Mystery Mill

  • Don Hamilton
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 6, 2009
      I am posting from Toronto Canada and have posted some pix in an album named "Mystery Mill".

      My purpose is to identify which of the mini mills available in the US most closely resembles this machine for the purpose of ordering parts and possibly a CNC system for it.

      It is a SEIG X2 I guess, and was purchased at Busy Bee Tools, the wheels are calibrated in MM but are actually in Imperial. I would like to change out the calibration rings to reflect this fact.

      Thanks in advance.

      Don Hamilton
      http://on30.ca
    • radish1us
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 8, 2009
        --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "Don Hamilton" <donvalley@...> wrote:

        > I am posting from Toronto Canada and have posted some pix in an album named "Mystery Mill".
        >
        > My purpose is to identify which of the mini mills available in the US most closely resembles this machine for the purpose of ordering parts and possibly a CNC system for it.
        >
        > It is a SEIG X2 I guess, and was purchased at Busy Bee Tools, the wheels are calibrated in MM but are actually in Imperial. I would like to change out the calibration rings to reflect this fact.
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Don Hamilton
        > http://on30.ca

        Have a real good look at this page and note ALL the different brand names. This machine that you have posted pictures of could be any one of those brands.

        http://littlemachineshop.com/info/minimill.php

        It is just another Seig X2 mini mill, nothing different to IT than any of the other brands AT ALL, other than a strange name sticker on it. You can buy any parts you want, from just about any corner store, for any of these different branded machines.

        So what's SO special about the one you added to the photos?
      • Don Hamilton
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 8, 2009
          Thank you so much for your delightful reply to my honest and I think legitimate question. I am truly indebted to you for taking some of your valuable time to dump on me for not being as intelligent as yourself.

          Does it not strike you as odd that the website you referred me to bothered to make up the comparison matrix they did if all these machines are absolutely identical as you claim?

          I don't know who crapped in your Corn Flakes buddy but it wasn't me.

          Don Hamilton

          --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "radish1us" <radish1us@...> wrote:

          > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "Don Hamilton" <donvalley@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I am posting from Toronto Canada and have posted some pix in an album named "Mystery Mill".
          > >
          > > My purpose is to identify which of the mini mills available in the US most closely resembles this machine for the purpose of ordering parts and possibly a CNC system for it.
          > >
          > > It is a SEIG X2 I guess, and was purchased at Busy Bee Tools, the wheels are calibrated in MM but are actually in Imperial. I would like to change out the calibration rings to reflect this fact.
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance.
          > >
          > > Don Hamilton
          > > http://on30.ca
          > >
          > Have a real good look at this page and note ALL the different brand names. This machine that you have posted pictures of could be any one of those brands.
          >
          > http://littlemachineshop.com/info/minimill.php
          >
          > It is just another Seig X2 mini mill, nothing different to IT than any of the other brands AT ALL, other than a strange name sticker on it. You can buy any parts you want, from just about any corner store, for any of these different branded machines.
          >
          > So what's SO special about the one you added to the photos?

        • Paul Barton
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 9, 2009
            Well said Don.
            It must be wonderful to be born with an infinite supply of knowledge
            like the other guy (who was that guy anyway ?) and be able to contribute
            such knowledge in such a helpful manner.

            I'm sorry I can't help you with your questions about CNC as I haven't
            CNC'd my mill or where to purchase calibration rings, (or maybe there is
            an alternative solution to replacing the rings), but I am sure someone
            will come to the rescue.
            My intention in replying was to convey to you my support for your
            legitimate questions. All questions asked in a polite manner such as
            yours prompt us to exercise the grey matter and that is never a bad
            thing. Likewise all questions deserve a polite response or no response.

            Keep up the good work, whatever it may be.

            Cheers
            Paul from Perth, Western Australia.

            Don Hamilton wrote:

