Phoenix storyline for X3

  • Donna
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
      I am not one who knows the comics all too well and wondered if some
      kind soul might inform me on Wolverine's part in the Phoenix story.
      There has been all this chat here and elsewhere about the future
      filming of an all Wolverine film - possibly going along the Origins
      storyline. I had heard elsewhere that Wolvie would be in X3. If
      Hugh is on board for the Wolvie solo project, how would he be able
      to be a part of X3? Is Wolverine going to be a part of X3 at all?
      I suppose we would need to keep in mind that the end of X2 found
      Wolvie realizing that Jean belonged to Scott - she chose and he
      understood. If Jean returns as the Phoenix, is there a chance she
      might change her mind and chase Wolvie or does anyone know if the
      storyline might stick with the story being focused only on her and
      Scott and leave Wolvie to his own movie?

      Hope I haven't confused anyone but any info would be a huge help.

      Donna
    • Bob Mayberry
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
        Okay, here's the comics for the Pheonix Saga:

        Wolverine was mainly just fighting off all the bad guys alongside the X-Men
        at this point, I'm not sure if the love triangle was introduced yet. The new
        X-Men hadn't been formed for very long at this time and during the Pheonix
        saga they got their first taste of battling Magneto. It mainly exploited his
        character for the fight scenes since the character was still a very young
        one (young as in terms he'd been created in 1974 to battle the Hulk, joined
        the X-Men in 1975, but Cyclops and Jean had been around since September
        1963) and not as developed as he became in the 1980s and since. So his role
        wasn't all that big. At the time Wolverine wasn't thought of as that big of
        or as important of a character as he is today.

        Now here's the comics for the Dark Pheonix Saga:

        The Dark Pheonix Saga on the other hand occurred in the early 1980s I
        believe. By this time the love triangle was a bit established, and Wolverine
        did play a sorta intregal part. Cyclops was falling for Dazzler, but he did
        still love Jean...and so did Wolverine, and where Cyclops failed Logan tried
        to succeed. Also the one classic battle occurred during that Saga where
        Wolverine, after falling to the basement of the Hellfire Club, fights off
        those robot type guys and fights his way back up to where the rest of the
        X-Men have been captured by the Inner Circle. Also the Dark Saga introduced
        Kitty Pryde, but at the time it was mainly Storm who was her friend (she was
        afraid of Nightcrawler, and I don't think Wolvie had really grown close to
        her yet).

        Now for the 1990s cartoon Pheonix Saga:

        This is where Logan and Scott both were fighting for her love because that
        had already been a sub-plotline of the cartoon for awhile. It pretty much
        followed the comics, but with the cartoon's cast of characters and being set
        in the 1990s instead of 1970s instead.

        Now for the 1990s cartoon Dark Pheonix Saga:

        Again, this really, really played upon Wolvie's love for Jean...in fact, in
        her Black Queen form she apologizes to Logan before using her power against
        him. When it came to fighting the Shi'ar guard Wolvie possibly fought the
        fiercest in order to save Jean's life...but was struck down.

        Now I'd keep in mind that they most likely aren't going to faithfully adapt
        the comics or cartoon. The Pheonix Saga had everything from Sentinel battles
        on Earth and in space, alien empires, Magneto's return from infancy, a short
        sidetrack in the Savage Land, the space pirates called Starjammers (lead by
        Cyclops' father, Corsair), and even elves who lived at Banshee's ancestral
        castle home where they fight Black Tom and Juggernaut!

        And the Dark Pheonix Saga introduced Kitty Pryde & Dazzler, the White Queen
        was with the Inner Circle of the Hellfire Club, and Mastermind was
        controlling Jean/Pheonix! Plus there were the space battles in that saga
        too.

        I'm thinking X3 will have Sentinels. It's the next progressive thing, and
        Sebastion Shaw (mutant leader of the Inner Circle) will most likely be
        behind them instead of Trask.

