Re: Fly Cutter Bit

  • verellboaen
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2008
      I've been using 1/4" & 3/8" square shaft indexable lathe bits with good
      success. The inserts that came with the sets have sharp (1/64" radius)
      points, so you have to feed extremely slowly to get a smooth finish.

      I've been meaning to try 1/32" radius point inserts like the LMS 1725
      TCMW-21.52 HSS bit, or the LMS 3417 TCMT-21.52 carbide insert.
      Unfortunately they only carry the 1/64" radius 1/4" inserts.

      I believe the larger radius will give an extremely smooth finish &
      allow somewhat faster feed rates when fly cutting, it certainly does
      when turning Al or brass on my lathe.

      The depth of the cut must be kept to about 0.001" to 0.002". Also your
      mill's tramming must be dead on or you'll get a much rougher finish
      feeding in one direction vs the reverse direction.