Re: [X_Series_Mills] Harbor Freight X1 for $219.87?

  • Stephen Castello
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 31, 2010
      On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 00:10:02 -0000, "hellafastrt"
      <hellafastrt@...> had a flock of green cheek conures squawk
      out:

      >Hey guys, I've been watching the group for maybe a couple months now in anticipation of eventually grabbing an X2 or X3 mill but cruising the harbor freight website I found this
      >
      >http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47158
      >
      >Their Micro Mill is currently listed for $219.87, with a 20% off coupon that's $175.90. Anyone know if this is just be a database error in their pricing update? Anyway, I went ahead and printed out the price since my HF is great about price matching the online store. Just thought I'd throw this out there for anyone looking for a micro-mill.
      >
      >-Jared

      They also dropped the price of their X3 to $699.87
      http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93885

      --

      Stephen

      Aibohphobia, n., The fear of palindromes.
    • ketanswali1
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 1, 2010
        Wooooow,

        USD699 for X3 and USD219.87 for X1 is seriuously low. Before anyone in the U.K. or Europe gets carried away, please remember that these prices do not include direct or indirect taxes!!!, so please avoid trying to use these rates to state "rip-off" Britain/Europe/elsewhere for that matter.

        For you guys in the U.S. - you should make the best of these offers while you can.

        Ketan at ARC.

        --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "gunboatbay" <gunboatbay@...> wrote:

        > Yes, it's correct and they're selling their X3 for $699. With their 20%off coupon it's a real buy compared to other vendors.
        >

        > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "hellafastrt" <hellafastrt@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hey guys, I've been watching the group for maybe a couple months now in anticipation of eventually grabbing an X2 or X3 mill but cruising the harbor freight website I found this
        > >
        > > http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47158
        > >
        > > Their Micro Mill is currently listed for $219.87, with a 20% off coupon that's $175.90. Anyone know if this is just be a database error in their pricing update? Anyway, I went ahead and printed out the price since my HF is great about price matching the online store. Just thought I'd throw this out there for anyone looking for a micro-mill.
        > >
        > > -Jared

      • MICHAEL
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 1, 2010
          Isn't the X1 kinda lightweight? Do most people get at least the X2?

          The X2 at $489.00 still looks pretty good.
          Where do you find the 20% off coupon.

          Michale
          Floriduh
          USA

          --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "hellafastrt" <hellafastrt@...> wrote:

          > Hey guys, I've been watching the group for maybe a couple months now in anticipation of eventually grabbing an X2 or X3 mill but cruising the harbor freight website I found this
          >
          > http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47158
          >
          > Their Micro Mill is currently listed for $219.87, with a 20% off coupon that's $175.90. Anyone know if this is just be a database error in their pricing update? Anyway, I went ahead and printed out the price since my HF is great about price matching the online store. Just thought I'd throw this out there for anyone looking for a micro-mill.
          >
          > -Jared

        • Bob Zawarski
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 1, 2010

            the HF X3 specs are somewhat different than the Grizzly :  table travel (longitudinal)  for the HF is  3" shorter  than  the Grizzly :  Spindle to table distance HF 10"  Grizzly  14 3/4" (his distance is critical for me because I want to mount my Cameron drill press in the spindle to locate holes w/X-Y table.  Is the HF X3 4 3/4" shorter than the Grizzly?
            Bob Zawarski

            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 1, 2010
              On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 15:07:39 -0000, "MICHAEL" <bocamikey@...>
              had a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

              >Where do you find the 20% off coupon.

              In magazines, like Machinist's Workshop and others.

              --

              Stephen

              Black holes suck!
            • Cliff. Johnston
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 1, 2010
                Yes, there are 2 basic X3 models - a larger and a smaller one.  The Grizzly is the larger while the HF is the smaller.

                There have been various posts on this and other groups regarding the replacement of faulty parts under warranty.  The hands-down winner for timely replacement is Grizzly.  I've read some real horror stories about getting warranty replacement parts from HF.

                A company has to be able to make a profit in order to keep its doors open for business.  The bottom line is that no retail company can afford to offer both high quality service and lowest price.  Someone has to pay somewhere along the line for the service.  Grizzly sells a significantly larger X3 milling machine, they charge a wee bit more, and they have the best service.  On the other hand HF sells the smaller X3 milling machine, the have the lowest pricing, and probably one of the worst service departments.

                As we say in Texas, "You pay your money, and you take your chances."  It's all a matter of how big a chance you want to take.