            > Thank you so much for your delightful reply to my honest and I think
            > legitimate question. I am truly indebted to you for taking some of
            > your valuable time to dump on me for not being as intelligent as yourself.
            >
            > Does it not strike you as odd that the website you referred me to
            > bothered to make up the comparison matrix they did if all these
            > machines are absolutely identical as you claim?
            >
            > I don't know who crapped in your Corn Flakes buddy but it wasn't me.
            >
            > Don Hamilton
            >
            > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:X_Series_Mills%40yahoogroups.com>, "radish1us" <radish1us@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:X_Series_Mills%40yahoogroups.com>, "Don Hamilton" <donvalley@>
            > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I am posting from Toronto Canada and have posted some pix in an
            > album named "Mystery Mill".
            > > >
            > > > My purpose is to identify which of the mini mills available in the
            > US most closely resembles this machine for the purpose of ordering
            > parts and possibly a CNC system for it.
            > > >
            > > > It is a SEIG X2 I guess, and was purchased at Busy Bee Tools, the
            > wheels are calibrated in MM but are actually in Imperial. I would like
            > to change out the calibration rings to reflect this fact.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks in advance.
            > > >
            > > > Don Hamilton
            > > > http://on30.ca <http://on30.ca>
            > > >
            > > Have a real good look at this page and note ALL the different brand
            > names. This machine that you have posted pictures of could be any one
            > of those brands.
            > >
            > > http://littlemachineshop.com/info/minimill.php
            > <http://littlemachineshop.com/info/minimill.php>
            > >
            > > It is just another Seig X2 mini mill, nothing different to IT than
            > any of the other brands AT ALL, other than a strange name sticker on
            > it. You can buy any parts you want, from just about any corner store,
            > for any of these different branded machines.
            > >
            > > So what's SO special about the one you added to the photos?

          • Ned Seith
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 9, 2009

              Greetings Don,

              Perhaps, your machine is comparable to the Grizzly G8689:

              http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mini-Milling-Machine/G8689

              Here's the G8689 manual:

              http://www.grizzly.com/images/manuals/g8689_m.pdf

              Here's the G8689 parts list:

              http://www.grizzly.com/images/partslists/g8689_pl.pdf

              Purchase parts option:

              http://www.grizzly.com/products/g8689/parts

              It appears that the dials are Grizzly part number P8689004 at $7.00 each.

              For Sieg X2 CNC conversion try a search on "Sieg X2 CNC Kit":

              http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-305&SpellState=n-2217837962_q-%2Ffy7BWxRViphuIhuOh9QWAAAAA%40%40&p=sieg+x2+cnc+kit&rs=1&fr2=rs-top

              Ned

              http://www.home-machine-shop.com

              --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "Don Hamilton" <donvalley@...> wrote:

              > I am posting from Toronto Canada and have posted some pix in an album named "Mystery Mill".
              >
              > My purpose is to identify which of the mini mills available in the US most closely resembles this machine for the purpose of ordering parts and possibly a CNC system for it.
              >
              > It is a SEIG X2 I guess, and was purchased at Busy Bee Tools, the wheels are calibrated in MM but are actually in Imperial. I would like to change out the calibration rings to reflect this fact.
              >
              > Thanks in advance.
              >
              > Don Hamilton
              > http://on30.ca

            • cba_melbourne
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 10, 2009
                > It is a SEIG X2 I guess, and was purchased at Busy Bee Tools, the
                > wheels are calibrated in MM but are actually in Imperial. I would
                > like to change out the calibration rings to reflect this fact.

                Don, are you sure your X2 has indeed imperial leadscrews? It is very unusual to have an imperial leadscrew with metic graduation (the other way around is very common, because both Taiwan and China are actually metric countries and the X2 is essentially a metric design that gets modified as cheaply as possible for sale in the last remaining imperial markets).

                Anyway, true imperial leadscrews for the X2 would have to be 16TPI. And this makes for a quite strange looking graduation dial. Read about it here, about halfway down the page:

                http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_mill/Features/features.htm

                I guess it would be easy to confuse a 16TPI leadscrew for a 1.5mm leadscrew, and vise versa (16TPI= 1.5875mm, or 1.5mm= 16.93333TPI).
                To find out, check with a dial idicator how much the table moves for 1 exact handwheel revolution. If it moves exactly 1.5mm, then its a metric leadscrew. If it moves exactly 1/16" then its an imperial leadscrew.

                I think the odds are, you have a metric leadscrew with approximated imperial graduations on the dial ring.

                Chris
              • Don Hamilton
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 10, 2009
                  --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, "cba_melbourne" <cba_mel@...> wrote:

                  > > It is a SEIG X2 I guess, and was purchased at Busy Bee Tools, the
                  > > wheels are calibrated in MM but are actually in Imperial. I would
                  > > like to change out the calibration rings to reflect this fact.
                  >
                  > Don, are you sure your X2 has indeed imperial leadscrews? It is very unusual to have an imperial leadscrew with metic graduation (the other way around is very common, because both Taiwan and China are actually metric countries and the X2 is essentially a metric design that gets modified as cheaply as possible for sale in the last remaining imperial markets).
                  >
                  > Anyway, true imperial leadscrews for the X2 would have to be 16TPI. And this makes for a quite strange looking graduation dial. Read about it here, about halfway down the page:
                  >
                  > http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_mill/Features/features.htm
                  >
                  > I guess it would be easy to confuse a 16TPI leadscrew for a 1.5mm leadscrew, and vise versa (16TPI= 1.5875mm, or 1.5mm= 16.93333TPI).
                  > To find out, check with a dial idicator how much the table moves for 1 exact handwheel revolution. If it moves exactly 1.5mm, then its a metric leadscrew. If it moves exactly 1/16" then its an imperial leadscrew.
                  >
                  > I think the odds are, you have a metric leadscrew with approximated imperial graduations on the dial ring.
                  >
                  > Chris

                  Chris,
                  Thanks to you and all the other repliers (save one).