        Also, from what I remember, when Bryan Singer was going to do the films X3 &
        X4 would've been shot together, and then the Wolverine spin-off or the
        Wolvie film & X3 would've been shot together. I don't think doing Wolvie's
        origin would make a good film...because nobody really agrees on what his
        origin really is!

        Sincerely,
        Exchronos

        >From: "Donna" <sunny19682@...>
        >To: X_MEN_FILMS@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [X_MEN_FILMS] Phoenix storyline for X3
        >Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 11:45:31 -0000
        >

        >I am not one who knows the comics all too well and wondered if some
        >kind soul might inform me on Wolverine's part in the Phoenix story.
        >There has been all this chat here and elsewhere about the future
        >filming of an all Wolverine film - possibly going along the Origins
        >storyline. I had heard elsewhere that Wolvie would be in X3. If
        >Hugh is on board for the Wolvie solo project, how would he be able
        >to be a part of X3? Is Wolverine going to be a part of X3 at all?
        >I suppose we would need to keep in mind that the end of X2 found
        >Wolvie realizing that Jean belonged to Scott - she chose and he
        >understood. If Jean returns as the Phoenix, is there a chance she
        >might change her mind and chase Wolvie or does anyone know if the
        >storyline might stick with the story being focused only on her and
        >Scott and leave Wolvie to his own movie?
        >
        >Hope I haven't confused anyone but any info would be a huge help.
        >
        >Donna
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Leon Domini
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2004

          I personally hope they don't go for a Phoenix story yet. They should let The ohther chacacters develope more. Since dichotomies are such a big part of the first 2 films it should carry on to the 3rd aswell; Hellfire club vs Morlocks and the X-Men get caught in the middle with Storm as leader(cause Cyke is still too distressed). Rogue can gain powers in the crossfire and Colossus can have a bigger part.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          click here

          Do you Yahoo!?
        • Iceykid6
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 4, 2004

            I agree, except maybe dedicate the first part to the whole “character-development” part, and then add some middle/end to the Phoenix Epic. As well as Colossus, Jubilee needs a bigger part lol (im a big Jubes fan). Also, I highly doubt that they WOULDN’T put phoenix in it since the ending of X2 had the phoenix in the water. Foreshadowing…..

            -JoJo

            I personally hope they don't go for a Phoenix story yet. They should let The ohther chacacters develope more. Since dichotomies are such a big part of the first 2 films it should carry on to the 3rd aswell; Hellfire club vs Morlocks and the X-Men get caught in the middle with Storm as leader(cause Cyke is still too distressed). Rogue can gain powers in the crossfire and Colossus can have a bigger part.

          • Jon K. Carroll
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 4, 2004
              They need to decide on a director first...

              > I agree, except maybe dedicate the first part to the whole
              > "character-development" part, and then add some middle/end to the
              > Phoenix Epic. As well as Colossus, Jubilee needs a bigger part lol (im a
              > big Jubes fan). Also, I highly doubt that they WOULDN'T put phoenix in
              > it since the ending of X2 had the phoenix in the water. Foreshadowing...
              >
              > -JoJo

            • Angela Mahoney
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 5, 2004
                Iceykid6 wrote:

                > I agree, except maybe dedicate the first part to the whole
                > ?character-development? part, and then add some middle/end to the
                > Phoenix Epic. As well as Colossus, Jubilee needs a bigger part lol (im
                > a big Jubes fan). Also, I highly doubt that they WOULDN?T put phoenix
                > in it since the ending of X2 had the phoenix in the water.
                > Foreshadowing?..

                Couldn't they just bring Phoenix back in X3, leave that to set up for
                Dark
                Phoenix in X4, and let the rest of the movie focus on other characters?
                Then Storm/Colossus/Shadowcat or whoever else can get some desperately
                needed character development, *and* they'll have time to establish
                *good*
                Phoenix before turning her evil...

                Just a thought... since I want to see Storm get more to do, but I also
                don't
                want them to leave Jean dead for the whole third movie...

                Zarell