt "wipers" can effectively remove the oil film from
        the sliding surfaces, but it doesn't have to be dripping in oil to be
        lubricated sufficiently.

        The only way to prevent particles entering the sliding surfaces are
        covered ways.

        Rust preventers are seldom good lubricants, and vice versa!

        Vactra is popular with home machinists simply because it's cheap and
        readily available.

        Most home machinists will think nothing of spending hard earned cash on
        a machine or accessories, but then baulk at paying for consumables like
        quality lubricants and tools.

        Steve Blackmore