Rotary tables

  • eddie.price91
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2010
      I have the equivalent of the ArcEuroTrade X1 mill and am thinking of adding their 4" rotary table plus dividing plates with a view to cutting some gears for a model traction engine, but am not yet clear how dividing plates work. The gears I want have 15, 20, 25, 30, 50 and 80 teeth. I don't think there is a problem with the lower numbered teeth, but am not sure about the 80. Anyone familiar with the ArcEuro RT?

      Eddie Price
    • John
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3, 2010
        Eddy,
        They will do 15, 20, 30, they won't do 25, 50 and 80 with the plate supplied.
        the supplied plate for the 4" table has 15 and 28 holes on it.
        The plate's supplied for the 6" table have an extra plate but they can't do 25, 50 and 80.

        John S.

        --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "eddie.price91" <eddie.price91@...> wrote:

        > I have the equivalent of the ArcEuroTrade X1 mill and am thinking of adding their 4" rotary table plus dividing plates with a view to cutting some gears for a model traction engine, but am not yet clear how dividing plates work. The gears I want have 15, 20, 25, 30, 50 and 80 teeth. I don't think there is a problem with the lower numbered teeth, but am not sure about the 80. Anyone familiar with the ArcEuro RT?
        >
        > Eddie Price

      • johann_ohnesorg
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3, 2010
          Buy a 6"/150mm made by Vertex or the 6" sold by grizzly(should be a rebranded vertex). Those are great, clean an dready to use out of the box. They sell all the accessoires one needs and there is enough space to clamp the workpiece and to fit the hold downs. Also, the worm distance to the wheel can be set so there is low to no backlash. This usually is a problem on cheap small rotarys.

          Read here

          http://littlemachineshop.com/instructions/1799DividingPlates.pdf

          and here:

          http://littlemachineshop.com/instructions/RotaryTable.pdf

          You can make any temporary dividing plate to sufficient precision with a piece of cardboard or sheetmetal, depending on how often you want to use it. Your deviation form the wanted angle is divided down by the worm gear,usually 60:1, 40:1 or 72:1. You can work to one degree with a sharp pencil and a good angle. This yields measurement deviations in the minute range. Also, you can use the vernier on the dividing head itself to make a dividing plate. Just don´t overdo it in regards to precison aspects.

          Cheers,
          Johann
        • dfaprinting
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 3, 2010
            The 6 inch will not fit in vertical mode on an X1, there is precious little room with my 4 inch when vertical.

            For cutting the teeth, can't you just use the scale on the table to position it correctly? Yes you will need to do math, but you will probably have to do that math for the dividing plate. I'm probably doing all my work the hard way, but I'm not cutting gears so it's good enough.

            --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "johann_ohnesorg" <bigdukeone@...> wrote:

            > Buy a 6"/150mm made by Vertex or the 6" sold by grizzly(should be a rebranded vertex). Those are great, clean an dready to use out of the box. They sell all the accessoires one needs and there is enough space to clamp the workpiece and to fit the hold downs. Also, the worm distance to the wheel can be set so there is low to no backlash. This usually is a problem on cheap small rotarys.
            >
            > Read here
            >
            > http://littlemachineshop.com/instructions/1799DividingPlates.pdf
            >
            > and here:
            >
            > http://littlemachineshop.com/instructions/RotaryTable.pdf
            >
            > You can make any temporary dividing plate to sufficient precision with a piece of cardboard or sheetmetal, depending on how often you want to use it. Your deviation form the wanted angle is divided down by the worm gear,usually 60:1, 40:1 or 72:1. You can work to one degree with a sharp pencil and a good angle. This yields measurement deviations in the minute range. Also, you can use the vernier on the dividing head itself to make a dividing plate. Just don´t overdo it in regards to precison aspects.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Johann

          • majorityuk2000
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 4, 2010
              See

              http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/projects/rotarytable/UsingARotaryTable.pdf

              for description of how to calculate division ratios possible. Why not go for 84 instead of 80 holes? Equally use the nearest equivalents to the ratios you mention from the table in the document linked above?

              If you really want 80 t then note that to get 1/80th of a rev of the table you would need to rotate the worm 0.9 of a rev. Neither 15 or 28 holes lets you do this, you really need a plate with a multiple of 10 holes. However a 10-hole plate is easily made if you have a rotary table because the holes are spaced 36 degrees apart (or a 20 hole or 30 hole - 18 degrees or 12 degrees). A 25 hole plate is not much harder, to make the 25t and 50t gears - 14 degrees 24 minutes, which is also possible using the degree and minute scales on the table. Small errors in making the plate won't matter much as they get reduced by the ratio of the worm.

              --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "eddie.price91" <eddie.price91@...> wrote:

              > I have the equivalent of the ArcEuroTrade X1 mill and am thinking of adding their 4" rotary table plus dividing plates with a view to cutting some gears for a model traction engine, but am not yet clear how dividing plates work. The gears I want have 15, 20, 25, 30, 50 and 80 teeth. I don't think there is a problem with the lower numbered teeth, but am not sure about the 80. Anyone familiar with the ArcEuro RT?
              >
              > Eddie Price

            • nowdkyle
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 5, 2010
                Or if you're looking for another project, take a look at this. It will index for you. You'll be able to cut any number of teeth.

                http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47007

                Regards,

                Dick K.