                Cliff. Johnston
                "May the best you've ever seen,
                 Be the worst you'll ever see;"
                from A Scots Toast by Allan Ramsay

                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 1, 2010
                  From what been posted elsewhere, the HF X3 specs are wrong on the web
                  site.

                  Stephen

                  On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 10:18:15 -0500, Bob Zawarski <rzawarski@...>

                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 1, 2010
                    what are the true specs for the HF X3?
                    Bob Zawarski

                    Stephen Castello wrote:

                    From what been posted elsewhere, the HF X3 specs are wrong on the web
                    site.

                    Stephen

                    On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 10:18:15 -0500, Bob Zawarski <rzawarski@rcn. com>
                    had a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

                    >the HF X3 specs are somewhat different than the Grizzly : table travel
                    >(longitudinal) for the HF is 3" shorter than the Grizzly : Spindle
                    >to table distance HF 10" Grizzly 14 3/4" (his distance is critical for
                    >me because I want to mount my Cameron drill press in the spindle to
                    >locate holes w/X-Y table. Is the HF X3 4 3/4" shorter than the Grizzly?
                    >Bob Zawarski

                  • dfaprinting
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 1, 2010
                      With this pricing it is cheaper to buy the entire mill than it is to replace the motor and motor controller. Wish they had this price about 2 weeks ago. Still thinking about maybe grabbing one for my father.
                    • jamesloo283
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 1, 2010
                        I've had my X3 for 3 months now, it has been converted to CNC about 2 weeks ago (minus the limit switches) and running great, for what I need. 3 months ago, the X3 was $999 and I paid $800 with 20% off coupon. At $699 with 20% off, that comes to $560, I'd say just go for it. Don't even worry about how the grizzly's X3 is better or bigger, as long as it meets your intended needs.

                        James

                        --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "gunboatbay" <gunboatbay@...> wrote:

                        > Yes, it's correct and they're selling their X3 for $699. With their 20%off coupon it's a real buy compared to other vendors.
                        >

                        > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "hellafastrt" <hellafastrt@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hey guys, I've been watching the group for maybe a couple months now in anticipation of eventually grabbing an X2 or X3 mill but cruising the harbor freight website I found this
                        > >
                        > > http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47158
                        > >
                        > > Their Micro Mill is currently listed for $219.87, with a 20% off coupon that's $175.90. Anyone know if this is just be a database error in their pricing update? Anyway, I went ahead and printed out the price since my HF is great about price matching the online store. Just thought I'd throw this out there for anyone looking for a micro-mill.
                        > >
                        > > -Jared

                      • ketanswali1
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 2, 2010
                          Having looked into this a little deeper, I know that ALL SIEG distributors around the world, regardless of their buying power, would loose money if the said machines are sold at the 20% discount prices. I am also sure that this 20% discount on these machines will only last until stocks are available at HF.

                          As I said before, all you guys in the U.S.,- make the most of it while you can.

                          Ketan at ARC.

                          --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "ketanswali1" <ketan@...> wrote:

                          > Wooooow,
                          >
                          > USD699 for X3 and USD219.87 for X1 is seriuously low. Before anyone in the U.K. or Europe gets carried away, please remember that these prices do not include direct or indirect taxes!!!, so please avoid trying to use these rates to state "rip-off" Britain/Europe/elsewhere for that matter.
                          >
                          > For you guys in the U.S. - you should make the best of these offers while you can.
                          >
                          > Ketan at ARC.
                          >
                          > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "gunboatbay" <gunboatbay@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Yes, it's correct and they're selling their X3 for $699. With their 20%off coupon it's a real buy compared to other vendors.
                          > >

                          > > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "hellafastrt" <hellafastrt@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Hey guys, I've been watching the group for maybe a couple months now in anticipation of eventually grabbing an X2 or X3 mill but cruising the harbor freight website I found this
                          > > >
                          > > > http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47158
                          > > >
                          > > > Their Micro Mill is currently listed for $219.87, with a 20% off coupon that's $175.90. Anyone know if this is just be a database error in their pricing update? Anyway, I went ahead and printed out the price since my HF is great about price matching the online store. Just thought I'd throw this out there for anyone looking for a micro-mill.
                          > > >
                          > > > -Jared

                        • Bob Zawarski
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 2, 2010
                            there are more than a few reasons why Chinese imports are more expensive in Europe than the US.  The Won is dollar based as the Euro increases against the dollar chinese imports increase in price in Europe but not in the US.  A  VAT does not exist in the US and can be as high as 17%  this is an insidious tax that does not  have nearly the  impact  on the rich  as everyone else.
                            Bob Zawarski

                            ketanswali1 wrote:

                            Having looked into this a little deeper, I know that ALL SIEG distributors around the world, regardless of their buying power, would loose money if the said machines are sold at the 20% discount prices. I am also sure that this 20% discount on these machines will only last until stocks are available at HF.