                  I did a test on the leadscrew, 1 rev = 1.5mm on the linear rule mounted on the machine or 0.059" on a dial indicator. Strangely the calibrated collar at the hand wheel shows 0.75mm per revolution?

                  All the scales on the machine are clearly marked "mm", not inches.

                  This machine has a bi-directional drive which I didn't see on the comparison charts of other manufacturers offerings. For what it is worth I have been told that a relationship exists between Grizzly in the US and Busy Bee in Canada.

                  Thanks again

                  Don Hamilton
                • Steve Blackmore
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 10, 2009
                    On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 15:20:55 -0000, you wrote:

                    >This machine has a bi-directional drive which I didn't see on the comparison charts of other manufacturers offerings. For what it is worth I have been told that a relationship exists between Grizzly in the US and Busy Bee in Canada.

                    What's that then? Both box shifters with poor after sales support?

                    Couldn't resist....

                    Steve Blackmore
                    --
                  • Don Hamilton
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 11, 2009
                      --- In X_Series_Mills@yahoogroups.com, Steve Blackmore <steve@...> wrote:

                      > On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 15:20:55 -0000, you wrote:
                      >

                      > >This machine has a bi-directional drive which I didn't see on the comparison charts of other manufacturers offerings. For what it is worth I have been told that a relationship exists between Grizzly in the US and Busy Bee in Canada.
                      >
                      > What's that then? Both box shifters with poor after sales support?
                      >
                      > Couldn't resist....
                      >
                      > Steve Blackmore
                      > --

                      ----------------------------
                      Try harder.
                      ----------------------------
                      Please.
                    • Steve Blackmore
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 11, 2009
                        On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 13:30:18 -0000, you wrote:

                        >box shifters with poor after sales support

                        >Try harder.

                        Yes - they should..

                        Steve Blackmore
                        --
                      • radish1us
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 12, 2009
                          Well, mr " DH ", I'll ask again, what's so special about the el-cheapo Sieg X 2 you've got your hands on ?

                          It's still just an ordinary X 2, but your hoping it might be something special, well it aint.

                          Think you better go back to the Little Machine Shop and ACTUALLY ask the hard question of "what's the REAL difference between ALL the different brands?

                          Answer mr DH, is just the colour of the paint, dont believe it, eh, then you better go ask, or is your initials your actual normal self.
                        • arthurok
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 12, 2009
                            this  is  mr.  AO;
                            lms   taught  me   about  this  fact  when i  bought  a  used  7x12  mini lathe  that needed  repair.
                            i  have  a grizzly  g0602     10x22  lathe   and  grizzly  x3   milling  machine  now
                            still  have  the  homier 7x12  lathe
                            the  super  x3  uses  alot  of  diffrent  parts  from  the  simple  x3  g0643   that  i  have

                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 12, 2009
                              Charles,

                              The answer is yes, he can be placed on moderated status.  As an assistant moderator I hesitate to do that without the list owners agreement.  I checked the messages posted by radish1us and he has been quiet since 6-1-2008 so maybe he will start lurking again soon.

                              John D. Guenther
                              'Ye Olde Pen Maker'
                              Sterling, Virginia

                              is there any chance of putting a block on this character
                              Charles

                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 12, 2009
                                Hi Don,

                                The bi-directional drive you mentioned is an additional cost add on, offered
                                by some sellers and also available from LMS. Micro-Mark sells it for
                                $152.75 in the most recent catalog I received. These mills are all
                                basically the same, some may be built to a slightly higher price point with
                                better QC at the factory or by the reseller. They are all fairly good
                                machines as long as you work within the capabilities of the machines size
                                and power. Most people who have bought the X2 are happy with it for a first
                                mill and many people do beautiful work with them.

                                Thanks for asking your questions, and keep on asking them as there a is a
                                wealth of knowledge available on this group.

                                John D. Guenther
                                'Ye Olde Pen Maker'
                                Sterling, Virginia