R8 or MT3

  • Gordon
    Message 1 of 34 , May 1, 2009
      Can someone explain the advantages for/against the 2 respective spindle tapers: R8 or MT3?

      Another question regarding collets. If one purchases an ER Collet set and Collet Chuck for the milling machine, why would it be necessary to buy a Lathe Collet Chuck? Surely the MT3 milling collet chuck could be used in the lathe spindle, could it not?

      Many thanks
      Gordon
    • Gordy
      Message 34 of 34 , May 5, 2009
        Thanks everyone for your comments and advice.
        I guess I will be going the R8 route, for several reasons, the main one being it will be more beneficial to the mill spindle/bearings.
        Also, I feel that using ER32 collets I wouldn't have need for using a drill chuck.
        Regards to all
        Gordon