                            As I said before, all you guys in the U.S.,- make the most of it while you can.

                            Ketan at ARC.

                            --- In X_Series_Mills@ yahoogroups. com, "ketanswali1" <ketan@...> wrote:

                            > > > Their Micro Mill is currently listed for $219.87, with a 20% off coupon that's $175.90. Anyone know if this is just be a database error in their pricing update? Anyway, I went ahead and printed out the price since my HF is great about price matching the online store. Just thought I'd throw this out there for anyone looking for a micro-mill.
                            > > >
                            > > > -Jared

                            .

                          • John
                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 2, 2010
                              Us machines do not have the same CE certification the EC needs. So much of the import price has to be paid as a tax to WEE for when it is disposed off and the 110 volt electronics are less component hungry and cheaper than 240 v European models.

                              It all adds up.

                              John s.

                              --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, Bob Zawarski <rzawarski@...> wrote:

                              > there are more than a few reasons why Chinese imports are more expensive
                              > in Europe than the US. The Won is dollar based as the Euro increases
                              > against the dollar chinese imports increase in price in Europe but not
                              > in the US. A VAT does not exist in the US and can be as high as 17%
                              > this is an insidious tax that does not have nearly the impact on the
                              > rich as everyone else.
                              > Bob Zawarski
                              >
                              > ketanswali1 wrote:
                              > >

                              > > Having looked into this a little deeper, I know that ALL SIEG
                              > > distributors around the world, regardless of their buying power, would
                              > > loose money if the said machines are sold at the 20% discount prices.
                              > > I am also sure that this 20% discount on these machines will only last
                              > > until stocks are available at HF.
                              > >
                              > > As I said before, all you guys in the U.S.,- make the most of it while
                              > > you can.
                              > >
                              > > Ketan at ARC.
                              > >
                              > > --- In X_Series_Mills@ yahoogroups. com
                              > > <mailto:X_Series_Mills%40yahoogroups.com>, "ketanswali1" <ketan@>

                              > > coupon that's $175.90. Anyone know if this is just be a database error
                              > > in their pricing update? Anyway, I went ahead and printed out the
                              > > price since my HF is great about price matching the online store. Just
                              > > thought I'd throw this out there for anyone looking for a micro-mill.

                              > > Going Green: Your Yahoo! Groups resource for green living
                              > > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=14k5fe2s6/M=493064.13814333.13821539.13298430/D=groups/S=1705083319:MKP1/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1265108980/L=/B=keLJBESO5_E-/J=1265101780987456/K=.tSnZx8F1K3lG6rceZpgEA/A=5922843/R=0/SIG=11ckn2mo6/*http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/green/>
                              > >
                              > > Yahoo! Groups
                              > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTJlZTcwcTQwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3NDE2NDM4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA4MzMxOQRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNnZnAEc3RpbWUDMTI2NTEwMTc4MA-->
                              > >
                              > > Switch to: Text-Only
                              > > <mailto:X_Series_Mills-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change%20Delivery%20Format:%20Traditional>,
                              > > Daily Digest
                              > > <mailto:X_Series_Mills-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20Digest>
                              > > . Unsubscribe
                              > > <mailto:X_Series_Mills-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>
                              > > . Terms of Use <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
                              > > .

                            • Bob Zawarski
                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 3, 2010
                                Has anyone on this list actually purchased the HF X3 within the last year.  If so would you be so kind as to measure the maximum spindle to table distance.  10" is too small for what I want to do.
                                Bob Zawarski
                              • dfaprinting
                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 3, 2010
                                  Sieg lists the distance for the X3 as 380mm which is about 15 inches, should be the same for the HF version.

                                • chrisbanninger@bigpond.com
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 3, 2010
                                    > Sieg lists the distance for the X3 as 380mm which is about 15
                                    > inches, should be the same for the HF version.

                                    Sieg makes two column lenghts, the tall one being 100mm or 4" taller than the short one.

                                    You really need to check with your particular dealer. The pictures in the dealer ads do NOT always show the correct X3 model on offer!

