X3 Mill vertical travel

  • dm11p9e7h4
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2006
      When lowering the head it tends to stick and then move with a small
      jerk that can makes it difficult to make fine depth cuts. Adjustment
      of the screw 63 on the top of the spindle box helps to reduce the
      problem but not eliminate it entirely. Also I find the effort needed
      to wind up the spindle box is considerable. There is no evidence of
      any binding on the main slides. Has anyone else had this problem?
    • Tom Burgess
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
        It's VERY simple...

        The screws that attach the black sheetmetal cover to the back of the column project too far into the space between cover and column.  They protrude so much that the rear surface of the milling head's armature strikes the screws - stopping downward progress.  Mine was/is so bad that it simply will not pass the contact point.  I removed the black cover entirely and found I am able to lower the spindle right down to the table surface(!)

        This is a Grizzly X3.  You (and I) will have to make simple assembly adjustments that move the cover backward about 1/4".  Slotting or re-drilling the two holes at the top of the column and perhaps adding washers/spacers at the bottom...?  I'm not near the mill right now, so I can't recall how the screws are situated a the bottom, but I know it's a pretty simple fix...

        Tom

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006

          When lowering the head it tends to stick and then move with a small
          jerk that can makes it difficult to make fine depth cuts.  Adjustment
          of the screw 63 on the top of the spindle box helps to reduce the
          problem but not eliminate it entirely.
          > For fine movement use the quill not the head.

          Also I find the effort needed to wind up the spindle box is considerable.  There is no evidence of
          any binding on the main slides.  Has anyone else had this problem?
          > I also found this a concern. Some X3 have a pnumatic ram, mine did'nt so I used one off the rear door of my Camry wagon, made winding the head up & down much easer. I do a lot of arbor changing so I ended up motorising the "Z" axis. Now I just press a button. See pics under Murray's X3 Album.

          Murray

        • PowayTed
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
            Hello Murray
            Do you have more info on the Z motor you added ( RPM, HP)  also how did you attach the Z DRO to the spindle.

            The photos don't tell all.

            Tahnks, God bless
            Ted