Re: [X_Series_Mills] Looking for Axis screws

  • Martin Evans
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1 3:01 AM
      On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 22:33:36 -0000, <b-leblanc@... wrote:

      >This may not be the right place but I'm looking for 2 X-axis screws for a x2 or x3 mill. I was told they have 5/8-16 right hand thread. I need them for a manual lift (1 turn = 1/16")
      >I know there's a few places around that sell replacement parts but I'm hoping that someone has done a conversion and has the old screw and matching nut they would like to get rid of.
      >
      >I need two (both need to be the same length and RH so apparently the Y axis is not usable.

      The X and Y axis on the X3 are RH threads - despite the well known X3
      cnc conversion article by Dick Stephens saying otherwise!

      Maybe the Z axis is as well but I never checked.

      --
    • Steve Blackmore
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1 10:14 AM
        On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 19:07:02 +0800, you wrote:

        >the simple solution is 5/8 whitworth threaded rod

        Charles - they aren't Whitworth thread, they are Acme form. The nut's
        fit properly and are adjustable for backlash, unlike cheap Whitworth
        threaded rod.

        Steve Blackmore
        --
      • Ned Seith
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1 10:15 PM

          Greetings,

          My Grizzly G0619 Super X3 mill has right hand 5/8" 10 TPI Acme lead screws for the X and Y axis.

          The Z axis has a right hand 7/8" 10 TPI Acme lead screw.

          An example of typical Acme lead screw costs;

          High quality precision ground Roton 5/8" 10 TPI lead screw stock is available in steel at $6.35 per foot and stainless steel is $20.77 per foot.

          Bronze 5/8" 10 TPI Acme mounting nuts are $25 and steel 5/8" 10 TPI flange nuts are $35 while 5/8" Acme steel hex nuts are $4.

          http://acme-screws.com/

          Enco has Keystone 1018 steel Acme lead screw stock in machine screw sizes of 5/8" 6 TPI and 5/8" 8 TPI at $16 (on sale $11 & $6) for a 3 foot length and $31 (on sale $18 & $22) for 6 foot lengths. Enco has 5/8" Acme steel hex nuts for $4 (on sale $2).

          http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=768&PARTPG=INLMK3&PMITEM=890-9838

          Enco also has expensive Acme taps made in the USA for machine screw sizes:

          http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=93&PMCTLG=00

          http://www.home-machine-shop.com/bits/ACME_Taps.htm

          Ned

          --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "b-leblanc@..." <b-leblanc@...> wrote:

          > Hello all
          > This may not be the right place but I'm looking for 2 X-axis screws for a x2 or x3 mill. I was told they have 5/8-16 right hand thread. I need them for a manual lift (1 turn = 1/16")
          > I know there's a few places around that sell replacement parts but I'm hoping that someone has done a conversion and has the old screw and matching nut they would like to get rid of.
          >
          > I need two (both need to be the same length and RH so apparently the Y axis is not usable.
          >
          > If anyone can help out??
          > Located in Ontario Canada
          > Thanks in advance
          > Mooser

        • Steve Blackmore
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2 12:32 AM
            On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 08:04:30 +0800, you wrote:

            >hallo steve
            >you are right about it being ACME thread and I can see why you are chasing these rods,,,very desirable type of thread

            I'm not chasing them - I've got some I removed on CNC conversion. No
            interest on ebay last time I listed them at scrap metal price.

            Steve Blackmore
            --
          • b-leblanc@rogers.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2 3:33 AM
              I'm just using them on a lifting mechanism and the 1/16 pitch works out nice. I could use 3/4-16 which is readily available, but that's a little large (1/2 would be nicer) and the suggestion that the X2/X3 mills had the 5/8 dia came up. Knowing how many ballscrew conversions that are done I was just looking for someone who had old ones to get rid of.

              Little machine sells new screw for around $15 bucks and the nut's for around 12. Even these are overkill for what I need but I was hoping someone would be willing to part with a set.
              Actually, looks like I've found one, just need one more.
              Thanks to everyone for responding though, interesting topic it seems (and screws over in Australia seem really expensive)
              Mooser

              --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, Steve Blackmore <steve@...> wrote:

              > On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 08:04:30 +0800, you wrote:
              >
              > >hallo steve
              > >you are right about it being ACME thread and I can see why you are chasing these rods,,,very desirable type of thread
              >
              > I'm not chasing them - I've got some I removed on CNC conversion. No
              > interest on ebay last time I listed them at scrap metal price.
              >
              > Steve Blackmore
              > --

            • Christopher Hicks
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 16 6:16 AM
                --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "b-leblanc@..." <b-leblanc@...> wrote:
                > I was told they have 5/8-16 right hand thread. I need them for a manual lift (1 turn = 1/16")

                I think you'll find they're 10TPI, not 16.

                CH
                ==