                                    The Australian dealer Minitech for example, used at one stage to stock both tall and short X3, combined with short and long tables, some metric and some imperial models, with MT3 and R8 spindle. When I visited a few years ago, they had 7 DIFFERENT X3's in the showroom, all different combinations of above options, all different pricing. Whilst the other dealers selling X3 in Australia had each only one model to choose from, but at a much lower price.

                                    Why should someone want a short table or a short column? Once it costs less (each option did cost about AU$150 extra), and second many home/hobby users have space restrictions in height or width, and third the tall column X3 used to have restrictions wrt the shortest possible spindle to table distance.

                                    Chris
                                  • dfaprinting
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Feb 4, 2010
                                      If a person didn't need to get all the way to the table, I would think that you could make a nice solid block spacer to raise the column up the extra inches you need. That of course will fail if you need the entire range from table to top of column. I've kind of thought of doing this with my X1 since I rarely get the spindle down near the table because you almost always have some type of cutting tool mounted. A 1 inch riser would give a lot of room when working with a rotary table, and 1 inch is an average for the length of the cutters that I normally use. Rarely do I have something clamps directly to the table, most often in a vise which also raises the work.

                                      Just another way to look at the problem that might help.

                                      --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, chrisbanninger@... wrote:

                                      > > Sieg lists the distance for the X3 as 380mm which is about 15
                                      > > inches, should be the same for the HF version.
                                      >
                                      > Sieg makes two column lenghts, the tall one being 100mm or 4" taller than the short one.
                                      >
                                      > You really need to check with your particular dealer. The pictures in the dealer ads do NOT always show the correct X3 model on offer!
                                      >
                                      > The Australian dealer Minitech for example, used at one stage to stock both tall and short X3, combined with short and long tables, some metric and some imperial models, with MT3 and R8 spindle. When I visited a few years ago, they had 7 DIFFERENT X3's in the showroom, all different combinations of above options, all different pricing. Whilst the other dealers selling X3 in Australia had each only one model to choose from, but at a much lower price.
                                      >
                                      > Why should someone want a short table or a short column? Once it costs less (each option did cost about AU$150 extra), and second many home/hobby users have space restrictions in height or width, and third the tall column X3 used to have restrictions wrt the shortest possible spindle to table distance.
                                      >
                                      > Chris

                                    • Bob Zawarski
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Feb 4, 2010
                                        Thanks for the thought

                                        dfaprinting wrote:

                                        If a person didn't need to get all the way to the table, I would think that you could make a nice solid block spacer to raise the column up the extra inches you need. That of course will fail if you need the entire range from table to top of column. I've kind of thought of doing this with my X1 since I rarely get the spindle down near the table because you almost always have some type of cutting tool mounted. A 1 inch riser would give a lot of room when working with a rotary table, and 1 inch is an average for the length of the cutters that I normally use. Rarely do I have something clamps directly to the table, most often in a vise which also raises the work.

                                        Just another way to look at the problem that might help.

                                        --- In X_Series_Mills@ yahoogroups. com, chrisbanninger@ ... wrote:

                                        > > Sieg lists the distance for the X3 as 380mm which is about 15
                                        > > inches, should be the same for the HF version.
                                        >
                                        > Sieg makes two column lenghts, the tall one being 100mm or 4" taller than the short one.
                                        >
                                        > You really need to check with your particular dealer. The pictures in the dealer ads do NOT always show the correct X3 model on offer!
                                        >
                                        > The Australian dealer Minitech for example, used at one stage to stock both tall and short X3, combined with short and long tables, some metric and some imperial models, with MT3 and R8 spindle. When I visited a few years ago, they had 7 DIFFERENT X3's in the showroom, all different combinations of above options, all different pricing. Whilst the other dealers selling X3 in Australia had each only one model to choose from, but at a much lower price.
                                        >
                                        > Why should someone want a short table or a short column? Once it costs less (each option did cost about AU$150 extra), and second many home/hobby users have space restrictions in height or width, and third the tall column X3 used to have restrictions wrt the shortest possible spindle to table distance.
                                        >
                                        > Chris

                                      • drkelton
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Feb 4, 2010
                                          How would you get the Z-axis gears to mesh at the back of an X3, with a riser block?

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Feb 4, 2010
                                            Looking back at the X3 I see that it wouldn't work. Should be more than fine on the X1 since it is handled from the top down (but not SX1). Not sure about the X2.